Search

Shangrila vs. Marriot-BKK/ Eagle Resort Tours CM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shangrila vs. Marriot-BKK/ Eagle Resort Tours CM

Hello,

I have never been to Bangkok and have decided between 2 hotels. I will be staying here 3 or 4 nights.

The Marriot looks beautiful for relaxing and staying outdoors. But I am a bit worried about the boat ride to the station as I will be here in mid-oct (Rainy Season).

Shangrila looks very nice but am worried if it will be "stuffy." On one hand I am excited to be in a 5 star place but I don't want to feel uncomfortable wearing flip flops around.

Prices on huahin20 are 94 for the marriot and 144 for the shangrila.

Also-in Chiang Mai I am looking into the EAgle resort 2 day hill tribe trek. They seem to be the most well respected outfit that has more "genuine and respectful" experiences. Am a bit worried about how "rough" this is though. Any recommendations on tours of similar quality but perhaps a bit nicer?

Thanks so much!

Gina
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM

gina---you will not find the sh-la to be stiff or stuffy...but i must say that you might feel a bit outside the norm in flip flops in the evening sitting in the lobby or lounge...you need not dress up but plastic flip flops are pushing the envelope a bit...

the boat ride is easy and quite enjoyable...it is only 12 minutes...it is the highlight of our day quite often...
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:25 AM

Lose the flip flops and yes it won't be a barrel of fun going over on the boat in the rain.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:39 PM

we have been many times in the rain...they have huge clear plastic sides which they drop down and you keep dry...
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 03:47 AM

The Shangrila isn't stuffy but it is impersonal. It is a HUGE hotel -- more like a deluxe American convention hotel than some of the other Bangkok hotels.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:54 AM

gloria---it is huge but i would not consider it to be a "convention type" hotel like the sheraton (ROS) is....

sh-la is a deluxe, lux hotel in every way....i also find that they are very personal in their approach to customers/guests....they do not probably have the guest/worker ratio that the oriental has but neither do they charge standardly over $300 per nite for their basic room....
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 04:57 AM

i should have also added that this is what i like about the marriott...it has just the right degree of lux combined with practical convenience at a very palatable price and is still on the river....it is the perfect place for the family, for singles and/or couples who want a bit of an oasis in the midst of such a fast paced city like bkk....it also offers that wonderful free boat experience everyday on the river which is so much a part of everyday bkk life...
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:08 AM

I have stayed at neither but have visited both. If I were to pick I would go with the Marriott. Mid October should not be that rainy.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM

Marriott delivers great value for the money. Personally anything over #200/night in BKK and the law of deminishing returns applies- the value prop goes way down.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 05:13 AM

as always gloria has the best choices
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 09:04 AM

I have a question along the same line as Angelgina. I see that Angelgina has a big price differential ($50) using huahin20. My wife and I are planning a 12 day trip to Thailand for late November. We hope to splurge for our last night, and have narrowed the choices to Shanrgi-La and the Marriott as well. (We would love the Oriental, but I don' know if the $316 per night is worth it). We have a VISA card that rewards points, which equals $150 (Canadian) credit, and the travel desk will book the hotels for us. My question is, if the Shangri-La and the Marriott were the SAME cost, which would you choose: (1) Marriott for $40 canadian, (2) Shangri-La for $75 CDN or would you take option (3) which is use the points, and then spend $200 CDN out of pocket for the Oriental? To note: we arrive in Bangkok at 8am from Siem Reap and do not fly out for about 40 hours later (midnight) the next day. (Do you think one hotel vs. another will allow us to maximize the time at their facility?)
Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long-winded post!
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Am leaning towards the marriot . . does the boat run 24 hrs?

thanks!

gina
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:47 PM

no the boat runs from 6AM to 11 or 12 PM....taxis are easy at nite..