Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Siem Reap: Ponheary's Guest House, Marina Villa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I will be in Siem Reap in February for 3-4 nights.

I have contacted two guides that have been recommended on this forum. Ponheary is available!

I am wondering if anyone has stayed in her guest house, Marina Villa? If so I would appreciate any info you can provide.

If I understand correctly, the cost for a guide, car and driver is about $40 USD total plus the cost of entry to Angkor Wat. Is that right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 09:37 AM

car is about $20 and guide is about $20, but prices may be up slightly since i was there 2 years ago..

i think to get into the temples (pass) is about $20 for day one and $40 for up to 3 days, but i may have that wrong...you need a passport picture or two for your pass and also for your visa....you can get those cheaply in bkk
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Yes, those are the approximate prices. Note that it costs more to go to the more remote temples such as Banteay Srei.

Temples pass, as Bob says, is $20 for one day, $40 for three days, and $60 for seven days.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Although I haven't stayed at Ponheary's villa I have been to have a look at it. We were staying elsewhere and used Ponheary as our guide (very good) - the day before we left we went around with her to look at the villa and take some digital pictures for her to use on the web. Its 2 storey with the better rooms upstairs. They are very clean, nice enough but definitely just basic rooms - nothing flash. The type of bathroom found all over asia in this style of hotel - fairly large with loo, wash basin and an open shower (no curtain). Room had aircon etc - a good choice for that bracket of hotel but not the Ritz. Provided you don't need a pool it would serve well enough. They also don't have a restaurant (or at least didn't) so you have to go down the road for breakfast. There is plenty around.

I love good hotels but in Siem Reap we went with a cheap place because we were out most of the time anyway. So if you think that way it would be find. I think I might still have copies of the photos if you are interested - I try and look them out.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:49 AM

There are photos on the website http://www.travel-cambodia.com/marin...ouse/index.htm

J
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Hi-
My husband and I stayed there a couple of years ago, while they were still building the second floor. We also used Ponheary as a guide and she's wonderful! The hotel was basic, fine for our time there.
If you want to see our trip and some photos of the guesthouse, check out my website:
http://www.wired2theworld.com/cambodia2002.html
Have a great trip!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Eurotraveller, I am sure that you will have a great time at Angkor Wat. We have just spent five days there and had Ponheary as a guide for three days. She is an excellent guide and also a very nice person and she added greatly to our understanding and enjoyment of Angkor Wat.

The current charge is $45 a day for guide and air conditioned car or minibus.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 07:16 PM

i may be wrong but i believe she charges slightly more than some of the other guides??? is this correct?? thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

Originally Ponheary said she was available. Next thing we knew she sent an email saying she made a mistake and was already booked! Due to that we will not be staying in her guest house.

We have decided on Saron Soeun. He has been very responsive and I think he is recommended on this forum.

Now I just need to decide on a guest house!

Cheers!