Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shopping in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shopping-in-thailand-654316/)

peacheysmokey Oct 22nd, 2006 09:59 AM

Shopping in Thailand

We'll be in Bangkok and Chiang Mai in December. I don't like to shop, but everyone seems to be talking about the great shopping in Bangkok. What are people buying there? (I don't need a tailor since I live in jeans and a t shirt).

rhkkmk Oct 22nd, 2006 10:59 AM

custom made jeans for less than the ones you buy at home...jewelry to go with the jeans---pearls of course...

fabulous T shirts

home decorating things

Kathie Oct 22nd, 2006 11:05 AM

Whatever you want, you can find in Bangkok. Someone here recommended a tailor who does fabulous jeans... and the nicest t-shirts are at Jim Thompson.

I'm a collecter of crafts, and there are many wonderful local crafts available, ranging from teakwood puppets in costumes made from vintage (50 yr. old plus fabrics), handwoven silks, handmade paper and bound blank books, pottery and porcelain, hilltribe jewelry, wallhangings, baskets, etc. There are also items like handpainted book leaves (old) to modern paintings available in lovely handmade frames. There is antique Khmer silver, antique wood carvings, etc. There are also old amulets at the amulet market.

Also, sapphires and rubies are excellent buys (as long as you go to a reputable jeweler and don't fall for one of those "special governement sale" scams).

Some people like to buy Western designer items there (real or fake). If I want a designer item, I look for a Thai designer item.

There are interesting housewares of all types, fabulous fabrics (silk and cotton such as those at Jim Thompson), celadon as individual pieces or as a whole set of dinnerware, etc.

Theses are just a sample of things someone might want to buy in Bangkok. What are you interested in?

Gpanda Oct 22nd, 2006 01:35 PM

We are not consumer oriented at all. Nonetheless, we always take an empty duffel bag to Thailand to hold all of our purchases. Some of the items are rare and others are so cheap, you can't pass them up.

rhkkmk Oct 22nd, 2006 02:45 PM

how many frogs do you have??

SueHuml Oct 22nd, 2006 03:34 PM

Bob that's the first time I've heard of pearls in Thailand. Are they good ones? What about Black pearls? Freshwater or cultured?
Sue

erly Oct 22nd, 2006 05:08 PM

European items are more expensive.
The fakes unlike countries like Morrocco look like fakes.
Jeans and t-shirts are very reasonable.
I was expecting fake designer bags, but it didn't happen.
If you are a small size, the Thai designers are great, and very creative.
The Riverside Antique mall was the most interesting for me, and I sent home many items.
They make it very easy as they arrange shipping on the spot.
Everything came in perfect condition.
I felt that the prices were excellent.
The masks are cheap and decorative as are the teak items, so I am sure that you will purchase a few things just for the "memory" of your trip.
There are entire jewellery malls, but I didn't buy anything.
I purchased a camera, as mine had a problem, and it was slightly cheaper than at home.
I couldn't believe how many malls exist in this city.
I'm going back in January, and can't wait to hit riverside again, but I love antiques.

Kathie Oct 22nd, 2006 06:07 PM

The antique mall, called River City is excellent.

Sue, you can buy pearls in Thailand, but they are not the bargain they are in China, for instance (if you can be assured of the real thing) or the Philippines. I did buy a pair of stunning earrings with large golden-toned salt water pearls from Burma. Black pearls are not indigenous to this area.

rhkkmk Oct 22nd, 2006 07:01 PM

sue---that was a joke...sorry...there are phuket pearls and fresh water pearls, but they do not compare with pearls elsewhere...

some understand my sense of humor or lack of it and others miss it...sorry

TexasSlim Oct 22nd, 2006 07:56 PM

Also plenty of cheap DVDs, CDs, computor software.

peacheysmokey Oct 23rd, 2006 04:09 AM

I would be interested in local craft items. So Kathie, maybe you can tell me where to go. We'll also be in Chiang Mai.

If my 14 y/o son gets to a store with dvds and cs, we'll never get out of there!

Guenmai Oct 23rd, 2006 06:57 AM

Home interior items/fabulous...tropical-style clothing...sapphires...rubies...Jim Thompson everything... great magazines relating to the regions of Southeast Asia...hardback/coffee table-style gorgeous books....ethnic textiles which can be used for table runners/table cloths or small throws over sofas/chairs....Happy Travels!

kaneda Oct 23rd, 2006 06:59 AM

I live in France and do not use national TV so buy DVD's at 80 baht each, all the latest films, TV series, etc for next year's viewing. I have many oddments I have picked up over the years in Bangkok, including a number of original pastel and charcoal pictures I have had done there. One benefit is that the shopping centres are semi-A/C so are fairly cool compared to the heat outside. Were it not for the shopping, I would not visit Bangkok.

Guenmai Oct 23rd, 2006 09:38 AM

Bangkok is a fabulous city and has a lot more to offer than just shopping. So peacheysmokey, I'm sure you'll enjoy all that Bangkok has to offer. Happy Travels!

zoomoozophone Nov 29th, 2006 06:59 AM

Just saw this thread and was wondering if anyone can provide more info on the custom jeans tailor. Something I'd definitely like to take advantage of! Sara

bridger Nov 29th, 2006 07:27 AM

I have heard that Bangkok might be a good place to have eye tests and get prescription glasses made up. Can anyone confirm this and even perhaps recommend an optician?

Kathie Nov 29th, 2006 07:49 AM

Bridger, someone recently asked this question about prescription eyeglasses, so there is a whole thread about it. Just look at the titles of the threads.

Peachey, if you are still reading this thread, take a look at my trip report, as I reorted on aome places to buy crafts in Chiang Mai.

hawaiiantraveler Nov 29th, 2006 08:31 AM

Kathie:

Do you remember where you can get the custom made jeans or who recommended? You just piqued Linda's interest.

Aloha!

Kathie Nov 29th, 2006 09:39 AM

HT, I think it was rizzolo who had the recommendation. Sorry, I don't remember the tailor. I've thought about doiong it too, but too many things I wanted to do in Bangkok this trip.

kaneda Nov 29th, 2006 09:42 AM

The main clothing area in Bangkok is just off Ratchaprarop before the Indra Regent hotel. There are hundreds of stalls back of the main street. Check out the nearby Platinum Mall on Phetchburi which despite it's name is fairly cheap.