Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Siem Reap Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/siem-reap-hotels-329123/)

degas Mar 24th, 2008 09:46 AM

Siem Reap Hotels

I may be traveling alone on this trip so can be a little more frugal (cheap) in my hotel selection. Like many of you, I'd prefer a place that was: clean, safe, had some charm and character, a friendly staff, location that was centrally located (not to far from the old town/river area, but had easy access to the temples), and relatively quiet, but not a morgue. A garden and resturant would be a plus, but not required.

Not looking to board with young backpackers, and want to avoid the tourist bus crowd. Looking to spend between 30-80 dollars a night, if possible.

Here are a few places I've run across:

Earthwalkers
Calaremont Angkok
The Red Piano
Mandalay Inn
Molly Malones
Ta Prohem
FCC
Hotel de la Paix
Somadevi Angkor
La Villa Loti
Pavillon Indochina

Appreciate your feedback.

Tim_and_Liz Mar 24th, 2008 09:49 AM

Have you looked into HanumanAlaya?

LynnieD Mar 24th, 2008 09:53 AM

I recently stayed at the Somadevi Angkor and it met all of your requirements with the possible exception of charm. New hotel well located, good restaurant, directly across from a frequently named restaurant here (the name escapes me) great pool, quiet.

degas Mar 24th, 2008 10:02 AM

T&L - thanks for the point out - HanumanAlaya website makes it look like what I want. Having a spa on site is a plus.

LynnieD, thanks. Don't plan to spend too much time in the room, so charm is not a deal breaker.

degas Mar 24th, 2008 10:21 AM

Do any of these places remind you of Baan Orapin in CM?

filmwill Mar 24th, 2008 10:35 AM

Take a look at Bopha Angkor. We stayed there 2 years ago and it was cheap + fantastic (and not in that particular order) :)

For trendy and somewhat affordable, FCC is probably the way to go (although it's slightly above the range you quoted). Hotel de la Paix is way outside your range.

barnetda Mar 24th, 2008 11:28 AM

Hotel de la paix is superb but you will need to add at least $120 to your budget i think.

Great hotel though and wonderful pool area.

hawaiiantraveler Mar 24th, 2008 11:50 AM

Do you have a guide already? If you have Ponheary try and have her get you some pricing on hotels. Her prices were a lot better than we could do on our own but that was 2 yrs ago

Aloha!

offwego Mar 24th, 2008 03:41 PM

Agree with HT that if you are using a guide, often that guide can get great deals on hotels. Ponheary and Dara, for instance, can get 50-70% off some hotels (the Angkor Holiday comes to mind, listed prices are $150 in high season-she gets rooms for $60 I think) What you save on the hotel can pay for the guide and a bunch of Angkor Beer....

Going back to your original list, the Villa Loti is a bit far from the center, though everywhere is a $2 tuk-tuk ride away...the Mandalay Inn is very nice for the price, lots of stairs though if that matters.

If you end up in SR mid April, you'll be there for Khmer New Year. Many festivities.

LynnieD Mar 24th, 2008 04:22 PM

I looked up my notes and the restaurant directly across from Somadevi Angkor is Cafe Indochine.

MichaelBKK Mar 24th, 2008 04:31 PM

I'll second the Bopha Angkor reccy - I stayed there a year ago January, and the value for money was great. Splurge for one of the deluxe rooms by the pool (was something like $40).

degas Mar 25th, 2008 08:06 AM

Thanks for the additional info.

I plan to obtain a guide for two days when my travel dates firm up.

Thanks for the tip about Ponheary and Dara getting reduced hotel rates.

borgo Mar 28th, 2008 02:51 AM

I just arrived from Siem Reap. I really loved Hotel de la Paix.