Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shopping in SHENZHEN region? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shopping-in-shenzhen-region-255562/)

Stephanie Sep 3rd, 2002 01:15 PM

Shopping in SHENZHEN region?

I will be visiting Hong Kong and there is an organized trip to shop in SHENZHEN. I know nothing of this area and wonder if it is truly a worthwhile tour. Places that will be part of the tour include Dongmen, and Lo Wu City Shopping Mall. IS this better than markets in HK?

karen Sep 3rd, 2002 06:08 PM

In Lo Wu City, you have to bargain hard for a good deal. Personally, I don't think it worths the effort. There is not much sightseeing in ShenZhen either.

Marilyn Sep 3rd, 2002 08:51 PM

Shenzhen used to be a very raw border town (unpaved streets, maybe one decent hotel) where one left the New Territories and entered China proper. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago) it looked just like Hong Kong, i.e., there were blocks of the same stores you see everywhere in HK, all done up quite chi-chi to my surprise. I'd definitely skip it, unless something has changed significantly.<BR><BR>Depending on what kind of shopping you want, I'd go to some of the major shopping centers either HK side or Kowloon side, or the Temple Street night market for real bargains. HK is the sort of city where it's practically impossible NOT to shop. Stores are EVERYWHERE and open all evening.<BR><BR>I know there are some frequenters of this forum who live in HK, so maybe they will chime in and give you some front-line shopping advice.

hk girl Sep 4th, 2002 12:21 AM

I live in HK and I've been to Lo Wu City once lately. Personally I wouldn't return. The passage from the train station to the mall isn't appealing or safe (at least not enough for me). Nor is the mall. For one thing it can be cleaner and more pleasant. People from HK do go there for bargains but you'll have to know how. I don't think tourists can get much better of a bargain than in shops in HK, especially if they can't speak Chinese.<BR><BR>The mall is very commercial. If you do want to see something "Chinese" and local, Marilyn's suggestion of the Temple Street will be a good idea.<BR><BR>But if you do go to Shenzhen, take extra care of your wallets and do NOT let small children wander around alone.

Kat Sep 4th, 2002 12:29 AM

Yes I do agree with HK Girl.<BR><BR>Shenzhen is no Hong Kong. It's not worth your time, not mentioning the time spent on crossing the border.

Anna Sep 4th, 2002 01:20 PM

I've been to Shenzhen several times. March 2002 was my most recent visit. If you decide to go, watch your belongings during your visit especially at the train station. You should be fine with an organized trip but always be aware of your surroundings. Shenzhen has a really nice miniature park which is new and very clean. Its well worth the visit. As for shopping, there is an 6-8 story mall outside the train station that sells knockoff handbags, shoes, and everything else you can think of. The store owners can bargain in English and remember to bargain hard. As an example, my friend was able to get a knockoff Ferragamo purse for HKD 75 (USD less than $10) The store was asking for HKD 250. Also a great place for custom-made clothes but you'll need to come back in two days to pick it up. I had slacks made for HKD 80 which includes the fabric. I hope this helps.

Deborah Adams Sep 6th, 2002 12:39 PM

Agree with others. Unless your passing through to cross border at train station, no reason to go. Train station stalls have lot's of "copy stuff" to bargin for. Good prices if your good at it, but you can do that in HK.

Stephanie Sep 9th, 2002 02:12 PM

Thanks to all for the replies, has given<BR>me great insight.

Roni Sep 12th, 2002 06:19 AM

We had the opportunity to visit Shenzhen with someone who lives in HK,and frequents Shenzhen for the deals. We had a great time and got a lot of great deals...but it was only because we went with someone who spoke the language and knew the area well. If we were on our own, I don't think we would have enjoyed the place.

Cozaar Sep 12th, 2002 07:39 PM

Especially to hk girl and other well travelled friends,what's the best or cheapest choice to enter Shenzhen?<BR>1)Get my China/Shenzhen visa ready in my own country.<BR>2)Get my china visa while in HK and where to get it,charges?<BR>3)Get the visa at the Luo Wu customs border-cheaper?faster?multiple entry possible?<BR>l'm holding a Singapore Passport.<BR>Cheers!

hk girl Sep 12th, 2002 08:06 PM

I'm afraid I can't help much in regard to travel documents, as HK citizens travel into Mainland China with a special kind of document. However, here's a link which might offer some info if you read Chinese. But I found it pretty confusing myself...<BR><BR>http://www.chinatravel1.com/zhengjian/qianzheng/shenban.htm<BR><BR>But isn't it the safest to get your visa while in your own country?

Cozaar Sep 17th, 2002 01:02 AM

Hi Hk girl,thanx 4 your reply.<BR>the problem is l may not have enough time to go to SZ and hence would prefer to get the visa at the customs.How long do they take to process the visaat the customs?l heard it's 100HK?Will there be a long queue to cross the customs if l go in at 8am on weekdays?<BR>My HK friends say they always visit SZ to buy pirated VCD,how strict are the customs with these fake VCD/DVD?<BR>Any suggestions/advice to tackle this problem?<BR>Cheers!<BR>

jp Sep 20th, 2002 01:41 AM

Shenzen shopping not so great, however you should not miss getting a foot massage, manicure, head shampoo/massage all for not more than 4$ US each. I've had foot massages in the states for $65 and up and none of them could touch the massages I recieved in China.