Shoes in the Grand Palace Bangkok

Sep 8th, 2005, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Shoes in the Grand Palace Bangkok

I have read many previous posts regarding the type of shoes allowed here. Some say the entire foot has to be covered, some that you can wear a sandal with a heel stap and toes exposed. I'm considering bringing a pair of isotoner ballet slippers along just in case. Even my winter tevas have keyholes that allow some of my foot to show. Has anyone been there recently and observed what women were wearing on their feet?
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:50 AM

others may have comments but we have worn regular sandals there with straps at the back....thais all wear flip flops all the time so i really see it as an over exposed area of concern...

others may be able to relate problems however....i do know that you must be properly covered up on the rest of your body however...
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:11 AM

you need to have a strap on the back of your shoe. Last time I went I just decided to skip the sandals and wear walking shoes to avoid an issue since I think it's a bit arbitrary. I was with Ratt so I just kept my sandals in her car and changed when we left the temple.
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM

The Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha complex is the one place mnay people get turned away bevcause of inappropriate dress. The signs specify that you must have a heel strap on sandals. It isn't that your whole foot has to be covered, so your Tevas are probably fine. If you're worried, the ballet slippers will be fine.
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM

I was there last year with a Thai friend and was told by her that locals can wear any type of shoe including flip flops (and enter free) while foreigners need a heel strap on their shoes, with toes not being a matter of concern at all. She couldn't explain why but said it was likely their 'privilege'.

I had on extra long pants covering my shoes which were covered in front but had no heel straps and was told at the entry point to hitch my pant leg up so they could check the back of my shoes. The shoes I was told to hire (you backtrack back to the entrance, pay for a new pair of socks and put on a pair of generic sandals in your size) were just regular strappy sports sandals showing an inordinate amount of ugly socks.