Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   shangri la special (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shangri-la-special-502923/)

Jim0884 Feb 11th, 2005 05:22 AM

shangri la special

just got a promotion from Amex, where you get one free night with two nights paid at any Shangri La. Not bad. BUT in other news -- if you are a Golden Circle member, not so good news: seems they have changed the free breakfast benefit; now you get the buffet, but for half price.

Lyndie Feb 11th, 2005 04:58 PM

Hi Jim-what rate per night did you pay?

rhkkmk Feb 11th, 2005 05:45 PM

i get about 4 pieces of mail per day from amex, but have not had this one...where did you see it??

Jim0884 Feb 12th, 2005 04:58 AM

hi -- This mail seemed to come directly from Shangri La...but had the AMEX logo all over it too. They offered me US 195 per night (april) for 2 nights, with the third free. So works out to $130/night.

Lyndie Feb 12th, 2005 07:24 PM

Tks Jim-not cheap enough for me!

rhkkmk Feb 12th, 2005 08:01 PM

i can't find anything on their site so maybe it was a targeted mailing...

Jim0884 Feb 12th, 2005 08:04 PM

call them at 866-565-5050 and ask for the 3 nights for 2 deal....

tnnc Feb 20th, 2005 05:07 PM

Jim- Did that price ($130 a night with the 3 nights for 2) include taxes and breakfast? Also, what kind of room is it?

Jim0884 Feb 21st, 2005 06:07 AM

hi
that price didn't include taxes nor breakfast...and i think it's an executive river view room. so it's a good deal, but you still may do better/about the same via other web sites...i'd check around

Walter_Walltotti Feb 21st, 2005 08:45 AM

Apparantly, the review of the benefits of the Golden Circle is as a result of a questionairre that many of us completed. I think the new scheme is p##s poor for those who stay less than 20 nights a year at anything other than the full rate.

I thought the Free Breakfast offer at the Shangri La was a great vote swinger when selecting a good hotel in a city. I'm not convinced that the new package will attract me nearly as much. I fail to see any real benefits to anyone who stays less than 20 nights a year in one of their hotels. For classic members- the free breakfasts have gone, the separate check in area has gone, the suite upgrades are now no longer all at $25 but start at $39 and rise steeply in some of the locations (and are very limited in availability). They say the Frequent Flyer miles are more generous but whenever I have tried to claim them in the past they tell me I'm not paying the correct rate and therefore cannot be credited them. Other hotel groups may offer less Frequent Flyer miles but let you claim them even on discount rates. I find it hard to believe that the survey returned a "ditch the free breakfast" vote - seems like a cheaply disguised cost cutting exercise.

If any Classic Golden Circle members have found any real improvements I'd be interested to know.