Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Short Tokyo Trip Itinerary Help
Notices

Short Tokyo Trip Itinerary Help

Aug 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Short Tokyo Trip Itinerary Help

I am going to Tokyo in mid-September, arriving Wednesday 1PM at NRT, and departing from NRT at 4:30PM on Sunday. This will be my second short, solo trip to Tokyo. Last time I was there was right around New Year 2013, when I did a day trip to Hakone/Mt. Fuji, plus wondering around at Shibuya, Asakusa, Tokyo Sky Tree, Meiji Jingu. Many places were closed around New Year's, so I ended up spending a lot of the time walking around outside. This time I want to see some museums and government buildings.

Places that I am interested in this time are:
*Imperial Palace (tour Thursday morning)
*Nikko (day tour Friday)
National Diet Building tour
Edo-Tokyo Museum
Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum
Open Air Folk House Museum (in Kawasaki)
Yanaka Cemetery or Railway Museum

I am staying right next to Ueno Station again and will only have carry-on luggage (one backpack and my handbag). Imperial Palace tour and the Nikko tour schedules cannot be changed. Now for the rest of the itinerary:
1. Is there something on the list above that I can fit into Wednesday afternoon, after landing at NRT at 1PM (some place where there are lockers to leave the backpack, perhaps)? Or it would be too late and I should just check in at the hotel and walk around Ameyoko (which I didn't have time to see last time)?
2. I think going to both Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum and the Open Air Folk House Museum would be too much. Is one recommended over the other (I don't speak Japanese, so some English signage or pamphlet would be better)?
3. Does it make sense to group National Diet Building tour with Imperial Palace tour for Thursday, museum chosen in #2 above with the Edo-Tokyo Museum to go on Saturday, and go to Yanaka/Railway Museum on Sunday morning?
Aug 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM
kja

> 1. Is there something on the list above that I can fit into Wednesday afternoon, after landing at NRT at 1PM (some place where there are lockers to leave the backpack, perhaps)?

It isn't on your list, but have you considered the Tokyo National Museum? It's excellent IMO and it's in Ueno Park, so you could easily drop your backpack at your hotel beforehand.
Aug 15th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the National Museum suggestion, but the exhibit list does not seem to fit my interest.
I did a little bit more research and it seems the Open Air Folk House Museum is easier to get to than the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum. So below is my revised itinerary:

Wednesday: Afternoon arrival at NRT, take train to Nippori and walk around Yanaka Cemetery;
Thursday: Morning tour of Imperial Palace and East Garden, afternoon tour of National Diet Building. Walk around Ameyoko in the late afternoon;
Friday: Nikko day tour;
Saturday: Open Air Fok House Museum in the morning, Railway Museum in the afternoon;
Sunday: Edo-Tokyo Museum in the morning, afternoon departure from NRT
Sep 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Just got back from my trip. The "Folk House" turned out to be an euphemisim for houses of those living in the countryside, e.g. farmers, fishermen. I didn't realize that until one of the volunteers who happened to speak English and started talking to me. Nevertheless it was a wonderful place and I'm glad that I went. Next time I want to see the Edo-Tokyo Open Air Architectural Museum also, as it seem to have different type collection of houses.
The Railway Museum in Omiya was a bit of let down after having been to the National Railway Museum in York last year.

Search this Thread