Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Siem Reap accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/siem-reap-accomodations-1167573/)

travel12345 Dec 13th, 2016 02:01 PM

Siem Reap accomodations

I've booked Chiang Mai. Whew! Now, Please help me find accomodations in Siem Reap. I would like to pay no more than around 50 USD, including taxes and fees. I'm finding Lots of cheap places, but they seem a bit sketchy.
Some nice looking places with rates around 65-75 USD, but these are for accomodations that are lacking in this or that, or noisy and uncomfortable, and don't seem to be worth the charges. The more favorable hotels are running closer to 80-90USD and over, around 100+ USD. Big decision again.
This stop will be in the middle of my trip, so I expect to be tired and in need of some TLC.
My priorities are to be around kind, helpful and gentle people, knowing you are valued is a huge comfort when traveling alone! I enjoy quality tasty food, (actually it's very important to me) and most of all a location that I can freely go out and return for rest periods.
Thank you sincerely.

*5 nights in June, independent

CaliforniaLady Dec 13th, 2016 04:00 PM

I stayed at a nice place called Two Dragons. My son had gone the previous year and stayed there, so I decided to try it. They have decent, clean rooms with air conditioning and private bathrooms. I also ate all my meals at their restaurant because I knew they were careful about refrigeration.

The former owner was from San Francisco originally, but shortly before I stayed, he sold to a nice Brit named Russell. Russell and his assistant arranged a guide and tuk tuk driver for me for my whole stay. They did a great job.

I often get bogged down in my trip planning, so it was nice to have a place that could "take care of me" for a change. The only disadvantage is that the vast majority of the guests were in their 20's and 30's, and I felt a little out of place. During dinner, some of them ignored me, but others were quite friendly. Oh, and Russell let me keep my room the last day for free, since I had an evening flight to Bangkok.

Kathie Dec 13th, 2016 04:36 PM

Seven Candles Guesthouse will be well within your budget. It is clean, has AC, and is run by the Ly family. You might take a look at www.theplf.com for info on the charity associated with the guesthouse.

travel12345 Dec 15th, 2016 01:55 PM

Californialady, the place you describe sounds exactly like what I'm seeking, and as well, the seven candles, thanks Kathie. Would Love to be somewhere that I can relax and leave the planning (trustworthy planning) to the locals!
I am concerned they might be just a bit too basic in amenities for comfort and location. So I suppose I am conflicted here.
I've been searching nonstop for the past two weeks and have become tired of going round in circles, so I'm now looking at a few mid-level budget, but popular, well-rated places near the night market...
Any more suggestions you guys can provide will be so appreciated.

Kathie Dec 15th, 2016 03:19 PM

There are so many options in Siem Reap, I can understand why you are confused. Get on Booking.com and look at hotels in your price range for your dates. Then come back and ask about those places. You want to keep the price low, but you want amenities.

Any hotel or guesthouse in Siem Reap can arrange transport (and a guide if you'd like) to the temples.

Siem Reap is small, unless a place is way our on the highway to the temples, anywhere in town will be fine in terms of location.

CaliforniaLady Dec 15th, 2016 04:49 PM

Travel12345, I am an extreme princess, lol, so I can assure you that Two Dragons is a gem. My son found it, and he is a seasoned traveller and quite discrimainating, so I trusted him. Lin, the manager, and Russell arranged all my logistics in advance. They had a driver pick me up at the Siem Reap airport, and take me directly to Battambang. Two days later, the same driver took me from Battambang to Two Dragons. Lin also arranged an Angkor guide and driver, and they worked out well. Russell is always in the lobby in the evening, and he walks around and tries to help people with questions. He even insisted on having a complementary glass of wine with me.

I know it seems too cheap, and I have seen my share of places in that price range with mold in the bathroom and exposed wires, but this place is not like that at all. The furniture is "Asian Ikea" and the rooms are extremely clean.

I will bet my princess crown that you will be happy there, and that you won't get sick if you eat all your meals in their nice restaurant. I actually sent Russell a thank you note when I got home.

lcuy Dec 15th, 2016 07:34 PM

TWO Dragons is on a side street off of Wat Bo road. It's around the block around the block from Seven Candles, where I normally stay. I used to alternate my breakfast between Two Dragons, Hawaii Pizza and 7 Candles, so I've been in there a lot, and took a look at the guest rooms about a year two ago. I agree Lin is really friendly, and thought the rooms were clean, they are pretty basic and seemed a bit worn.

