Shekou From Hong Kong

Jan 28th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Shekou From Hong Kong

We would like to visit the Terracotta warriors, which I understand are in Shekou. Do we need a visa ( we are English)?
How easy is it to do this trip on your own?
Thanks
Jan 31st, 2005, 12:53 AM

It was my understanding that Xian was the only place where terra cotta tomb warriors had been discovered. Having done a web search, I now see that some of the Xian warriors have been moved to an exhibition site in Shekou, which is about an hour or so by boat from Hong Kong and close to Guangzhou. It appears there are only 4 on display. Rather than this trip, you might enjoy seeing the hundreds of warriors in situ in Xian rather than taken out of context in an exhibit; and Xian has lots of other interesting things to see. You can fly to Xian from Hong Kong in a few hours. If you will be in Hong Kong and donít want to go to Xian, I imagine you could take an organized tour to Shekou (there seemed to be a number offered on the web).

As a UK citizen you need a visa to enter the PRC, take a look at the website for the PRC embassy in London at -http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/eng/-. You can get visas in a few days if you are in Hong Kong, my recommendation is to get them before you leave the UK so you can spend time in Hong Kong seeing the city and not waiting at the PRC consulate or spending time in a travel agentís office while they obtain the visa.
Jan 31st, 2005, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Cicerone. I had not realised that there were only 4 warriors there! We might leave it for another trip as we only have three days in Hong Kong, and there is more than enough to do for three days.

Search this Thread