Short visit to Hong Kong on a budget

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short visit to Hong Kong on a budget

Hi, we leave for Hong Kong on Sunday for a short trip to visit son in Guangzhou. As this is not strictly our holiday we need advice on restaurants etc. that are on a more moderate scale! Last time we tried as many as we could on Cicerone's list which was invaluable, thinking of trying a "private kitchen" for the first time but all suggestion would be very welcome, we liked Il Fauchon Bistro, Aqua Rome/Tokyo, Pearl on Peak, The Boathouse in Stanley,and the restaurant (fish) on the island--haven't yet been to Aberdeen though. We are staying in either Island Pacific - we like the area, or the Metropark Causeway Bay,both of which we have good deals on. Staying 1 night to get visa next day and then travel on train to Guangzhou, then back to HKI on 6th - 9th.
Had hoped to see the Races but don't think our schedule is again going to work for that.
thanks,
Pauline.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM

If you're staying at the Metropark, you can eat at Wun Sha Kitchen, which is just a couple of minutes' walk. Fodorite "yk" ate there earlier this year when she was staying at same hotel. It's modern Chinese cuisine.
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I've marked "yk" report and yours too - lots of different dining options.
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:39 AM

My reccos are a little thin for both the Causeway Bay and Shueng Wan areas, but some reccos would be:

Near the Island Pacific Hotel

West Villa
Ground Floor
Gee Tuck Building
16-20 Bonham Strand
Sheung Wan
Tel: 2543-3990

For dim sum and then sum. Best cha xiu bao in town and lots of other stuff. They may not have any English menus, so either bring some translations with you, or get other diners to help. I donít think they serve dim sum past about 4 pm, but they have other items for dinner.

Malaymama
Shop 11A
Mercer Street
Sheung Wan
Tel: 2542 4111

Good spicy Malay food. Good prices, basically everything is less than US$10, most main entrees are around US$7. Very casual. Not far from the Sheung Wan MTR station. I have not been there in some time, and I am not 100% sure it is still open, have the hotel check.

Magnolia
Shop 5
No. 17 Po Yan Street,
Sheung Wan
Tel: 852 2530 9880
http://www.magnolia.hk/

Wonderful Cajun/Creole food. The chef started out as a caterer but now serves meals on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Hors díoeuvres are generally served in the kitchen area and then you eat upstairs to the main dining room, everyone eats at a large table unless you have a big group in which case you get your own room. Simple white décor. Excellent food. No views. In an out-of-the way neighborhood in Sheung Wan. You have to book ahead. I think this is great for a group of 4 or more, for 2 you might feel a bit strange as the restaurants is almost always larger parties (at least when I have been there), but the food does make it worth it IMO. Price is set at HK$450 and its BYOB. Menu is whatever she is making that night, but donít worry, you will like it.

If you stay at Island Pacific, remember that bus #973 runs though this neighborhood quite near your hotel, and this will take you via a very scenic route to Aberdeen and also on to Stanley, via Deep Water Bay and Repulse Bay, a very nice ride. Itís a double decker and you will get some nice water views from Pokfulam onwards. You can also walk from Deep Water Bay to Repulse Bay (or vice versa), itís a very nice easy flat walk along an esplanade on the water with some really lovely views. I know you have some mobility issues but I think you would have no trouble with this walk. It is only about 1.5 miles. You could then continue on by bus from Repulse Bay to Stanley or just head back into town. A more expensive but great restaurant in Deep Water Bay would be below, if you get a nice afternoon I think this would be a very nice place for lunch.

Cococabana
U/G Beach Building
Island Road, Hong Kong
Deep Water Bay
Tel: 852-2812-2226
http://www.toptables.com.hk/coco

Excellent Mediterranean Restaurant in pretty Deep Water Bay, run by a chef who had a Michelin star at his former restaurant. This restaurant used to be on Lamma and moved over to Hong Kong Island about a year ago. You have to get over the fact that the restaurant is located on top of the bathroom block for the beach, but once you do, you will love it. Great sea views and food. There is also a much more causal beach restaurant here at the other end of the beach run by the same group, see the website.

In Aberdeen is the Top Deck of the Jumbo on top of the Jumbo Floating Restaurant. I would not eat at the Chinese, but I like the restaurant on top.) You can also just take their little bum boat out to see the restaurant and they have shops there now, so you donít have to just be eating at the restaurant.

Top Deck at the Jumbo
Jumbo Kingdom
Shum Wan Pier Drive
Wong Chuk Hang
Aberdeen
Tel: 852 2552 3331
http://www.cafedecogroup.com/TOP_DECK/v_TOP_DECK.asp

In Causeway Bay

West Villa
First Floor, Lee Gardens 2
28 Yun Ping Road
Causeway Bay Tel 2882-2110

Sister outlet of the restaurant above. Same great food.
Savoye Bistro
Ground Floor, Hon Man Mansion
9-11 Wing Hing Street
Tin Hau
Tel : 2503 3222
French bistro in Tin Hau, nice ambience and decor. Food is good, service probably needs a little work, but its a newish place. It is French with a mix of other Continental cuisine. Mid-price, starters and salads are like HK$75-100, and entrees are like HK$155-200. Casual. They have a tiny garden with a table. Wing Hing is just at the north end of Victoria Park, and off of King's Road

Sorabol
17th Floor
Lee Theatre Plaza
99 Percival Street
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
(Near Times Square)
Tel: 2375-2882
Sorabol.com.hk

Korean barbeque, really good and not expensive. English menus with pictures. Noisy and brightly lit, so donít expect ambience, but good food and fun. Expect to pay about HK$150 a person for a very filling meal of several types of beef, noodles. Have the beef on the bone, itís really good, so is the kimchi pancake.

There are tons of other sort of cheap and cheerful restaurants in this same building in Lee Theatre Plaza that would be fine IMO for a basic meal. Thai Sweet Basil for one.

HIRO
10/F, Henry House
42 Yung Ping Road
Causeway Bay
tel: 852 2882 8752.

Great sushi and sashimi, they also have a sister tempura restaurant. Need a booking. A bit more on the expensive side.

For more of a splash-out in that neighborhood, try ToTTís Asian Bar and Grill on the top floor of the Excelsior Hotel. Nice view and good Asian-fusion food. (They also have a tiny outdoor area for drinks.) The bar on top of the Park Lane Hotel also has a nice view of Victoria Park for drinks before and after dinner.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Hello Cicerone, Many thanks for the reccos, that is just the sort of information I was hoping for. We enjoyed your other recommendations and will happily eat our way round these!
I don't suppose you can reccomend any in Guangzhou?
and thanks for the tip about the bus and the walk, I think we are going to stay at Island Pacific as the price is good.
Pauline.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM

I donít have any for Guangzhou, other than to say that Ritz-Carlton has recently opened a new hotel there which may have some good restaurants, comparatively expensive for the town perhaps, but nice ambience, etc. Otherwise, I think you would find some good local places that would not be expensive at all, even by Hong Kong standards.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, we actually quite liked the SOHo area for dining from your previous reccos, and really don't mind traveling about to find new restaurants. as its so easy in HK I really hope that this time we can try a private kitchen so I'll have another look at your posting for that. The art one I think would be good and I'm going to try and visit the gallery too.
although another posting I read recently mentioned another good private kitchen that was now a restaurant.
Pauline