Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shenzhen day trip from Hong Kong yes or no? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shenzhen-day-trip-from-hong-kong-yes-or-no-884843/)

partyon Apr 1st, 2011 08:14 PM

Shenzhen day trip from Hong Kong yes or no?

I am currently visiting a friend in Hong Kong. She and I have never been to Shenzhen. We have both been to HK many times and seen the main sights, she is currently living in HK and I am visiting her. We are debating about going to Shenzhen for a day next week, of course we'd need to apply for visas, so much depends on how quickly we get visas. Is visiting Shenzhen for a day worthwhile, is it safe and easy to get around one there? Any advantage/disadvatage to visiting on a weekday/weekend?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

rkkwan Apr 1st, 2011 08:31 PM

If you're US citizen, it's not worth the US$140 visa fee. If you haven't been to Macau, go there instead.

partyon Apr 1st, 2011 08:46 PM

Thanks rkkwan, I am not a US citizen, thank goodness I cringed when I read your post for the cost of a visa. Just went to Macau yesterday, and that's a great suggestion. We're looking for something to do next week, or we'll just stay put in HK. Is Shenzen worthwhile, it just sounds like a city for shopping. Albeit, it could be an interesting day trip.

partyon Apr 1st, 2011 09:38 PM

Spent sometime online searching for info on visas, not surprisingly I get contradictory information. Does anybody know if the Shenzhen zone visa is still avalble and if I can get this at the border? I can't go to the Chinese consulate today as it is a holiday and will have to wait until Monday and we'd like to arrange our schedule before that. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

rkkwan Apr 1st, 2011 09:48 PM

Not for US citizens. The only way to go to Shenzhen without paying the $140 fees is to join an approved organized tour from HK for Shenzhen. Can't go by yourself without the full visa.

Cicerone Apr 1st, 2011 10:24 PM

I am not a fan of Shenzhen at all; poor quality shopping, fake bags and crowds. The one thing you might go for is the “art village” of Dafen, which is actually somewhat interesting, and a lot more laid back and charming than the rest of the city. You might include the new Dafen Art Museum.

However I can think of a <i>long, long</i> list of things to do in Hong Kong first. (Have you been to the Hong Kong Museum of Art or the Cattle Depot? ) I have lived here more than 10 year and there are still places I have not been yet, so you may want to get out a guidebook and look at places within Hong Kong which you have not seen.

I am not sure of the status of the visa issuance at the border for non-US citizens. The situation seems to change based on current political events. However, if you are a UK citizen, I beleive the cost is US$75 or so, so still pretty steep for a day trip.

Note that this coming Tuesday is a holiday as well, so if you need a visa issued by the PRC consulate, you may have trouble getting it in time. You may also find big crowds going into the PRC on Tuesday, so if you do decide to go to Shenzhen, I would avoid Tuesday.

If you were going to go to the trouble of getting PRC visas, then I would go to Guangzhou over Shenzhen. There are some historical bits left of Guangzhou. Or go up the Pearl River Delta to the area around Kaipíng to see the <i>diaolóu</i> (This may require an overnight stay due to the ferry schedule.)

partyon Apr 1st, 2011 10:42 PM

Thank you, rkkwan and Cicerone.

I'll admit part of the appeal of going to Shenzhen was the simplified visa which I can't get definite answers about. Window on the World appeals to both of us. Granted there are more interesting places to visit in Hong Kong and nearby in China.

I've live here in the past and have visited often, and I agree there are many places to see. Cicerone, I've read many of your helpful threads, I'm sure we'll find something to do.

rkkwan, niether of us are US citizens. One is a Canadian passport holder and one is an Australian with a HKID card.

BTW, we were planning on going next weekend, will definitely be staying in HK on the holiday (Tuesday). Will try to work on this some more.