Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Singapore - 1 day stop over - where to eat, shop and stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/singapore-1-day-stop-over-where-to-eat-shop-and-stay-481658/)

Frances_Josephine Oct 21st, 2004 06:00 AM

Singapore - 1 day stop over - where to eat, shop and stay?

I have a day and night in Singapore in November. I cannot wait to eat, am happy to shop a little ( I need an ipod and gifts)and I would like to rest before my flight home.
Which hotel; Raffles, Ritzcarlton or Berjaya or none of these?
Which restuarants,hawker markets, malls and shops to visit?
Is there a good health spa for a massage?

Frances_Josephine Oct 21st, 2004 10:52 AM

topping - FJ

Kathie Oct 21st, 2004 11:25 AM

There are a wealth of great hotels in Singapore. Which one to choose really depends on what you are looking for. There are also excellent spas. When I was looking at hotels in Singapore, I noted that Raffles the Plaza (not THE Raffles, but across the street, a modern Tower that they manage)has a spa package you could book. I considered it for when I first arrived in Singapore to recover from jetlag.

I don't know where you are coming from, but elcetronics in Singapore are more expensive than in the US, but less expensive than in Europe.

Guenmai Oct 21st, 2004 12:09 PM

I don't know your budget. I go to Singapore often for vacation and usually stay at the YMCA International Hotel at 1 Orchard Road...S$75.00. It's next to the Dhoby Gaut MRT (subway) station...right in the middle of town.Great place.If you want a higher class establishment, then I'd say check into the Rendevous Hotel which is directly across the street from the YMCA International House Hotel. It's a four-star establishment.My best friend stayed there on my reccommendation and loves the place and only stays there now. Then you are only two stops...on the MRT... in one direction...from the heart of Orchard Road and one or two stops from The Raffles Hotel...in the other direction...can't beat the location. Or you can taxi everywhere from there at quite reasonable prices.As for food, it's definitely Indochine Restaurant on Club Street in East China Town...make a reservation and Thanying Thai restaurant at Clarke's Quay which now that the new MRT line has been completed it's only one stop fromn the Dhoby Gaut MRT station to Clarke's Quay...no need to taxi anymore. I would do Indochine restaurant during the day and then visit the Sri Marriaman Hindu Temple around the corner and the interior design boutiques on Club Street and then I'd do Thanying Thai restaurant at night. Clarke's Quay is a lively night spot with lots of restaurants and activity. It's too bad you don't have more time in Singapore. There is a lot to do. Definitely go to the Asian Civilization's Museum...a must! Oh, the Ritz Carlton is fabulous if you have the marina view, but it's far from things so you'll have to taxi everywhere...and for one day it's not worth it...plus it's a bit formal at the Ritz. As for the Raffles...totally overpriced in my opinion. Happy Travels!

Ericka Oct 21st, 2004 03:13 PM

We had a wonderful 1 night stay last year - Ritz Carlton - and really liked it a lot. The views from the Marina rooms make the price worth every penny.

Don't worry about the cab fares - it's all pretty inexpensive compared to what we pay for a cab in the US.

kuranosuke Oct 21st, 2004 08:30 PM

guenmai; sorry to report that thanying in clarke quay has been closed for four months now. only other one open other than thanying express in takashimaya, is at the amara hotel. will be going there for dinner this sunday.

fj; i rec. the east coast seafood center. its a popular place, so i think most cab drivers will know the place.

Frances_Josephine Oct 22nd, 2004 12:51 AM

I am most grateful to you for your replies to my questions. I will take it all into account when planning my trip. Thank you, FJ

Walter_Walltotti Oct 22nd, 2004 07:16 AM

Get a Garden Wing room at The Shangri La. The hotel has 3 wings the Tower wing , the garden wing and the uber-luxurious Valley wing.

The Garden wing has wonderful flower filled balcony's overlooking a fantastic pool area, and you 5 minutes walk from the heart of the action in Orchard Rd.

LucyHo Oct 22nd, 2004 08:34 PM

The Singapore MRT allows you to go from one place to another cheaply. Bugis Junction is quite good for shopping, the Allson Hotel is very reasonable.

giant Oct 29th, 2004 01:02 AM

Ritz carlton...definitely the best!But around the area, you could settle for Westin Stamford and get a room high up and experience a magical view of the marina bay, the Padanf, Esplanade and if you get a room facing the city, it's still worth the sight. As for a health spa, theres one at Plaza Hotel, again a short ride $3.50 from ritz or westin. Food is something which you should not be worried about.Just take a walk down SeaH street if you are staying at westin and you wold be spoily for choice. For local flava...it's 24hrs "makan"(eating) place here in Singapore. Ignore the high end restaurant unless you are dying for one...if tats the case then just drop by at Pregos at westin for an excellent Italian or Mortons at Marina Mandarin (opp westin) for a sinful steak or if you are hungry at 3 am, just walk don the street to Lau Pa Sat for a aqol time favourite Satay.
Anything just drop me a mail at [email protected]

dlh Oct 29th, 2004 02:24 AM

Hi Frances,
Just to avoid any confusion - the Westin is no longer and it is now two hotels the Swisshotel on one side and Raffles the Plaza on the other. R the P is the more high end of the two and both are managed by Raffles Group. Amrita spa is located in Raffles the Plaza and Prego is still there - just no longer part of the Westin - just as you exit R the P headed towards Raffles City. Frances, did you decide on Raffles the Plaza? Let us know where you stay and what you think! Have a great trip!

Walter_Walltotti Oct 29th, 2004 10:46 AM

Morton's, I think, is in The Oriental Hotel next door to the Marina Mandarin.

The Oriental is currently closed for a refurb but I believe the restaurant is open as normal.

stockexchanger Oct 30th, 2004 03:06 PM

Hi....where do you live ? (what country). If you are from the US, don't buy an iPod there, it is more expensive (we priced them). Although if you are an electronics person you may enjoy going through Sim Lim City, a huge shopping mall of electronics. We DID buy some cool accessories there (in my family we have 5 ipods...2 regular 3 minis). Headphones, cases etc. that you can't get in the USA. We stayed at the RC...very reasonable rate even for the club floor, which included drinks, bfast, snacks, etc. Nice work out room. We liked the Banana Leaf, where you eat with your hands (if you want to ) from a huge banana leaf they put on your table.
You will have a great time.

dlh Nov 1st, 2004 12:16 AM

Hi again Frances,
One more quick suggestion - for an really great lunch book at White Bait and Kale (weird and not terribly appetizing name but still definitely the "hottest" lunch restaurant at the moment). Fantastic food but be sure to make reservations if you are interested in eating lunch here. Also, just in case you are thinking about it, I wouldn't recommend trying to walk to Lau Pa Sat - IMO it would REALLY be a serious hike.
Have a super trip!

kilofoxtrot Nov 7th, 2004 10:44 PM

The hotest restaurant in town is a local secret called Iggy's on the 3rd floor of the Regent Hotel Singapore. The entrance is so small you can't even find it. The operator used to be from Singapore's top restaurant Les Amis.
Food is one of the best modern international cuisine, at about USD 60 only.
http://food.asia1.com.sg/gdfd/res_20040912_002.shtml