Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

What is Shinagawa area of Tokyo like? Also, best train route to Odawara from Shinagawa?

What is Shinagawa area of Tokyo like? Also, best train route to Odawara from Shinagawa?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Leslie

We got a good deal (family of 4-need two rooms) for a one night stay at the Le Meridien Pacific hotel and I'd now like to know if this is a good plan for our needs.

This is our arrival night in Tokyo and we arrive at Narita at 4:30pm and will leave the next morning for Fuji/Hakone. So we're mostly interested in a good night's rest and safety/comfort as we will stay in the more traditional Ryokan Shigetsu Asakusa at the end of our trip.

This hotel seems to be fine and convenient to the train station right across the street, but what's the neighborhood like? With children, we want to avoid any areas with raunchy nightlife, etc.

Also, we won't activate our JR Railpass at that time, so I need to plan the most efficient and cost effective route to get to Odawara to pick up our Hakone Free Pass. It looks like we can take the JR Tokaido Line directly from Shingawa Station to Odawara...but I see many suggestions to go to Shinjuku Station and take the Odakyu Romance Car...any opinions on which would be best?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Florence

Bonjour Leslie,

Shinagawa, except for the trafic, is a quiet and safe area, I can think of nothing that could trouble the innocent eyes of children there ;-). If you've not arranged a direct shuttle to your hotel, it is easily reached on the Yamanote loop line from either Tokyo, or Ueno if you come from Narita on the Keisei Skyliner, which I recommend. Keisei Ueno station is rather small and you won't have to go through the main JR Ueno station building at rush hour to change to the Yamanote (on getting out of the station, take the escalator on your left, keep walking to the train bridge and take the Yamanote from the first stairway on your left under the bridge. Tickets machines are upstairs on your left, there is a plan in English with the prices. Don't rush, there is a train every 3 minutes or so. Make sure you board the Yamanote line (green train). Go to the end of the quay and you might even find a seat ...

Tokyo station with 2 kids, jetlag, and at rush hour is not the most pleasant introduction to Tokyo I can think of

To Odawara, I personnaly prefer the Odakyu train from Shinjuku, but both options are convenient.

Have a great time.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Leslie

Thank you Florence.

For our arrival from Narita, I thought we could take the JR/Limited Express-Narita Express directly to Shinagawa. The rail planning website I'm using indicates this is a direct connect with only 2 stops and takes 74 minutes, 2910 Yen per person. The hotel also says we could take the Airport Limosine Bus directly to the hotel. Either way we avoid Tokyo station and I do hope to avoid changing trains with two kids and luggage in tow. Is this possible as far as you know?

Since we'll stay in Asakusa on our return to Tokyo and go back to Narita from there, I was planning to use the Keisei Skyliner from Ueno Station to Narita, as you have earlier recommended. Make sense?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:31 PM
don buri

Leslie,
I'm looking at the JR Narita Express schedule on the JNTO website, and it indicates that the last train for the day which stops at Shinagawa is the #30, which leaves NRT at 1643. Don't think you'll make it if you're arriving at 1630. Rather than transferring at Tokyo to the Yamanote at rush hour with all your luggage, I think you'll be better off taking the limousine bus.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Florence

Leslie,

Don Buri is right, although you can fear the limousine bus might be stuck in traffic at these hours and the trip take more than 2 hours (but I might be wrong).

For the return trip to Narita, you also have the option of the Keisei train directly from Asakusa. However, depending on the hour, it can be quite crowded, which is never the case with the Skyliner from Ueno (you can take your luggage in advance there, there are large lockers just right from the wickets).

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Leslie

Thank you both for this info. I didn't think to look into the times these trains run. This is most helpful to our planning.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:59 AM
w

Leslie

This website will plan all travel for you. However, from Shinagawa I'd go to Tokyo Station and take the Shinkansen to Odawara.

http://www.japanhomesearch.com/travelexpert/te_main.asp

Le Pacific Meridien is a fine hotel and in a reasonably quiet, nice area. You'll be happy there with your family and this is not a red-light district.

Getting from Narita to the hotel is easiest by limousine bus (llok for the Orange sign). However, you can use your Japan Rail Pass on the Narita Express and go directly to Shinagawa. The hotel is just across the street.

Enjoy

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Leslie

I had already been using the Travel Expert link that 'w' suggests and thought it very user-friendly. However, until I read don buri's response, hadn't noticed that site doesn't give actual train schedules.

SO, it was a revelation to learn that the scheduled stop of the N'EX at Shinagawa station is limited such that a train we might catch at the time of our arrival at Narita, in fact, wouldn't stop there.

I confirmed what he reported, through the JNTO website link. I also inadvertently discovered that the N'EX train splits up at Tokyo station, with the first 3 cars going in the Ikebukuro direction and only the last 3 cars going toward Shinagawa anyway. Eeek! We might have gotten on the wrong cars!

Maybe the airport bus is our best bet while jet lagged. Alas, I'm determined to master this train system in time for our trip!

Note: not activating our JR Rail Pass on arrival because I think I've figured out how to optimize that for our 10 day trip (going to Kyoto on day 3) without having to buy 14 JR Rail Passes (times four people - ouch!) Can't wait for our trip in April but sure am having a hard time agreeing that the JR train system is as economical or easy as some feel.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:47 PM
w

Leslie

You are correct that the train splits at Tokyo station and goes different directions. Also correct that not all trains go to Shinagawa. The good news is that when you buy your ticket you specify your destination station and you are assigned a car and seats which go to that station (all seats are reserved on NEX unless you get Standing).

The bus is definately easier. You can use the free baggage trolley to take your bags through Customs and right to the bus and, at your destination, the bus unloads right at the hotel front door where the bellman will take your bags. Easy, simple, and reasonable cost. The only reason to use the train would be if you could use your Rail Pass and save the ~Y12,000 that you'll pay for 4 bus tickets.

If your bags are small, rolling bags then you can take the train from Shinagawa to Tokyo and then catch the Shinkansen to Odawara. From Shinagawa look for the Tokkaido line (Orange and Green Train) which will be one stop to Tokyo. Just take care not to get on the Green Car which is a higher fare. At Tokyo Station you'll find English language signs which will take you to the Shinkansen tracks. It is very busy but also easy. If you go early there are many, many restaurants in Tokyo Station and you could have a small meal or coffee.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Leslie

Thank you, 'w' for this information. I'm feeling more confident already!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 09:55 PM
don buri

Leslie,
I'm sure you'll do fine once you get the hang of it, here are a few tips:

1. Try to get a reserved seat if possible; there's no extra charge if you have the railpass.

2. Get seats in the non-smoking car (kin'ensha), the smoking cars are terrible. I'd rather take my chances in a non-reserved, non-smoking car than a reserved seat in a smoking car.

3. Get to the station early. Finding the right platform can be tricky, esp in the larger stations. If you don't have reserved seats, find the place on the platform for the non-smoking car and get in line.

4. Don't dawdle when boarding or getting off or you may be left behind.

5. Avoid using the trains during rush hour whenever possible.

6. Enjoy the ride.