Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How do we travel from Tokyo to Hakone to Kyoto, etc. with luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been doing a bit of reading on this site and others and I am confused as to how we are going to manage with our luggage. We are experienced travelers and usually rent a car in Europe, etc. We are planning on independent travel in Japan. I read that luggage can be sent on from one hotel to another, is that so? If we wanted travel from Tokyo to Hakone, spend 2 nights and then onto Kyoto...with luggage, how would we do this as easy as possible. We are 4 60+year olds and we travel together yearly.
I really appreciate any info you guys can help us with.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 02:32 PM

There is baggage delivery service from virtually any address within Japan to another. We use this service all the time when we come back from the states...it's reliable and fairly affordable...about $15.00 - $25.00 per bag, depending on size and destination. Better hotels have the service available through the concierge, and send and receive bags all the time. It does usually take overnight, though from Tokyo to Hakone is so close that it might be possible to send it in the AM and get it there them same evening. Your hotel will be able to arrange this service for you...it's generally referred to as takkyubin service.

Travel by train is efficient and fast, but does lack in luggage storage, and stations usually have many stairs, sometimes escalators going up but not down, and more recently elevators for disabled customers - but you need to call an attendent to use these.

I'd recommend sending your big bags from Tokyo to Kyoto, and carrying a small, lightweight bag to Hakone. If the small bag you carry to Hakone has wheels, you will only have to carry it on the stairs. A small bag will also fit in the small compartment overhead on the train, leaving the space on the floor for your feet.

Kim
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your advice. Is this service something that we would arrange before we arrive or when we get to Tokyo?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:29 PM

You can arrange it the day you want to send your things. They will even provide boxes if you need them. We always use the service from Kansai airport to our home in Kanazawa...things arrive the next day. We also ship things home from the hotel so we don't have luggage on the train...also they arrive the next day. Kim
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

I've just read that you can take luggage on a bullet train...is that right?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:22 AM

Yes, the bullet trains that we were on had luggage racks above the seats that could hold an average size bag. We had 22" carryon rollers that fit no problem. If you have big 29" bags, however, you might have a problem.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:04 AM

I don't think it is necessary to send bags ahead. Much depends on where in Hakone you are staying. (I'm assuming you are getting the Hakone Free Pass and planning to do the circuit tour of the area). You would want to drop your bags at your hotel and then continue on the circuit tour.

An alternative we considered which Florence has recommended to us it to store your bags in the lockers at the Odawara Station, just taking an overnight bag to Hakone (again, assuming only a short 1 or 2 nights in Hakone)
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

What we would like to do is spend a few days in Tokyo...onto Hakone for 1 or 2 nights and then Kyoto for 3 nights. We would like to then go onto Hong Kong for a few nights.
Is the Odawara station in Hakone?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:33 PM

No. Odawara is on the coast where you change from Shinkansen/Tokaido Honsen to Hakone Tozan Railways to Hakone-Yumoto and Gora.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alec, I think I like the idea of sending some luggage onto Kyoto. While the bullet train sounds Ok, I don't do well with steps and with luggage it would be impossible for me. That leaves my husband to handle it and I wouldn't want to put to much of a burden on him.

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:22 AM

More on luggage. We would like to courier our heavy luggage from Narita to Kansai and pick it up again 4 days later after we visited Kyoto with minimum luggage. Anybody knows of a courier company (and their web address possibly) that delivers and stores luggage?

Thanks for any help

daniel
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:20 PM

From Narita, just outside arrivals there are counters to send luggage. You can send it to your heavy bags to anywhere in Japan. I assume you mean Kansai airport in this case. At Kansai airport, they will hold your luggage for you until you pick it up. Sometimes there is a small fee. There are many companies that offer the same service for the same price. Just go to the counter that is available. The same is true for sending bags to hotels or private homes. Often, we send our bags home from Kansai airport on the day we arrive, but then spend a couple of days in Osaka before returning home. Our bags are held by the delivery company until we return home, at which time we call them and request delivery. Every company has a website, I'm sure, but all in Japanese. Kuroneko Yamato might be the most famous company if you need a name. There is no need at all to arrange anything in advance.

Kim