Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Should we take anything to Thailand for the locals?

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving this week for a two-week trip to Thailand and wondering if anyone has any thoughts about taking "stuff" for the locals as little gifts from the U.S. -- I'm thinking of little things like candy or any items that would be appreciated as tokens of appreciation for good service, gifts for the children, etc?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM

We took choclate from the US for the kids, we mostly gave it to the kids when we were down in koh chang. The choclate there isn't the same as we have here so it was a treat for them. The Thai people can get almost everything that we have here in the US, I'm sure someone might chime in and tell you what they don't have. Last year when we went to africa, we brought 4 suitcases full of everything for the kids there and that was a blessing to give out! You might want to get in contact with a school in bkk and ask what supplies they could use?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:57 PM

You are not expected to bring along anything for the locals, but the boxes of chocolates are always enjoyed by my female friends in Bangkok. I see these friends each time I visit the city. Friends who are married couples enjoy a nice bottle of wine.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM

I always bring postcards of my home and leave them with any locals that I have spent extended time with, i.e., guesthouse owners or people that I have met and visited their home. I have done this in many places in the world and it is always well received.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 07:33 PM

The kids in Thailand love baloons, particularly the ones that you can twist and make into animal shapes. Practice before you go, then you can do a demo eg. make a little dog or a swan or such (very easy). I did just this sitting on the beach last week at Phi Phi with the kids from the gypsy village. They loved it!!!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bubble mixture works well, as does showing kids their pictures on a digital camera. BUT, please don't take candy - they may not have access to good dental care.