Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore airport taxi fare (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-airport-taxi-fare-477817/)

fiona Oct 1st, 2004 06:58 AM

Singapore airport taxi fare

Can anyone give a very rough estimate of a taxi fare from the airport to Orchard Road?

Guenmai Oct 1st, 2004 04:50 PM

I go to Singapore quite a bit and it probably won't be anymore than about US$10.00. I'd have to look in my travel journal for what I paid from the airport to Dhoby Gaut MRT station area which is two stops from Orchard. I'll post it to you on Monday. Happy Travels!

Kathie Oct 1st, 2004 06:53 PM

There is a 50% surcharge if you are traveling between midnight and 6 am which is when my flight from the US arrives...

shenwai Oct 1st, 2004 09:49 PM

You can also try taking the MRT (train) from airport to Orchard - certainly chaper and convenient provided:
- you are not carrying too much luggage (you will need to change at one interchange).
- the place you are going to in Orchard is near the MRT station.

-S

fiona Oct 2nd, 2004 06:14 AM

thanks for the replies. We went this year and are returning next year. This year transfers were included but I have been quoted £20 ( about $35)for booking transfers for next year.Price is not for a return. We actually go to Singapore twice- on the way to and from Bali so the costs certainly mount up. Think we will just grab an airport taxi!

Kathie Oct 2nd, 2004 06:30 AM

You are so right, fiona, airport taxis will be much cheaper, even if you opt for a London cab. And the taxi queues at Changi are perhaps the most effiicient I've seen anywhere.

Tiger_Lily Oct 3rd, 2004 08:33 PM

Hi Fiona,

The 20 pounds fee isn't for a return?? I wouldn't sign up for that at all. Have no worries to not have transfer plans in advance. Just get out of the departure area and the join the normal taxi queue. It's what the locals do. It's systematic and little waiting time.

There is an airport surcharge. S$5 from 5pm to midnight (Fri - Sun) and S$3 all other times. If it's anywhere near or past midnight, the fare is 50% extra as Kathie said.

One of the cab company's website is at www. citycab.com.sg

Cheers
Tiger Lily

JamesA Oct 4th, 2004 05:26 AM

My most recept trip was I think about SGD18 to the Meridien on Orchard, but it was less going back, about SGD 13. There is a $5 surcharge from the airport so that works about right.

Guenmai Oct 4th, 2004 09:34 AM

OK...I've looked in my travel jopurnal and I paid...S$16.00 (US$9.52). from the airport to my hotel at 1 Orchard Road...next to the Dhouby Gaut(subway) station. This was the daytime rate.If you are staying in the touristy part of Orchard Road then add about S$2.00 to that fare. I was just there in August. Happy Travels!

fiona Oct 7th, 2004 07:00 AM

thanks again for all the helpful replies. No way am I booking transfers!!