Should we go to Georgia the country?

Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Should we go to Georgia the country?

7 of us senior ladies are thinking of going on a tour to Tbilisi, Georgia. Iím not convinced. Has anyone here been? We were going to Nice and Arles for 8 days but now some are pushing for Georgia instead. I think itís too far for 8-9 days but I could be talked into it. Maybe.

oh. I should have posted on Asia forum.
help!

Last edited by Micheline; Aug 27th, 2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Want to change forums
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 06:29 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Asia board.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 10:12 AM

I loved Goergia. Great budget country, great scenery. However, eight days is a bit short. I also love Nice and could easily spend eight days there (no need for Arles as well). There aren't a lot of reports on Georgia here. My time in Tbilisi starts here with links at the top of the page, you can skip Batumi with such a short trip: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...st-in-tbilisi/
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Thursday’s. I’m concerned about the long flight(s) and transfers from Canada-Georgia for such a short time. I also love Nice but we want to see Carriere des Lumieres at Les Baux so were thinking of staying a few days in Arles.
Daughter conducts Silk Road Tours.

Old Aug 28th, 2019, 06:17 AM

I agree with you. But if you lose the argument, Georgia is a great destination.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 08:45 AM

Georgia is great and totally underrated/undertouristed -- Tbilisi is a fun city, great food and wine, beautiful scenery all around the country, interesting history, warm hospitable people etc.

I completely disagree that it's "too far" for 8-9 days from North America, or that 8-9 days is too short a time to get a good sense of Georgia. But to each his own...
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:55 PM

I don't care for Nice that much outside of Cours Selaya. Maybe it's because I've been three three times? If you go, get out of Nice to Villefranche-sut-mer, Menton, Grasse, Eze, so many gorgeous places to choose from.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 05:28 PM

Whereas I mostly give Cours Saleya a miss. There are several worthwhile museums in Nice, plus the castle hill and cemetaries. It is, as suggested, an excellent base for other places nearby, by public transport.

See this for some suggestions, and add the walk round Cap Ferat. Nice to Paris: on not taking it easy in Eastern France
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 05:53 PM

We are thinking of Georgia (and Armenia) this year from Australia but are unsure of the best time to go. October (we are leaning toward) seems good for mild weather and sunshine. But May could be nice for green hills and wildflowers. Advice?
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 08:02 PM

We visited Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan and thought it was a good time. The weather was mostly cool to warm except in the mountains, where it was chilly. Hereís my report if youíre interested: Two Weeks in the South Caucasus: From Armenia to Azerbaijan by Way of Georgia
Old Feb 6th, 2020, 08:12 PM

I encountered snow at Vardzia in late September, and that's not in the high mountains.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:34 PM

I took a look at flights from Toronto to Tblisi and to Nice for June 16, one-way fares.

The best fare $CA 853 and time 15h 5m was on Ukraine International, connecting in Kiev to Tblisi. The next higher fares on other airlines had durations of 20+ hours. The next shortest duration 15h 45m had two stops and cost almost twice as much as the lowest fare.

For Nice, the best fare $CA 443 was on TAP via Lisbon and a 12h 5m trip. The best travel time was 9h 35m on AC/LX via Zurich.

There are a lot more one-stop itineraries to Nice than to Tblisi.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Feb 13th, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 12:54 AM

Georgia is a beautiful country - you can spend the time on the beach in Batumi or go to Gudauri for winter skiing, taste some wine in Kakheti, or visit ancient cave cities Vardzia and Uplistsikhe. There`s a lot of what to do for people of different tastes.But one thing for sure is you will never get bored there.