Shipping souveniers from Thailand

Dec 28th, 1999, 12:14 PM
DC Peter

Shipping souveniers from Thailand

We're traveling to Bangkok and Phuket in February and plan to buy some decorative items and souveniers on the trip. Any suggestions for a reasonably inexpensive, reliable way to send our purchases home (USA) so we wont have to lug them with us from place to place?

Dec 28th, 1999, 02:31 PM
lynn

Greetings -

I just wanted to make a mention of the shipping office we saw at the Chatachuck Weekend market in Bangkok. We didn't do any shipping ourselves so I can't comment on price but I did see a service out at the weekend market.

If you are looking for decorative items for the home, ceramics, dishes, "antiques" (they are mostly fake but very nice looking, etc., the weekend market is a good place to go. Be prepared, it is very big and can be quite hot and humid.

We didn't go to Phuket. Just spent 10 days in BKK. Great place. The traffic fumes can be a bit much at times but we really loved BKK.

Do you know where you are staying? What are you planning to see? We spent alot of time in BKK so I may be able to help if you have any questions. Please feel free to email me if you wish.

Dec 31st, 1999, 11:57 AM
Carl Lindskog

Just back from 5 days at the Kata Thani Hotel on Kata Noi beach, Phulet. Wonderful spot. Didn't see much in the way of decorative items to buy. The tailoring is one of the best bargains. Recommend Jaspal Tailors just opposite the Hotel. Tell them that Annemarie and Carl sent you. Fine quality and very good prices. They will take care of the shipping.

Jan 26th, 2000, 01:21 PM
clodagh

Just back from Thailand after doing some mega shopping. The shopping unfortunately for us started at the begining of our month long holiday when we were in Chang Mai, the night market was a little too good, our difficulty arose when we started packing and realised we had bought too much so I decided I was shipping our goodies home unfortunatley DHL was going to cost c 200 for approx 15kgs so we had little choice but to carry our purchases to our next port of call which was to Phuket Thankfully the airport has a left luggage facility in the arrivals hall which cost approx 40baht per day per item of luggage so we left our goods there until we were getting our return flight to Bangkok on the way home. Thankfully that worked out fine and allowed us room to do more shopping.
Some people we met in Chang Mai posted their purchases home, the post office in the night market had a packing facility, granted you could possibly be waiting up to 3 months for the items to return home

Jan 27th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Julie

We were in Thailand in Dec/Jan and shipped a box of souvenirs from Chaing Mai. We used Mailboxes Etc. It cost 1400 baht (about $US 38) to ship my box to Portland, Oregon USA. I can't remember the weight, but the box (which I purchased at Mailboxes etc. as well) was about 2ft by 1 ft by 4inches deep. My friend shipped a bigger box and it cost her nearly $100. We still ended up buying an extra bag and carrying a bunch of stuff home on the plane. Thailand really is a shopper's paradise. Have fun.