Search

Shoes for 6 inches of water

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoes for 6 inches of water

Fodorites, I need your help.

I am traveling with my parents to Vietnam and Cambodia in late October this year. My mom recently spoke with one of her friends who was there 'around that time' and said there was '6 inches of standing water everywhere [they] went".

I don't believe this to be true, but Mom 100% believes and now needs shoes that are appropriate for this [supposed] level of water. She does not want to wear rain boots however.

Can you help me prove to my mom (I'll show her this thread) that this isn't true? Or if it is, what kind of footwear would be appropriate?

Thanks!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 11:07 AM

You might run into areas that are flooded, though certainly it isn't everywhere. I typically wear flip-flops for wading in flooded areas. You want something sturdy - I like Olu Kai.

You might want to look at the weather data: www.weatherbase.com October is rainy in parts of SE Asia.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 11:56 AM

I was in Hoi An a few years ago, not when it was flooded, but there were torrential rains. I wore water sandals and they worked great. I suggest Tevas or Keens. I prefer not to wear flip flops because they don't stay on my feet, but everyone's different.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Foggy, good question!

River waders should cover all eventualities...

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...+waders+images

But, your best bet is to wait and see. You won't have a problem buying anything that the locals wear, unless of course you're outsized!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Kathie and InternetWiz- thanks! That's what I'm bringing. Wasn't sure if sandals would be 'sanitary', but that seems to be the best bet.
Thank you to you two for your suggestions.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 01:29 AM

Shoes get sucked off your feet in water, boots even more so once they fill up. I don't think your friends are exaggerating at all!

I go to Siem Reap every year in Sept or October, and a few trips I've spent a good part of my two or three weeks in KNEE deep water! I love it though. The afternoon rains are awesome, the temples and fields are neon green, and in the afternnons many tourists give up and you'll have the temples almost to yourselves.

I have a pair of Crocs sandals that look like Tevas with several adjustable velcro straps and, most important, a strap around the ankle to keep them from popping off.

I know lots of people wear Tevas and Keens. The water will go right through, and if you rinse them in your shower at night they won't be gross in the morning. I like the Crocs because they are lighter, and fit my feet better.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have a decent tread on the bottom, so you don't slip. Even when there isn't flowing water, the concrete, rocks and muddy lanes get slippery.

Mine are like this but in a green/black color combo:
http://www.crocs.com/womens-crocs-xt...otwear-sandals

these look even better:

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-men%E2%80...otwear-sandals
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 02:37 AM

My favorite tropical footwear are Chaco's -- open sandals with adjustable support straps and sturdy soles. They're great for wading through puddles and mud, walking on the beach, climbing up and down uneven stairs, walking on any type of rugged or slippery terrain. Rinse them off in the shower and they're as good as new.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 02:52 AM

@marmot<<<They're great for wading through puddles and mud, walking on the beach, climbing up and down uneven stairs, walking on any type of rugged or slippery terrain.>>>

It's v. important if you can't see where your feet are treading, or the surface is potentially slippery, uneven, or loose to have both hands free and available.

So wear your day-pack over both shoulders. And it's times like this when you might need to use your basic first-aid kit, so carry it.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Lcuy and marmot- thank you! I have Chacos to wear on the trip (love them!) I guess I will need to talk mom into sandals and dealing with the 'dirty water', because at least they will be dry in the morning (unlike her idea- above the ankle hiking boots!)
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 01:20 PM

Foggy
Hope my Health & Safety tips are useful, they could save you a painful trip to a doctor!
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM

If your Mom doesn't want sandals look at "amphibian" shoes. I like Soloman brand. I had mine for Thailand and Cambodia including 3 days at the elephant camp (and in the water with the elephants). See for example these:

http://www.zappos.com/salomon-techam...low-igloo-blue

But there are others who make similar like LLBean

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80732...ltisport-shoes

and Lands End (this oxford style or a mary jane style)

http://www.landsend.com/products/wom...oes/id_263423#

I like mine with drawstring rather than tie shoe laces.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Laurie_Ann for the helpful links!!