Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   SI EM REAP HOTELS (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/si-em-reap-hotels-640814/)

mcbeanie Aug 21st, 2006 12:25 PM

SI EM REAP HOTELS

One more -- but probably not the last -- cry for help! Has anyone had any experience with PinkRose Holidays?

We are looking at their tours to Angkok Wat from Bangkok and are considering staying at the Raffles Hotel. But after reading some of the comments here -- A/C out, etc. I need your advice. The other hotels to choose from are the Sofitel Royal Angkor, the Le Meridien Angkor and the La Residence d'Angkor.

Please let me know your thoughts on any -- or all -- of these. You have really helped with the advice on my other posts. Thanks!

mcb

Kathie Aug 21st, 2006 12:32 PM

My first recommendation is not to book a tour. There is no reason to. You can easily arrange your lodging (and you'll have many more options) and you can arrange a driver (and a guide if you wish) very easily.

If it were me, I'd opt for a small place, like the FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club) or the place Craig recommends Place de la Paix (something like that). The Sofitel, while very nice is quite large and caters to huge tour groups. Ther were some recent complaints on this board about the Meridien. La Residence (used to be the Pansea) should be nice, but I'd look for recent reviews.

waynehazle Aug 21st, 2006 12:44 PM

Agreed that there is NO NEED to go with some big tour group to Siem Reap. Just book one of the guides talked about on this board. Book a Hotel, the Sofitel was AWESOME but more than necessary.

rhkkmk Aug 21st, 2006 08:21 PM

no need for a tour....i still like the sofitel....raffles is way over priced but it is quite nice...

you will need a driver and we preferred also to have a guide to save time as the places are so big...

offwego Aug 22nd, 2006 12:17 AM

We enjoyed the Day Inn Angkor. Not too expensive, clean and new. Good pool, good restaurant good location and most importantly, oneof the few hotels owned by a Cambodian.

You don't need a tour. Get a driver/guide and do your best to experience the local people.

alibi13 Aug 22nd, 2006 01:49 AM

My wife and I loved the FCC. It was really swanky and modern, but very low-key too. And the food was good. We could hang out in their lovely restaurant for hours. Great smoothies!

hobbes Aug 23rd, 2006 05:39 AM

I've stayed at the Shinta Mani and Pansea on 2 diff trips - liked them both but on the balance preferred the Shinta Mani, love the boutique feel and the spa cuisine.

mcbeanie Aug 23rd, 2006 07:36 AM

Thanks to all of you! We have decided against an organized tour and will contact Ponhery in the next few days to see if she is available. BTW, the contributions some of you memtion to the plf seem large. Are smaller gifts such as pencils and spiral notebooks needed also? We are taking some to the orphanage in Kanchanaburi, but could split it so that part of it goes to Cambodia.

Thanks again!

Gpanda Aug 24th, 2006 11:49 AM

MCB-we brought some school supplies to Ponheary before the PLF was set up. She was very appreciative. The poverty is so crushing, any gift is helpful.