Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shopping in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shopping-in-thailand-210222/)

xenia Apr 30th, 2002 02:47 PM

Shopping in Thailand

We are going to Thailand very soon. This forum has been a tremendous help. I would like to get some additional information on shopping. <BR>Good buys/locations for jewerely<BR>Tailors for custom suits/shirts<BR>What are the best buys<BR>Shipping home? do /don't<BR><BR>thanks for any advice you can give

Lulu May 1st, 2002 05:44 AM

Hi Xenia<BR>Good things to buy - fabric - silk in particular - try T.Shinawatra (can find tje address on the internet)<BR>I was told by Thai friends that shipping stuff home can be a bit dodgy and it often doesn't reach there, so unless you're backpacking, just don't take too much with you and leave space in your suitacse for shopping.

t May 1st, 2002 06:57 AM

Unless you know about gems and can decide what is real and what is not, what is good quality and what is poor quality I would forget about buying jewellery.<BR><BR>Sad I know, but there are so many scams here.<BR>

lynn May 1st, 2002 10:56 AM

Agree with T.<BR><BR>You must be very careful about buying jewelry. If you really want to, only get things from a well-known, reputable shop. Of course, that won't be where the real deals are but if you don't know about gems, you shouldn't buy anything off the street.<BR><BR>Lynn :)

Kathie May 1st, 2002 06:25 PM

There are certainly many people who succumb to gem scams in Thailand. The come-on is that you can buy jewelry from a "government" shop, special price today (or this weekend, or whatever) only, and sell it when you get home for several times what you paid for it. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. And if it appeals to greed, it's a scam. I remember a sign in a hotel room in Phuket many years ago that read "Please do not buy gems on the beach as you would not in your own country."<BR><BR>If you you common sense, you can get very good deals on unset stones (sapphires are the best deal, followed by rubies) and and jewelry. Of course, you must buy from a reputable jeweler, and you must know something about gems and jewelry (just as you need to know that to get a good deal in your own country).<BR><BR>That said, I've been buying unset stones and jewelry in Bangkok for about 20 years. I've never been cheated, and I've been able to buy unset stones for about half of the wholesale price in the US. I buy for myself and for gifts, but I've met jewelers in Bangkok buying for their businesses as well. The jeweler I use is SJ International, 125/1 Sawankhalok Road, Dusit, Bangkok. Look them up in the phone book and call for pick up at your hotel. All of the good jewelry shops provide free transportation to and from the shop, whether or not you buy anything there.

Amy May 3rd, 2002 07:03 AM

My family lived in Bangkok for a few years and always shopped at Johnny's Gems. A number of diplomats and US Embassy employees in Bangkok have gone there. They will pick you up at your hotel and will even feed you lunch while you shop even if you don't buy anything. My husband (boyfriend at the time we visited my parents) said that the pad thai he had there was probably one of the best he has ever had (I think he might have just been enthralled with the uniqueness of it--you certainly don't find places like this in the US!). Their sapphire, tri-color (ruby, sapphire and emerald) and jade jewelry are the best buys. I have a couple of beautiful pieces of the tri-color jewelry that my parents bought for me from there and my husband picked out a beautiful sapphire tennis bracelet that his mom asked him to pick up for her. They have very reasonable prices and are typically willing to negotiate especially if you buy a couple of pieces. My parents also shopped at Venus jewelry near Lumpini Park and found some nice pieces there. I think they will arrange transportation for you but my parents lived near there so we always walked. <BR><BR>For tailored suits, pants, shirts, I would recommend Raja's Fashions on Sukhumvit near Soi 4. Also, on the corner of Soi 21 and Sukhumvit, there was a dress-maker that my mom used while she was there. You can get fabulous custom-made silk dresses/suits for a great deal!<BR><BR>

kurt May 4th, 2002 03:05 PM

I found Thailand to be a wonderful place for shopping values and quality of goods. Watch for wicker - and teak utensils (spoons, etc.) made in roadside stands. They're beautiful and very inexpensive. <BR>I'd stay away from jewelry - unless you learn from your hotel consierge where to go. Don't let your tour guide tell you the places. <BR>Furniture is a fine value in Thailand - again teak is especially beautiful. You can't buy the quality of wood here in the USA. Shipping goods home is safe and sometimes a better value as they know how to do it! Just use your credit card. Enjoy! Be sure to check out the night market in Chang Mai. It's a far better deal than the Bangkok markets. <BR>