Singapore: A Foodie's Paradise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a great appetite for Singaporean/Malaysian/Indian food and hope to get a taste of real authenticity while I am in Singapore. I am keen on visiting the local hawker centres and would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to where I may find the best:

1. laksa
2. char kway teow
3. chicken rice
4. mee rebus
5. roti prata and/or murtabak
6. mee goreng

Many thanks to those of you who respond to my request for information!
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:55 AM

ah...food in singapore, heaven. my favorite roti prata is found at abc restaurant in katong on jooi chiat rd, just 5 min. from parkway mall in marine parade. was there in feb. and will be going back there again in a couple of weeks. i loved it so much that i ordered take out to bring it back with me. a large pot of the curry cost sd$8.00. i got the prata from fair price store. i frozen both and am now enjoying it at home. you can buy the prata at most grocery stores such as cold storage. also, there's a good laksa place in katong, but don't recall the name. don't forget to try the penang hokkien mee(prawn mee). i have had all the items on your list at various places, and they were all good. but the roti is terrific at abc. bon appetite.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation kuranosuke! I will certainly try the roti prata at ABC Restaurant. Prawn mee is also another one of my favourite dishes, so I will not miss out on that. I have read a few posts about chili crab and I have heard of crab bee hoon. Are both considered typical Singaporean food?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:52 AM

don't know too much about crab bee hoon, but anything "bee hoon" could be typical of food along the whole peninsular. as far as chili crab, i always thought of it as a singaporean dish. i love it, especially along the east coast park. they have a whole slew of restaurants along side each other, all serving chili crab among other seafood delights. are you planning on going to apollo banana leaf for some fishhead curry. one of my favorite places in little india. the servings are quite large so it may not be feasible if you go by yourself. you can get fishhead curry at almost any restaurant. do us foodies a favor and post your experiences, good and bad, as you journey on the singapore gastronomic highway. cheers.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

kuranosuke, thanks again for your insights. I do love curry, unfortunately I am not a very big fan of fishhead curry... As soon as I land on the island and have my first bite of roti prata, I will most definitely share my thoughts about Singapore food on this forum! Chow for now.