Should I cancel my trip to Thailand?

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I cancel my trip to Thailand?

I'm leaving for Thailand on June 19th with my 16 year old son. We land in Bankok on June 20th (5:30pm) and 3 hours later I have a connecting flight to Chiang Mai. I spend the night at the Chedi then head off the next morning to Elephant Nature park for a week as volunteers. Yes, talk about jet lag! When the program ends, on Sunday we head back to the Chedi for 3 nights. We're hoping to hit the Sunday night market, Doi Suthep, cooking class and muay thai training. We were then heading to Bankok on the last leg of our trip for the last four nights. Being the situation as it is, I was wondering if it is safe to pass through the Bankok airport and if planes are running on schedule. On the return, is is safe to stay at an airport hotel? Basically, does it seem safe and logistically possible given the situation. My other question is...if we keep our plans for ENP and Chiang Mai (love to!) and not Bankok for the last 4 nights then where? Ko Sumui, Luang Prabang or Golden Triangle?
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM

No, do not cancel. Yes, it is safe to pass through the BKK airport. Just stay out of the duty free shops And, yes, the planes are running on time, and it is safe to stay at an airport hotel.

Wait and watch the situation unfold further.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM

Do not cancel! Your trip sounds great. Unless things really escalate, flying through BKK airport will not be a problem.

For the last part of your trip, the wuestion is how much a bach person are you? If not a beach worshipper, I would go to Luang Prabang. It is truly charming. A great place to wander and soak up the atmosphere. Much more fun than the Golden Triangle. The cost for LP will be much higher. If price is an issue, the Anatara, outside Chiang Rai has gotten rave reviews on this forum. If you do choose to go to a beach, Ko Samui when you're there.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM

There is no reason to cancel at this point. There has been no disruption at the airport.

You will want to keep up on developments. There have been recent threads by US Fodorites in Bangkok (one from Kuranosuke and one from simpsonc510). There is also an extensive thread by Hanuman (a Thai who lives in Bangkok) describing the situation.

It's a good 6 weeks until your trip. I wouldn't change anything at this point. If there are still disruptions, you can go to Bangkok, choosing where to stay to keep your distance from demonstrations or go to the Golden Triangle or Luang Prabang or, if you want a beach, Koh Samui. If you haven't been to Angkor, you might consider that. But at this point, I'd just wait and watch (do a bit of research on your other options so you know where you want to go if you choose not to go to Bangkok.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM

do not cancel.... watch the bkk situation and pick a hotel wisely away from any remaining fray... along the river is my preference...

don't stay at the airport....its too far from anything
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Do not cancel your trip. You will have an amazing time here. I'm in BKK right now. I'm not that far from the area where the red shirts have taken over the big malls, but unless you deliberately walk down there, or take the skytrain in that direction, you would not know that anything is happening!
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM

I would watch the Chiang Mai situation more than the Bangkok situation. That may escalate (and may not, of course). No news would be good news there. Bangkok is very big and, as mentioned, you can avoid trouble.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your response. Yes, I'd figure I'd be waiting and watching. Actually, everyday I'm checking the Bankok postings. It has been an enormous help. Good to hear the airport is functioning in normal fashion. That was a huge concern and will continue to be. Now I'm setting up plan B, which most likely I'll go with. I'm leaning towards Luang Prabang as it sounds less touristy than Ko Sumui. If you have any recos; hotels, restaurants or tours, I'd love to hear.
I was also thinking(hoping) if things aren't so terrible in Bankok, I fly to bankok on Friday evening from Luang Prabang. Stay at the Shangri-la or Adelphi suites. And hopefully, get to the CC market on Saturday. With all this red shorts blocking traffic and highways, do you think this will be a problem?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

forgot to mention, I leave on sunday
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:25 AM

i think you have to take one day at a time...

personally i find samui and luang prabang to be equally touristy, i.e. they both are havens for tourists and derive most of their revenues from tourism...

make sure you look at bangkok air for thier pass for your flights, although if you are going sunday, it may be too late for that..

of the 2 hotels that you mention i would way prefer sh-la for its location totally away from any disturbances, although the issues on silom last week are quite near to there and might disturb the traffic patterns....
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Interesting perspective, Bob. Samui and Luang Prabang are so different from each other.

Samui is an international beach resort.

Luang Prabang is a small town that received world heritage site status which has brought many tourists in. But it remains a sleepy town on the river, filled with working wats and monks.

It depends on whether you want beach or culture.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I know comparing Luang Prabang and Ko Sumui is like comparing apples and oranges.
I love the beach, snorkeling and fishing, but I'm leaning towards Luang Prabang as it sounds less built up for tourist.Things I've seen and read posted on the internet of Ko Sumui, well it looks like Spring break in Cancun. Hey, tell me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction. Important factors in my decision making... easy access from Chiang Mai, not overly touristed place and decent weather during this time of year.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM

Check your insurance for this trip!
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:39 AM

debnyc,

There are no snorkeling on Samui and you will have to take a one hour plus boat ride to do so.

If you like it hot and wet then this is the right time of year to visit.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:40 AM

Forgot about the fishing. No game fishing in Samui either. Of course you can cas a line and catch some thing but Samui is not a destination that has produce any sort of game fish.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:43 AM

If you are heading around Koh Samui and are into snorkeling or scuba diving perhaps a few night on Koh Tao island would suit you.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:05 AM

US, UK and Canadian F.O.s have all recommended only essential travel to ALL of Thailand - they also have expiry dates on these notices.

THe problem being that many insurers will not cover travel under these circumstances. Some are covering "normal" claims but nothing arising out of the unrest whilst others are simply telling travellers they are not covered. So you need to check with your insurance company to find out what sort of cover you have - if any.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM

On the other hand, airlines are increasing their flexibility because of the unrest. I received an email from United saying they are allowing flight changes even for non-changeable tickets.

Keep up with the news about Thailand so you can make your decision on the basis of all the available information. It will come down to your comfort level. If I'm comfortable going and you aren't, it's your trip - so don't go.

I don't know if you have purchased travel insurance or not or what kind of insurance you purchase. Frankly, the only kind of travel insurance we purchase is med evac insurance which is not affected by state department travel warnings.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM

james---good to see you---WE MISS YOU AND YOUR GOOD INFO!!!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

I checked with my Amex card/insurance....Travel advisories are not covered. Really at this point, it's up to the kindness of the airlines and booking agents.
So after much advice with you guys and my other travel buddies here's what I've come up with
Plan A- keep my plans for volunteering at Elephant Nature Park and short stay in Chiang Mai. Instead of spending 4 days in Bangkok, I go to Luang Prabang. (Thanks Hunuman for your Ko Samui insights. Sounds like I would have been greatly disappointed)
Have a solid Plan B- I'm booked with CathayPacific and I noticed they are allowing rebooking and rerouting at no extra cost up until May 7th. I'm sure if conditions continue as they are, they will extend this courtesy. If so, rebook and head to Malaysia. I'm thinking Borneo and if not too much overload, Penang.
But honestly, I'm waiting it out as I so much wanted to volunteer at ENP and had my head set on Thailand. Let hope things settle down in the next month. If not...look for me on the Malaysia forum.
BTW....Kathie great post on the Orangutans and your Malaysia trip. If not this time, then it's definitely the next trip for me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -