Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shopping Singapore/Malaysia vs duty-free, inflight, etc (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shopping-singapore-malaysia-vs-duty-free-inflight-etc-154032/)

mary Feb 2nd, 2002 09:37 AM

Shopping Singapore/Malaysia vs duty-free, inflight, etc

Hi - Does anyone know if you get a better deal at airport duty free shops vs inflight vs regular stores in Singapore or Malaysia? I hear that perfumes can be a better deal inflight, but certain designer items are a better bargain at KLCC or Suria (are they the same?) What are the best deals in either singapore or malaysia - compared to prices in the US?<BR>

Jen Feb 2nd, 2002 06:09 PM

Sorry I can't be much help, but I can say if you are buying alcohol it definitely won't be cheaper in regular stores in Malaysia! Booze is pretty spendy in these parts.<BR><BR>Suria KLCC is the mall under the twin towers.<BR><BR>I do remember when we flew to Malaysia that we bought cologne for my husband in a duty free shop in Vancouver and it was much cheaper than it was inflight (on JAL). I know, opposite direction - it was a one-way flight, as we moved to Malaysia.<BR><BR>BTW, if you want cheap knock-offs of the expensive perfumes, then Malaysia's the place to come!<BR><BR>Flying home for a visit next week... if I get a chance I'll compare some prices at KLIA and inflight.

Gabriel Feb 3rd, 2002 05:25 AM

Hi Mary<BR><BR>Perfumes are definitely cheaper at duty free than regular department stores although there are perfume discounters like Sasa who sell at prices approacing duty free.<BR><BR>For designer goods, Singapore is cheaper than Malaysia, Gucci in Singapore is probably the 'cheapest' in Asia. Prada's about similar depending on exchange rates. I shopped in NY last year, and prices are pretty similar for European brands, but I suspect with the strong US dollar, you'd make some savings. Email me if you need specifics.<BR><BR>Cheers.

David Feb 3rd, 2002 10:24 AM

Mary<BR><BR>I travelled through KLIA very recently and the airport shops seemed expensive for everything apart from cigaretts. Downtown KL was much cheaper.

Mary Feb 4th, 2002 06:37 PM

Thanks all for the responses. Looks like you're getting out of town before the mad CNY rush Jennifer(did I get that right?). I will be getting in right after that. Actually lived in KL for a long time but things change so much.<BR>Gabe, what do you get for friends and relatives when you shop in the US? That's what the questions are really about - I stopped using fragrance products a long time ago, my husband is allergic to them!

Gabriel Feb 5th, 2002 06:32 AM

Mary<BR><BR>Mainly gifts from Crate and Barrel, Gap, Banana Republic, stuff we don't have here or is a bit more expensive in Asia. Alternatively go to an outlet village and buy great 'name' items on sale. I've come to realised tho that in today's 'world' economy you can get almost anything everywhere! I mean, we even have a Harrod's booth in Singapore selling souvenirs! How weird is that?:-)<BR><BR>

Jen Feb 5th, 2002 05:22 PM

Yes, we leave on Chinese New Year Eve! Last year in KL was okay - everyone having gone back to the kampung to be with their families. We had just arrived and everyone had warned us about KL traffic but we didn't know what they were talking about until the holiday was over!! It was dead everywhere. But now living in Melaka, well, seems it will be insanely busy. Already the stores are crazy - people spend SO much money for Chinese New Year.<BR><BR>BTW, if you are looking for big name clothes I found this neat outlet store in Ampang Point mall. Has British India clothes (beautiful!) for a fraction of the cost of the regular stores. Can't remember the name of the store, just know there were other shops with outlets in there as well. Also handicrafts and rugs for sale in that mall, too. <BR><BR>Have a good trip!