Sheraton laguna grade hotel, phuket

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheraton laguna grade hotel, phuket

HI!

I'm going to phuket with my husband for four nights and we are considering staying at sheraton laguna grande hotel. Has anyone stayed in that hotel?I got mixed feedback on tripadvisor regarding the hotel and thought I could get a more accurate feedback in this forum. thanks!

tates
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 05:20 AM

I have stayed at the Sheraton Laguna in 2002. Its a very nice hotel. The pool is wonderful. It is also located at the laguna complex so there is regular shuttle for you to be able to see the 4 other resorts in the complex.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks borgo, other than the pool anything else nice with the resort?

tates
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 04:28 AM

It depends if you want to spend your time at a resort with other pricey resorts nearby or you are happy with cheaper places. There is such a wide and varied range of accommodation on Phuket and beach areas have their own styles. It also makes a difference if you are happy around such an area in the evenings or you prefer to be in a busier resort area with night markets, shopping and entertainment.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM

We were staying at the Dusit in April snd had a wander through the Sheraton, we felt it looked a quite tired compared with the last time we wandered through 8 years or so before, when we felt it looked great. We were happy we had gone for the Dusit instead.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 08:51 AM

My wife and I stayed in a Garden Villa at the Sheraton, and I have to say I have mixed thoughts on the place. I do believe it is a tired five star hotel now, certainly has a mixed environment. Our villa was large and well furnished but I had to complain several time to try to remove the smell from the bathroom. The Italian restaurant in the Garden was exceptional, but in the same resort some of the others were really ordinary. I found the meandering pool slightly old fashioned, as it passed man made beach pools and “junk food” cafes. The security guard at the rear entrance looked the part in his Wellington boots. On a final high, we organized a barbeque in our room, yes that what it was, and was amazed when a chef and waiter organized the most amazing spread cooked on the balcony and served immaculately. See what I mean, a mixed up resort.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM

We stayed at this hotel in March 2006 and have no complaints about it. We had a large room overlooking the lagoon, comfortable, clean, nicely furnished. Meandering pool was very nice, I wouldn't call the restaurant near it a junk food restaurant, it served lunchtime fare eg noodles, pasta, burgers or salads plus cocktails etc. The Thai restaurant was very good and we ate there a few times (Massaman curry recommended). The beach is lovely although may need to watch out for jellyfish at certain times of the year. There are also restaurants along the beach and you can go to the shops on the resort eg Jim Thompson. Gardens are nice. The Dusit looked OK but was more crowded than the Sheraton. None of the hotels in this area offer a Thai experience, it is all cutoff in a self contained resort.

It was expensive to get a taxi to/from the resort to anywhere and found Phuket in general to be more expensive than other parts of Thailand.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:29 PM

Good day!

I've stayed here two years ago, rooms are huge, but i agree that the area is a bit old.

My suggestion is to book JW Marriott Resort and SPA at Mai Khao, area. It is the best resort I have been to, the rooms are huge! Around 50sqm., they even have two massage mats. There's a pool area, with 2 huge pools (one main one and a private, isolated one on the right side, past another building)This is the better pool.

Many activities are there: you can have yoga sessions, painting, discovery scuba diving.

IT has a long stretch of beach, around 2 to 3 kilometers long.

IT also has a free shuttle from 9am-12 midnight, every hour going to Phuket town or Patong beach.

Definitely the best choice there, a true 5 star resort!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for the reply, It turns out I have no choice of hotel because its the only one offered through my airline mileage redemption. Will make the best out of our stay.

tates