Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   simpsonc510 update on Phuket? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/simpsonc510-update-on-phuket-561890/)

123Go Sep 30th, 2005 07:37 PM

simpsonc510 update on Phuket?

can you give us your observations of Phuket from your recent visit?

rhkkmk Sep 30th, 2005 07:41 PM

she is eating her breakfast but will be on line shortly...i have her on my web cam.....

123Go Sep 30th, 2005 07:44 PM

she can take her time, don't want her to get indigestion. I'll check back later. btw, who else do you have on your webcam?

simpsonc510 Sep 30th, 2005 07:53 PM

123Go
I truly enjoyed Phuket for the two nights we were there. It is not busy, but you might not know that from the traffic on the drive to and from the airport to Kata Noi beach.

There is a lot of construction and renovation going on, as well as new roads being built. Phuket is trying very hard to return, even better than before. I would not hesitate to go there again tomorrow, and to stay for a week!! I think the beaches are cleaner than they were before the tsunami. I've been there three other times, and noted more renovation and building this time than ever before. The number of condos being built with beach views is a sign that things are looking up. JamesA, what say you???

I liked the new upscale mall they built right in the center of the island. That in itself says that Phuket is improving its appeal to the tourists.

We stayed on Kata Noi beach. I would recommend this beach, or Kata beach next door to it. I would not stay on Patong, you could not pay me enough to do that!!!!! The touts there just about drove me crazy in our short visit there. There are plenty of other places to do your souvenir shopping without having to put up with Patong!!

You can still get a fabulous meal on Phuket for a reasonable price. We ate at the best place on the island (the Boathouse Grill) for about 1000 baht per person, not counting the wine we bought. There was no one else there! Now, during peak season, you must book a table ahead.

We also ate at Mom Tri's Kitchen (it is owned by the same person who owns the Boathouse Grill) and it was about the same price. Now, we were glad we booked a table ahead because this place WAS busy.

I would not hesitate to go to Phuket right now. What else can I tell you about it?
Carol

PS Thanks Bob. My food is now fully digested!!!

rhkkmk Sep 30th, 2005 08:34 PM

aside from you....i have gloria when she is holding court in the oriental lobby, bill in the penn pool, kathie in the towers, guen moving from hotel to hotel--and that's a hard one bec. we never know where she will turn up next and if she will have the possee with her; orgy at nana; gpanda at the cigar booth; james at jotiem bch---the nude part.....and i have a few roaming cameras around town for others like lyndie who pop in and out of town....

JamesA Sep 30th, 2005 10:10 PM

Construction on Phuket has continued and a lot of what people see thinking it had something to do with the Tsunami is just normal, the road from the main area for shopping malls in the center towards Patong was a mess 2 months ago and has been for a long time as they change it into a 2 lane highway, but that is just normal construction going on all the time.
I was done there I guess 2 months back but I tend to zoom in, do whatever business and head out, having lived there for years in the past when although development was not a touch on these days.

For bars and loud nightlife Patong seems to give what so many tourists want.

123Go Oct 1st, 2005 04:40 AM

Thanks Carol and JamesA for your post. I will spend a week on Phuket in November in Nai Harn. Interested in Boathouse and Mom Tris will probably need to book a table (?) So glad to hear the island is rebounding.

I will be sure to watch for roving webcams.

simpsonc510 Oct 2nd, 2005 04:00 AM

123GO

I would say that booking your table at the Boathouse Grill and Mom Tri's Kitchen is probably a good idea. The peak season beings in November, or at least that's when the rates begin to climb upwards. I think you will be very pleased with the meals at these two favorite Phuket restaurants.

Carol

123Go Oct 2nd, 2005 06:16 AM

Thanks Carol, I'll be sure to book.

deebee1 Oct 2nd, 2005 07:41 AM

Simpsonc510 what is the name of the new mall in the center of Phuket?