Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Top 5 things to see/do in Bangkok in 3 days.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:24 AM
dina

We are visiting Bangkok for 3 days then staying in Koh Samui for 6 nights.

What is the best things to do/see in Bangkok & Koh Samui ?

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Mary Anne Cook

Check the website hoteltravel.com and there will be Top ten Things to do in Bangkok. The Grand Palace would be at the top of my list. When you go there fist there will be on that ticket one for the Vinnameck Palace which I enjoyed. The Chutuchak Market is amazing. Another favorite Wat of mine was Wat Po the temple of the Dawn. The market at Patpong is also good. I enjoyed just jumping on the river taxi and going up and down the river and stopping at various places to look around. I will be back in bangkok in 3 weeks. I do plan to go to the national Museum which I did not visit last time. Also plan to go to Ayutthaya, the old capital, which will be a day trip. I have not been to Koh Samui. Have a Great trip!

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Kathy

We just returned from our trip to Thailand with our two teenagers. In Bangkok, we had the most fun taking a klong small boat tour around 4pm. Lots of private long tail boats were zipping by us while we slowly made our way past the most interesting scenes near the end of the day...people pulling fish out of the river for dinner, children waving to us from their back yards on the river's edge. There are numerous neighborhood temples to view as you float by. On our way back to the Marriott on the main part of the river,we stopped at Wat Arun about 5:30 pm; it was beautiful right before sunset.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:45 PM
Michele

In my opinion:
Must Dos:
Grand Palace and Wat Pra Keo (Emerald Buddha)
A massage - I did mine at Wat Po which was interesting
weekend market - Assuming you can stand a little flea market style shopping. It gets pretty hot so I recommend going early.
Bangkok museum - If you would like to see some traditional statues and
remnants.
A ride on the river - the amount of traffic and commerce was amazing. I
enjoyed just taking the water bus.
Wat Arun - much smaller than golden palace area. A much different style -
used porcelain to decorate the outside.

Should Dos
Wat Po - I would recommend doing on a separate day from Wat Pra Keo. I
sort of hit overload on glitter & cant remember much here except the massage
and some impish statues.

Peninsula or some other upscale hotel. Just because you can get such
luxury and great service for much cheaper than other cities in the world.

Jim Thompson hous - I didn't go, but I wish I would have.

Other things to consider:
Golden Buddha at Wat Traimit - not very large. If you are impressed by 5
tons of real gold it is worth while.
Vimanmek Mansion - Okay, but more european than Thai. Interesting to be
where Rama V hung out.
Attuyatta - if would like to see more ancient sites
Dinner at the Oriental with dances
Go through the red light district.
More shopping - I tried RiverCity shopping center - Upscale & medium scale shopping center.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:45 PM
pebble

I don't know if it includes a weekend. It it does, take the train to Mo Chit (very inexpensive less than 2 USD) from the city and visit Suen Chak Tu Chak

Its a weekend flea market that sells everything from home wares, crafts, plants, candles, clothes and excellent food.

It has changed over the years. Its getting bigger and I always get lost in the humidity. But there is a strong influx of young Thais that have set up nice cafes, little eating places and selling very cool and modern wares that still has the handiwork of Traditional Thai workmanship but updated. Prices are not ridiculous and don't bargain like you are in Vietnam. They are more realistic about what we are prepared to pay and many stall owners are accomodating. But do ask and shop around because I bought a set of utensils (copper hand made type) for a lot less at a stall than when I started shopping. Also try not to buy from Patpong because whatever you need as gifts to bring home you can find at Suen ChaK Tu ChaK for a lot less.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:41 AM
lisa

Just back. My "top 5":

1. Grand Palace & Wat Phra Keo -- wow!
2. daytrip to ruins of old capital of Ayutthaya (can do an elephant ride near here too), returning by boat.
3. Wat Arun ("temple of the dawn")
4. dinner and Thai traditional dance performance at the Oriental Hotel
5. Tossup -- either a 2-hour traditional Thai massage, or for shopping either Chatuchak weekend market (enormous, cheap, and a fun cultural experience, but hot and crowded) or the main Jim Thompson store (huge and fantastic for high-quality silk items but not as inexpensive as elsewhere (the main store is not the one by the Jim Thompson house, which is smaller), OR if you are not into shopping and want to see more authentic art/furnishings/architecture/artifacts I would recommend either the Suan Pakkard palace -- 5 teak buildings filled with Thai art, furnishings, and artifacts -- or the Jim Thompson House, OR if you have kids with you they would probably enjoy the Snake Farm which has an 11:00 a.m. demonstration where you can see cobras, vipers and pythons, watch a snake being milked for its venom, and hold and pet the snakes and be photographed with them.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Leigh

hello
royal palace is a must
night market in Patpong
day tour 'Bridge over the River Kwai'

rgds

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:39 PM
Donna

Hi Lisa,
am interested in hearing about your trip and have many questions.
Can you email me your tips for shopping, dining and sight seeing?
Do you have an approixmate price list for everyday items?
We will be staying at the Parthumwan Princess. What do you think of this position?
My email address is
[email protected]
Look forward to your reply
Donna
melbourne

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 09:14 PM
marg

There is a great day trip to Ayutthaya going by coach one way and returning along the river. We had lunch on the boat. The tour went to another palace on the way (Bang Pa??). We've done this tour twice and really recommend it. The tour went from the Oriental Hotel.
The Rose Gardens is an enjoyable if touristy day out. You have a trip on a long-tailed boat, visit some temples en route. The Rose Gardens has a cultural show plus lots of stalls making and selling arts and crafts, plus it is set in a garden atmosphere on the river bank. There is a hotel there if you want to stay the night.
Jim Thompson's house (not shop) was very interesting.
When we went to the museum, we found one building full of the funeral chariots used for the royal family - that was a bit different to western eyes.
Naturally you must see the Grand Palace - one of the big musts for Bangkok.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
lisa

Donna -- I posted a trip report here on this forum a few days ago -- I will try to bring it to the top for you.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:25 AM
fiona

Leigh
I would be very interested to hear about the River Kwai trip. We have been wondering if it was worth the day trip as we only have 4 days in Bangkok!

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 10:23 PM
dale

I've done the River Kwai trip and don't recommend it personally (just not my thing) plus it's not the real bridge they show you. Also the "restaurant" they took us to for lunch had toilets that emptied straight onto the vegetable garden (only noticed this after lunch) and rampant flies landing on the food in the open air, dirt floor middle of nowhere eatery. There are nicer places around so check which one they plan to take you to. The ones actually by the river looked quite nice we noticed as they wized us by!

OK In Bankok I recommend The Grand palace and Wat Po.
The markets around the Amari Watergate hotel.
Just wandering the streets taking in all the smells and sights.
I haven't done the Rose Garden tour but have heard that it is very good.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 09:05 AM
fiona

thanks for the input Dale!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 11:10 PM
Suz

Hi Donna

I've been recomended by friends to stay at Pathumwan Princess Bkk & will leave this weekend. They say that the location is great for shopping and for sightseeing it's convenient as it is near the train station - check their website at www.pprincess.com

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Donna

Hi Suz,
can you email me when you get back????
I hope you have a great trip. Also would be interested to hear your thoughts on MBK and other nearby shopping.
Look forward to your reply
Donna