Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shipping packages home from Luang Prabang? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shipping-packages-home-from-luang-prabang-1673557/)

heymo Nov 4th, 2019 02:53 PM

Shipping packages home from Luang Prabang?

My husband and I are traveling to Cambodia and Laos in February. Trying to find out if any purchases we make can be shipped home from Luang Prabang rather than haul them home with us. I have been trying to search and see if there is a Fed Ex, DHL or equivalent in Luang Prabang but am not having very much luck. Has anyone sent items home from there and if so how did you do it? Thanks in advance.

MmePerdu Nov 4th, 2019 03:08 PM

I've mailed packages home from most countries in Asia and am trying & failing to remember if I did from LP. I remember buying so I suspect I did. Everywhere I used the mail, not private shipping companies, for dozens of boxes & they never failed to arrive. I never used airmail as I was gone for months & it was better if they took longer for that reason & also because it was, as you can imagine, far less expensive to send them by surface mail. As a result I have great faith in the mail services in Asia & if I haven't already wouldn't hesitate to use the Lao P.O.

heymo Nov 4th, 2019 04:29 PM

Thanks for responding. I wasn't sure about just mailing through the post office, but will certainly consider it.

jacketwatch Nov 4th, 2019 04:45 PM

Have you called those companies at US numbers to see if they have facilities where you will be?
As for cost it won’t be cheap. I sent a magazine UPS to Singapore. It cost $40.00.
I also sent a cap and a few t-shirts ( Chicago Cubs World Series souvenirs 2016) to a friend in Kuala Lumpur who so distrusted the Malaysian postal system he asked to have it sent UPS. It cost quite a bit to go to KL from Chicago, well over $100.00 and bear in mind these items were fairly light.
My Singaporean friend also wanted “safe” mailing as he too did not their postal system.
Bottom line is it will be far less to send items via a local postal system but will it be safe? If more developed countries like Malaysia and Singapore have issues about postal safety then logically far less developed countries like Cambodia and Laos could also.
If you are flying biz you are allowed 2 70 lb. bags. If not just pay for an extra bag and bring it yourself.

LAX_Esq Nov 4th, 2019 05:11 PM

A rather old LP thread seems to suggest that DHL is at the post office in LP:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...-luang-prabang

Originally Posted by jacketwatch (Post 17011595)
If you are flying biz you are allowed 2 70 lb. bags. If not just pay for an extra bag and bring it yourself

OP is rather vague, but it's certainly possible that OP isn't going directly home to the US from LP and this isn't just a matter of throwing whatever he's buying into a suitcase and checking it into the airport at LP. Perhaps OP doesn't want to have to pay bag fees several times, haul a bunch of heavy stuff around for several weeks, etc.

MmePerdu Nov 4th, 2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacketwatch (Post 17011595)
. . . Bottom line is it will be far less to send items via a local postal system but will it be safe? If more developed countries like Malaysia and Singapore have issues about postal safety then logically far less developed countries like Cambodia and Laos could also. . .

Since there is no way to prove which countries' mail is "safe" and which aren't, all we have is hearsay and a limited sample in the case of my own experience, I can only repeat my 100% success rate using a number of Asian postal services many times for years, including Malaysia & Singapore (the most expensive I found, btw). I'd use the Lao post but maybe not Cambodia's. I also didn't use Burma's, waited until I got to Singapore which is why I know how expensive it is.

jacketwatch Nov 4th, 2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq (Post 17011603)
A rather old LP thread seems to suggest that DHL is at the post office in LP:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...-luang-prabang

OP is rather vague, but it's certainly possible that OP isn't going directly home to the US from LP and this isn't just a matter of throwing whatever he's buying into a suitcase and checking it into the airport at LP. Perhaps OP doesn't want to have to pay bag fees several times, haul a bunch of heavy stuff around for several weeks, etc.

That’s possible.

crellston Nov 4th, 2019 07:09 PM

It is a few years ago now but we sent some stuff from Vientiane where DHL have an office. I think you will find that UPS, FedEx and DHL all have offices there. I doubt you will find anything in LP unless perhaps there is an agent there. It may be the most famous place in Lak, but it is still just a small town.

jacketwatch Nov 4th, 2019 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by crellston (Post 17011646)
It is a few years ago now but we sent some stuff from Vientiane where DHL have an office. I think you will find that UPS, FedEx and DHL all have offices there. I doubt you will find anything in LP unless perhaps there is an agent there. It may be the most famous place in Lak, but it is still just a small town.

Must have been much costlier but safe and traceable.

heymo Nov 8th, 2019 07:01 AM

Thanks, all. As a photographer my gear weighs so much that I'm constantly looking for other ways to bring items home. I may just pare some things down and bring an extra Pelican case to carry things home in lieu of shipping them. Appreciate all the insight and assistance.

rhkkmk Nov 8th, 2019 11:10 AM

We have shipped small furniture home twice from LP. Expensive for air shipments, but very efficient.