Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) Trip Report

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) Trip Report

We had a wonderful time in Siem Reap. With our guide Kim San http://www.angkor-guides.com we followed an itinerary that suited us very well and went at our pace.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/cambodia.html

On arrival we checked into the Tara Angkor Hotel, which is very nice and has a very good restaurant. We had Cambodian massages (a bit different!), and then visited Artisans Angkor to see craftsmen at work, and of course shop for high quality art! After that it was a balloon ride over the Angkor complex, truly a great way to get an OVER view!

Next day we visited Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom with an elephant ride, and Ta Prohm with the great trees growing over the ruins. This is an awe inspiring world class experience. That night we took in the Apsara dance, a thing of great beauty.

Tonle Sap lake is also a very interesting experience, although if your time in the area is limited this is one you could skip.

We also were able to visit a silk factory and see the entire process, from the mulberry trees and mating the moths to putting the finished silk on the loom.

This was a great trip and well worth including in an Asian itinerary.
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:50 AM
Ubd

You had wonderful report and pictures.
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM

Glad you enjoyed Siem Reap but sorry to hear that you had health problems. As you say, its a great holiday destination. Enjoyed your photos too - they made me realise that 6 weeks is a long time to wait before I hit the road again. (Yunnan province in China and Cambodia again)
Old May 26th, 2011, 03:20 AM

It is a nice report but I had a bad experience with Mr. Kim San during my trip to Angkor. I had place a 1-day a booking with him for 1-day Angkor Wat tour on 20 Dec back in April 2010. We keep in touch via email in July, Nov and Dec (after I arrived in Cambodia) and he confirmed with me that he will be seeing me on 20th Dec 5am via last sms on 19 Dec night.

We look forward to have the MAN to show us the Cambodian heritage but to our horror he sent another person as our guide and claimed the his son fell ill in the evening. This is said by the replacement guide. I did not receive any courtesy call from him at all whether we accept the replacement guide or want to reshedule to other day.

Finally around 2pm on 20 Dec he sent an sms to me stating the same reason on why he cannot make it. Then I replied an sms to him and asked whether am I still paying the same rate to the replacement guide and guess what he did not even bother to reply to me until today 22nd Dec.

At the end of the tour, I asked the replacement guide how much must I pay and he quoted that Kim Sam asked him to collect the quoted full rate. I just pay Kim San's rate knowing exactly it costs only half the amount for the replacement guide. For your information, his guide rate is double of any guide in Siem Reap. What a rip-off?

There is more to it, Kim San suggested a itinerary that fits into 1 day ended with a Balloon ride at sunset (at per my req) at the expense of some other temples. I only find out from the replacement guide that the Balloon is no longer in service since June and yet Kim San via email in July and Nov did not highlight to me so that the itinerary can be changed to cover more temples. We actually finished covering our last destination at 4pm after including one extra temple courtesy of replacement guide if not we will finish our tour by 3.30pm. In the end, I just told the replacement guide to drop us at pub street (4.45pm). Another rip-off from Kim San? By the way we are quoted extra $$$ which I agreed in April because we do a sunrise to sunset tour (5am to 6pm).
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:04 AM

Just to put this bizarre rant in context, here are the Devil's prices from hia website;

One-Day Tour. Total Price: 1 Person is US$75 / 2 - 3 People is US$40/person / 4 - 6 People is US$25/person.

I'd imagine the good Mr Kim San took one look at the thirteen hour touring day, the client from hell, the six-month flurry of E-mails obsessing about a one day tour that could have been arranged in thirty seconds and developed a sudden emergency.

Smart man.
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:52 AM

I had contacted several tour guides and I decided to use his services as he confirmed with me.
if he doesn't want to have 13 hours tour with us, he should say unavailable rather than sending unrated tour guide to us. While we are visiting Angkor and want an expert showing us around those area so we had checked lots before the trip but he ruins our trip. A double booking with selection the luxury tour is not a professional tour guide.
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM

I agree it sounds like a lot more than normal may have been going on/expected, but will say those prices are pretty high for Siem Reap touring. In October, most guides with AC car and driver were $60/day total.

BTW frasses, if your guide had the yellow shirt and ID pass, he was not uncertified. Not saying that means he was any good, but all guides have to be certified.

Flexibility: a trait that makes traveling so less stressful.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Ubd

Dear Ladies and gentlemen
I had one week in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. I enjoyed my trip very much.
I stayed at Tara Angkor Hotel in SR and frangipani Villa in PP .
Thanks for good recommendation !!!
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 02:18 AM

Great trip report with a GREAT guide good reviews on the boards

Except for the ranting/spamming of one of the board trollz.com

Good experience also with www.theangkorguide.net good prices...
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Ubd

Does anyone know Kiri Boutique Hotel (www.kiriboutiquehotel.com)? It is based in Siem Reap.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:17 PM

I am going to SR again in June.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 06:59 PM

Where is the silk factory? Can you purchase it in bulk?