In addition, the last two times I was there, though, I found the food has really gone downhill, as has the cleanliness of the dining area. Others I know also said they no longer eat there. Just my two cents.

If you want something with a pool, restaurant and cocktail bar, try Frangipani Villa. It's about a block down from both the two guesthouses and is about $75 a night. Any of these places are a pleasant 5 to 10 minute walk or a 3 minute/2$ tuk tuk ride from the old market and Pub Street

CaliforniaLady Dec 15th, 2016 08:16 PM

Oh, goodness, Icuy. Thank you for the update. I stand corrected. I was there in 2012, and at the time, Russell had just bought the hotel from Gordon, an American from San Francisco. Gordon married a Cambodian lady, but they wanted to get back to the US for the children's schooling. The couple ran the hotel together. I looked on the website, and Russell still owns the hotel. I imagine he has not taken care of it as well as Gordon did. What a shame.

julies Dec 16th, 2016 05:11 AM

Here is the review I wrote on TA of a place I'd highly recommend--Sonalong Boutique Village and Resort. We were there last winter and spent 10 nights in Siem Reap so w had lots of time to walk around and explore different ares. And, when we decided to leave our original hotel we actually walked around an visited 4 or 5 hotels to check them out in person. As I recall, I think we paid bout $60 pr night.

"Other than a few quibbles (towels were rather thin and some of the room décor was a bit tacky) this place is a treasure.

We moved here after spending time in another nearby Siem Reap hotel. The breakfast at that place was probably better, but in every other way the Sonalong's facilities won out.

The approach is down a fairly quiet, dusty street, and the location is very convenient for people who don't mind walking a few blocks to get to the critical mass of the tourist activities and restaurants. The resort is a quiet, leafy, green retreat from the heat and busy city. The grounds are nicely landscaped with a large pool area for relaxation in the middle. This is a lovely place to retreat to after a hot and dusty day of temple visiting.

We had a second floor room with a large balcony that gave us all of the privacy and quiet we could want.

Definitely recommended."

crellston Dec 16th, 2016 06:52 AM

The last two places we stayed at in SR were the Seven Candles Guesthouse. Well within your price range and certainly meets your requirements for friendly helpful staff, but leans toward the basic. It is a fair way from the entre of town but with some nice restaurants close by. They produce a very helpful guide on places to eat at all levels.

The other was THe Hollywood Angkor Boutique Hotel. At around $50 pn it offers exceptional value. Very comfortable rooms, a short walk from Pub Street but very quiet and the small pool is a welcome bonus. Both places offer free transport to/from the airport or bus station. Quite luxurious rooms but when we were there the staff, whilst quite sweet, shy and were still learning English - comms were a little problematic at times.

I would be happy to stay in both again.

billirandall Dec 18th, 2016 07:37 PM

One of my friend went to Siem reap..and he told me about"The Tanei",it is his favourite..cheapest and comfortable for accomodation..the rooms were nice and also service is good..you can try here..

travel12345 Dec 23rd, 2016 08:36 AM

Thanks everyone for hotel the suggestions! With five nights, I've decided to make a split decision, so here's hoping I can satisfy both parts of me: the budget-minded-would-have-been-backpacker if it were forty years ago...and the princess ;) Californialady.

So, here's my plan. I've booked three nights at a basic bed and breakfast northwest of town (off the national highway) very, very cheap.
And then, two nights inside town right across the river from the pub street and market streets, quite expensive to me, but with nice amenities and some luxury freebies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday- sleep cheap
Day zero, night one -arrive around 19:00 and check into B & B *they will send a tuk tuk* unpack and go straight to bed, reason number one I chose to sleep cheap :)

Thursday -sleep cheap
sleep in, wash clothes, purchase three day passat Angkor Wat ticket booth at 5pm, watch sunset over temple, sleep 2nd night at B and B

Friday - sleep cheap, 3rd night at B and B
Temple touring
sunrise at temple, but otherwise not yet planned

Saturday - move to more expensive hotel, night one, take free massage and dinner
Temple touring

Sunday - night two in 2nd hotel
Temple touring

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monday - depart for city/country/regions unknown
Merry Christmas everyone!