Hotels in Beijing

Search

Hotels in Beijing

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Beijing

Shangri La or Hilton are 2 choices that I have been offered for part of the tour package for Beijing.

Anyone stayed at either. Went on both web sites but the Shangri La doesn't really show very much. We have stayed at the Sydney Shangri La and we really enjoyed it. Can anyone help
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM

There are two Hiltons in Beijing. My guess, though, is that you'll be at the older property, on the northeast Third Ring Road.

Both have the benefit of being long-established but having kept a lot of staff a long time, which means they know what they're doing. Both hotels have recently been refurbished. On service Shangri-La has the edge, but if you have any free time you may prefer the location of the Hilton, which is closer to the airport, although the Shangri-La's position is almost a mirror image on the northwest Third Ring. The Hilton is nearer to a long of hang-outs (bars, shopping complexes, restaurants) favoured by expats. (I wouldn't call this a plus, but you might.) It's also closer to odd attractions like the 798 Art Zone. And if you do have free time, the HIlton is in walking distance of a metro station, while the Shangri-La is not.
The Shangri-La is well-positioned for the Summer Palace, however, and indeed has it's own canal boat to take you there by water, avoiding all the traffic. It has more facilities overall than the Hilton does, and larger public spaces. Blu Lobster provided Beijing's best non-Chinese meal when I last ate there, although that chef has now left. The Shangri-La is also right next to the Wanshuo Si, a temple with an interesting history, now doubling as a museum of traditional arts, and well worth a visit.

I assume you'll be in the smallest standard rooms usually given to tour groups, and in this case the edge would go to the Shangri-La, but a small margin.

Overall, If getting about by yourself is important (because your tour gives you free time) I'd have to choose the Hilton for the metro access. If you'll have little time to yourself, and/or would like to use whatever time you have to visit the Summer Palace independently or stroll around an area with far fewer foreigners, then the Shangri-La would be my choice.

If the Hilton in question is the Wangfujing property, however, I'd choose that just for its central location and proximity to the metro (again assuming you have free time, although overall this property has far larger rooms, too). If you'll be staying in the newest of the Shangri-La's towers (probably something you can't know, known as the Valley Wing), that would clinch its winning position. Those rooms are large, very well-designed, with excellent views, and their own lounge, etc., which vies with that of the Regent for the title of Beijing's largest. Unless you're on a very up-market tour, it's unlikely you'd be in that wing, however. But overall the public spaces of the Shangri-La make the Hilton's look a bit dowdy.

Sorry that's a bit stream-of-consciousness, but I hope it helps.

Peter N-H
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Beijing is spread out like Los Angeles.
Depends on what you want to do in Beijing.
The two hotels lie on opposite directions.
They are about the same class.
Shangri-La Beijing, on west 3rd ring road in Beijing, is one of the oldest 5 star hotels in Beijing.
Beijing Hilton on East 3rd ring road is newer.
I stayed in this hotel not too long ago, imo, the service was not really compatible to its class.
Traffics near both hotels are lousy in the day time.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the in depth replys. Not sure which hotel yet. My DH and I will arrive 1 day ahead of the tour so that we have a slight edge on time difference. Once our tour starts, we will be under their care,etc.with everything planned Thanks again for all the knowledge. It is very helpful.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM

I like the Shangri La hotels frm my previous experiences but never stayed at one in Beijing. I think its a bit further out than I like to be. The Hilton is probably closer for getting around places and the Metro is a plus. I have never been to Lasies street but I would like to visit it and its near the Hotel. It is a more "western area" as Peter states but its still fun to see the mix. I think the hotel is near "long Island" which is recommended by a Chinese friend for good (not dodgy) massages at nice prices compared to the crappy ones the hotels offer. Let us know where you stay.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:17 PM

there is one more Hiton opened in Beijing,very good location,in Wangfujing Street.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Hi, shar!

The Shangri-La chain has several hotels in Beijing. Only one is called the "Shangri-La".

They also run the China World hotel at the World Trade Center and right around the corner from that is the Traders Hotel. These are both fairly centrally located.

There's also the Kerry Centre which is located in the Chaoyang area. This is in the diplomatic area but very close to a metro stop.

Can you check and see whether the choice is the actual Shangri-La Hotel on the west side (too far away) or whether it's one of their more centrally located hotels?
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. this gives me a lot to work with....