Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore Air or Eva Air? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-air-or-eva-air-496906/)

Equinoxa Jan 20th, 2005 08:18 AM

Singapore Air or Eva Air?

I'm torn on which airline to take going to Manila from New York. My main concern is comfort, service & the most direct, shortest flight possible.

The most comfortable coach seats I've found are from Eva Air (Evergreen Deluxe) and Singapore Air (Executive Economy). I am inclined to take SIN because of their service. The problem is the inbound flight. Outbound flight from EWR-SIN-MNL offer the new executive economy seats with only 1 stop is perfect BUT coming back, the inbound flight from MNL-SIN-EWR has a layover of 14.5 hours in Singapore. My choice is either to get a hotel in Singapore or take the flight from MNL-SIN-FRA-JFK but with regular coach seats & 2 stops. Is the 14.5 layover worth it? If so, what's there to do in Singapore? I will be getting to SIN at 9:30 PM and the next flight is at 12:05 PM the day after.

OR should I just go with Eva Air which offers both 1 stop inbound & outbound flights from EWR? How is Eva's service & food? Eva is $150 more than Singapore.

One last thing, when is the best time to buy tickets? I'm traveling first week of April. Any help is much appreciated.

JamesA Jan 20th, 2005 12:01 PM

You would find Singapore Airlines Premium Economy on their NYC non-stops somewhat better than Eva Air de-luxe as the aircraft has been designed especially for those long non-stops. You get 2x3x2 instead of 2x4x2 plus extra legroom and enhanced service. But from SIN to MNL you would be normal Economy probably on a B777 but service is good anyhow.
Eva Air's is good with 2x4x2 instead of 3x4x3 but the service is same as 'normal economy'.
I would thave though Singapore would have been more.

It's not that easy as both are good and both have their benefits, does either one has a major time saving over the other? I wouldn't worry about the 14.5 hrs layover in SIN, I would just get a room at the Changi Meridien ( about SGD 140 a night, free shuttle or head downtown which only takes 20-25 mins ), relax, have a swim.
But that very roughly brings the price similar.

Not an easy choice comparing 2 good airlines, perhaps you could throw in to the scenario Mileage rewards! on SQ you would pick up Star Alliance Mileage ( use on UA for example ), you might get some good bonus miles on the NYC non stop premium service, I don;'t know about Eva Mileage but someone knows I am sure.

Not an easy choice!

JamesA Jan 20th, 2005 12:04 PM

Sorry, Eva's deluxe Economy does have some extras service-wise over normal economy. I guess at a crunch I personaly might opt for the Singapore service, but the mileage earnings would be worth considoring.

rkkwan Jan 20th, 2005 12:32 PM

One can earn CO OnePass miles when flying EVA (BR). Check CO's website for eligible fare class.

However, according to CO's website, CO elite qualifying miles (EQM) can only be earned on CO's codeshare to Taipei. None from Taipei onwards. On flyertalk.com, people have reported that they can get their EQM on BR flights between the US and Taipei even on a BR ticket, as long as that flight has a CO flight number. If EQM is important to you, search the CO OnePass forum at www.flyertalk.com for details and confirmation.

rv224 Jan 21st, 2005 03:39 AM

Many people have long layovers in Singapore - the airport has offered many things to do in less than a day - you can take a free tour of the city, watch movies at the free theater in airport, or lounge at the roof top pool.

For things to do at changi airport - read this article:
http://www.frommers.com/deals/airfar...f%20the%20Wait

Also, you can do a lot in singapore. Visit the singapore's tourism website:
http://www.visitsingapore.com

Equinoxa Jan 21st, 2005 09:13 AM

Thanks, guys. You've all been very helpful. After further research, I've booked tix on Eva via travel agent offering $450 less than published rate. Eva also had better flights. Actually, I was willing to pay $200 more for SIN even with the 14.5 layover but I just noticed that I lose a day flying with SIN., i.e., SIN outbound flt leaves EWR on a Fri, 11:30 PM and won't get to MNL until Sun, 1:30 PM and inbound flt leaves MNL on Fri PM & arrives EWR on Sat. PM! Whereas, Eva leaves 1 hour later than SIN & arrives MNL exactly a full day early than SIN and departs MNL on a Sat & arrives EWR the same day. So what gives?

jvrab12 Jan 21st, 2005 09:25 AM

Equinoxa-
what travel agent did you use to Book your EVA ticket? I am going to book a ticket with them very soon.
Thanks.

rkkwan Jan 21st, 2005 09:40 AM

If you leave New York late Friday night (or really really early Saturday morning), you'll always get to Manila Sunday around lunch time. SQ will arrive SIN early Sunday morning, and BR will arrive TPE the same time as well. The BR route is shorter, but you add a stop in Seattle to refuel. Journey time is about the same.

Equinoxa Jan 21st, 2005 01:02 PM

I don't know the name of the travel agency just the name of agent & tel.

Lorna Ovina - 718-335-1254

Eva Air evergreen deluxe seats
R/T from EWR-MNL = $1,350 (wkend)

if you're traveling on a wkday, it will be cheaper.