Shopping for hotels for Feb.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We normally prefer small boutique hotels. And realize they won't be the same in India. Most important- it's clean and got charm. If it's big and got charm that's good but normally prefer small.
We just got our flights and now beginning with hotels. What do you think?
Love to read your thoughts!

BIKANER:
Hotel Jaswant Bhawan
Heritage Resort Bikaner

JAISALMER:- 3 nights.
Garh Jaisal:
Mandir Palace
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify I'm trying to decide between the 2 but if you have a different suggestion that's great.
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"...realize they won't be the same in India."

Just wondering what you had in mind so we know the practical implications regarding what you think the differences are and what will be acceptable to you. "Clean & got charm" can include a wide range. I've stayed in both very humble and quite luxurious places that had both.

Are you planning to choose from those hotels or are you looking for suggestions?
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Shinny marble bathroom with jet showers, heated towel racks with mult towels, luxurious bedding : which people often think of when they say Boutique Hotel in the US.

So, I just wanted to make it understood that is not what I am expecting.
I selected the 2 different hotels for the 2 places from a web site and would like to know peoples thoughts on them or other suggestions.

Thanks for your time!
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 02:35 AM

I stayed in the Garh Jaisal in Jaisalmer. A small hotel with a fabulous location in one of the fort towers, with great views of the city. I really loved staying inside the fort -- the morning and evenings, before the tourist crowds built up, I felt like we were in a small town.

Here's my trip report description:
<< Jaisalmer/Garh Jaisal: One of our 3 favorites -- this is a beautiful hotel in the fort, fabulous views of the city, and incredibly well run by the boys from Nepal! They are warm, gracious and helpful, and we ended up really enjoying this place. The few quirks of the place are understood as part of the old and fragile nature of the place, but we adapt and feel very much at home in this place. The room was very comfortable with a window seat overlooking the city and the rooftop a spectacular place to sit and have chai or meals. Great breakfast, lots of extra masala chai! Highly recommend. Rs 5200, including breakfast.>>

Paule
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, and thanks for your trip report which I just starting enjoying and know my husband will also enjoy reading!
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My first time in Jaisalmer I stayed at Killa Bhawan, the description of which would sound much like that of Garh Jaisal, except I suspect it's smaller, just a guess. Built into a corner of the fort with city views and overlooking the entrance to the fort. Also Nepali young men with neverending chai. I recommend the place wholeheartedly.

http://www.killabhawan.com/history/j...lla-bhawan.htm
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM

I'm glad that the info is helpful and you're enjoying the trip report. We really loved our trip to India, and I really couldn't have put it together without help from people on this board, so it pleases me especially to be able to "give back" and share my own travel experiences.
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, 2 good choices!

Any thought on Bikaner?
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 06:04 PM

First off impacked, I love your username- very witty

I haven't been to Bikaner, but looking at your choices, I'd choose the Heritage Resort Bikaner. Have you also checked out the Laxmi Niwas Palace? It looks beautiful, albeit maybe a bit pricey.

If you can make it to Japiur as well, you should. It's known as the Pink City, and has some beautiful forts and palaces.