Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Should I travel to Asia in 2009 considering how poor the U.S. Economy is?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys
I haven't posted in this forum in almost a year, but I do have a question for some of you. I have been traveling to Asia practically every year since 2000. However, I had to cancel those plans in 2008 mainly because I had to buy a new car. So I decided to get the car and start saving for 2009. It's now 2009 and I really want to travel to Asia again mainly to visit HK, Singapore and Malaysia. I brought up the idea to my parents and my mother highly discourages me from traveling this year. She says I should hold off another year to focus on saving money. She says the economy sucks, people are losing jobs and the U.S. dollar is very weak. She says it would be financially irresponsible to spend a few thousand dollars on a trip this year. Sometimes I think my mother worries that if I take a long trip I would lose my job when I return, which I think is ludicrous. I have 8 weeks paid vacation to use. So, I feel if I can save the money, I should be entitled to use it without worrying about my job security. What do you all think of this dilemma?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 11:57 AM

If I had 8 weeks of paid vacation to use, I'd be on the plane. I used to take 11- week overseas vacations, for more than a decade, but it was never on a paid status. I didn't get a cent of salary while on vacation.

So, whether or not you should take this vacation or not totally depends on your financial situation. Yes, one must be a lot more frugal these days, but frugal, to me, doesn't mean having to stop living and enjoying. I just got back from Buenos Aires and will be headed to Venice and Paris in early spring. The Venice/Paris trip will be on frequent flyer miles and I'll stay with two different friends in each place. So, there are ways around the financial crisis.

You don't have to take the whole 8 weeks at a time, do you? Why not just take 4 of them for one trip and save the other 4 for another time? Then you won't be away, from work, that long and you won't have to save up so much money as you'll have fewer days to pay for accommodations. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM

You only live once, as far as we know. Do it.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM

How old are you Don?

Is it an option to trade your mother in and get another one? That would certainly simplify your situation. Or maybe it's time to leave home.

Haven't our governments been telling us to spend our way out of recession? Tell your mother she's making things WORSE by her attitude. That'll confuse her enough so you can slip out the door and head for the airport.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Recent events have again confirmed for me that life is indeed short. If your financial situation is good, then go for it.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:24 PM

<i>if I can save the money, I should be entitled to use it without worrying about my job security</i>

Well, your ability to save money has nothing to do with your job security. If you saved the money then you are entitled to use it, period.

It is up to you to determine if taking the trip would would affect your job security. In normal times it wouldn't and even now it shouldn't (some employers might encourage vacations if the paid vacation money comes from a different pot that the labor money).

As far as waiting a year goes, there is no reason to believe the economy will be any better a year from now.

This year, a lot of people won't be traveling because of the economy. This is good for you because it offers bargains and reduced crowds and reduced competition for tickets.

If your job is secure (and nobody's is completely secure) then the only thing about the economic situation that affects your decision is the weakness of the dollar.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

My Mother is from the Old School frugal Asian culture and believes that a fat bank account is more important than anything else. I'm single, in my 30's and I visit and interact with my parents alot.

My financial situation is decent right now. It was really bad at one point. When I was forced to buy the new car last year, the down payment nearly wiped me out. However, I have saved like crazy and I am 60% close to reaching a goal I set for myself financially this year.

Yes, I have 8 weeks paid vacation saved, but I don't have to use all of it. I usually only use 2-2 1/2 weeks a year.

Personally for me, I respect her opinion, but it has been agonizing for the past year not being able to travel internationally.

I've had a relatively stable job for over 10 years now in the TV business and my parents worry every day that I could be laid off and I think that's why they don't want me spending any large amounts of unneccesary money this year and wait and see where this year goes 1st.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

One of the main factors is definitely the weakness of the U.S. dollar. You use to be able to get alot of great deals traveling in Asia, but now it seems like things are getting alot more expensive.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Some parts of Asia are still real bargains. Thailand is a good example. Hong Kong and Singapore, for instance, are much more expensive than they used to be. Malaysia is still a good deal.

Also, because of the world-wide economic problems, I'm expecting that there will be more bargains available in travel. So I'm watching for &quot;deals&quot; - airfares, hotels.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input Kathie. I'm actually Thai and have traveled there from 2000-2002. Back then the dollar was a little stronger and it was a decent and affordable travel destination.

The 3 places I want to visit this time around are Hong Kong for a few days, Singapore and Malaysia.

I guess it's mainly about me using some common sense and seeing where I am financially and how my job is going as the months progress.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM

The US dollar has <b>gained</b> against most Asian currencies in the last half year, with the exception of the Japanese Yen. It has even stopped the slide against the Chinese Yuan.