Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shopping in Singapore? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shopping-in-singapore-485670/)

albaaust Nov 11th, 2004 09:40 PM

Shopping in Singapore?

Planning to go back to Japan in December via Singapore.We will spend about 5 days in Singapore on way back. I have heard that you can take a day trip into Malaysia where the shopping is better. Does anyone out there know anything about this? I had a lot of help from people before we went to Japan in September so hoping for more of the same.

kilofoxtrot Nov 12th, 2004 06:06 AM

Hi
The shopping in Malaysia may be cheaper but it certainly isn't better than Singapore, where the range is much wider especially luxury goods. I hope you will be going after christmas as there are traditionally massive post christmas sales in town from 26th Dec onwards. However if you are there for 5 days you may want to take a coach tour to Malaysia up to Malacca. You can go all the way to Kuala Lumpur by first class coach in 6 hours even, but that will be pushing your itinerary

Walter_Walltotti Nov 12th, 2004 06:28 AM

I think you nip over the border to Johor Bahru a very short drive from Singapore.

Cicerone Nov 12th, 2004 07:26 AM

What kinds of goods are you interested in? Designer luxury goods and electronic items may not be much cheaper than Australia, where I believe you live from reading your other posts. For electronics, do a lot of comparison shopping before you go or you will end up paying more than you should. Also make sure you get an international guarantee so you can have an item repaired at home under it if necessary. I would be a bit wary of getting fake electronic goods in Malaysia, would have less concerns in Singapore, but would be wary of paying too much unless you really know your prices. If you are looking for designer goods, stick to retail shops with fixed prices, as you are likely to get fakes in market stalls or night markets (if that does not bother you, bargain very hard in market stalls.).

If you are interested in local items and crafts, jewelry, etc. having seen some of your other posts, I know you have been to Thailand. I would say in general the craft/local item shopping in both Singapore and Malaysia is not nearly as good as in Thailand, and I would not make a special trip to Malaysia just for that, as the shopping in Singapore is adequate for those items. Malacca is an interesting destination for a day or two in itself, and might have some interesting shopping for crafts (it certainly does for furniture), but you would not find a lot of designer clothing, etc plus prices won?t be better than the US.

You can take a bus or a taxi to Johur Bahru for an afternoon from Singapore (trip is under half an hour), but again I am not sure it is worth it.

albaaust Nov 16th, 2004 08:38 PM

Thank you to those who replied to my post. I haven't replied sooner because I could not get back on the site. I have travelled to Thailand many times and I am aware that the "shopping" is not as good in Singapore. Whenever I go to Thailand I usually get some clothes made. I also like buying craft items which are not too pricey eg.,art works such as Japanese woodblock prints or Thai Bronze Buddhas.Is Malacca still good for wooden carving? I am not thinking about buying furniture but maybe I could be persuaded. Electronic goods? We were in Singapore for 2 days in 1984 and bought a stereo system which then, was much cheaper compared to Australian prices but as Cicerone says I would have to do some comparison shopping if I planned to buy something like that this time. I have to say Japan prices were not any cheaper.Can I ask those of you who suggested bussing to Johor Bahru-you wouldn't recommend staying there only visiting for an afternoon? What about staying in Malacca?

Guenmai Nov 17th, 2004 12:11 PM

I go to Singapore a lot for vacation and I find the shopping EXCELLENT! I shop for hard-to-find Indonesian batik pieces which I can't find in large amounts in Bangkok...although I go there a lot,too. I shop at the Tanglin Shopping Center where both old and new items can be found. It's one of my favorite places to shop along with Arab Street...especially #95 Arab street for incredible handpainted Indonesian batik on silk which takes 6-8 months to produce. This particular shop has been in business since 1940.There are shops all up and down that street and in that area. Plus I think Raffles City Mall is great. I especially love the British India store which is similar to Banana Republic but much higher quality and has a British/French Colonial style to the clothes...like Catherine de Nueve(sp?) in Indochine.There are several British India stores in Singapore. And then there are fantastic alligator and crocodile products that in the States w cost 4 times the Singapore price. I shop at Kaiyo Reptile products...14-16 Chang Charn Road...near Hoifhat Road. When bargainig, I automatically take 30% off the asking price. This is a huge warehouse showroom with all kinds of skins made into items...beautiful stuff. And then there's Peter Hoe in the Chjmes Shopping complex which is wonderful. Singapore has very high-quality items.I've been there many times and have stayed up to nearly two weeks and still haven't done everything. Oh, and there's Park Mall at Dhoby Gaut MRT stop for everything for the house...interior design mall. Happy Travels!

Cicerone Nov 18th, 2004 03:40 AM

There is no need to stay overnight in JB as it is just over the causeway from Singapore and you can get there from downtown S?pore in under a half hour. Moving bag and baggage to JB just for shopping would not seem worth it. You could go for a whole day or just an afternoon. There is not a whole lot of cultural interest in JB or the immediate area.

Malacca is a very interesting town, I think it is worth an overnight just for the sights alone. They have a bit of Portuguese colonial building left (including a church and cemetery that I find very interesting), a nice size China town (furniture shopping is good here for ?antiques? and reproductions) and a good museum of Malay history. Good Malay food from street stalls (very safe like Singapore). All in all a nice trip. You can take a public bus up in a few hours, a nice drive through the countryside. You could also rent a car in S?pore or JB (Malaysia may be cheaper to rent than S?pore, try comparing Avis, Hertz, etc renting from both at the airport in JB). Malaysia and Singapore are about the only 2 countries in Asia where I even suggest people consider renting cars. As an Aussie, you will be used to driving on the ?wrong? side of the road. Highways and signage are good.

I second the reccos above for Arab Street and the Tanglin Shopping Centre. (not the Tanglin Mall, which does not have as many curio and antique shops).