Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shangri-la or Oriental for first or last hotel in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shangri-la-or-oriental-for-first-or-last-hotel-in-bangkok-581550/)

AprilA Jan 14th, 2006 08:17 AM

Shangri-la or Oriental for first or last hotel in Bangkok?

Hello again! I am finalizing my Thailand details for the middle of April. We are going to stay in Bangkok for 2 nights when we get there then to Phuket for 3 nights then back to Bangkok for 3 nights before heading home. This is for myself and my 13 year old daughter for spring break. I want to stay at the Shangri-la and the Oriental (I think). I am planning on staying at one for the first 2 nights and the other for the last 3 nights. My question is you opinion on which one first.

We will not get to BKK until 11pm so the 1st night is just sleep. 1st day will be a little down relax time (pool) and maybe 3-4 hours sightseeing, a nice dinner and possibly even a dinner show. Knowing my daughter she will want at least an hour or two that night to check out some night shopping (just trinkets,souveniers,tee-shirts etc.) The last 3 days we are back in Bangkok we plan on doing a lot of sightseeing and would like to take a day trip by river to Ayathura(SP?) Also nice dinner and lots of shopping. I want your opinions on which hotel I should stay in first and/or last.

Thanks,
April

simpsonc510 Jan 14th, 2006 09:11 AM

April
The choice is really up to you, as they are located side by side. I know you've pretty much made up your mind already, but if it were me, and I really wanted to shop, I'd stay somewhere close to the shopping area for the last 3 nights, and do the relaxing along the river when I first arrive in the city. (just my opinion)

Hotels that are close to the shopping would include the Patumwan Princess, Siam Novotel, Four Seasons, Erewan Hyatt, Intercontinental, just to name a few, and in a variety of price ranges. I've stayed at the Intercontinental and could recommend that one in a heartbeat.

Carol

Kathie Jan 14th, 2006 11:33 AM

I would opt to stay at the Oriental when you have the most time to enjoy it. Thus, it looks to me like it makes the most sense to stay at the Oriental on your way back.

sfsoma99 Jan 14th, 2006 11:44 AM

you should consider The Sukothai. This is a great hotel.

rhkkmk Jan 14th, 2006 05:24 PM

the sh-la has the better pool so i would stay there first, but it is also the nearest to the sky train for getting around....

they are really not side by side but they are not far apart...maybe a 10 minute walk or less...

you daughter might enjoy another hotel however...may i suggest my usual favorite the marriott resort and spa....less expensive by nearly 30% from the sh-la and 75% from the oriental...this would be a good first stop and then the oriental for the last nites...imo....

may i also suggest the peninsula as a place that would be perfect for both first and last stops....fabulous pool for relaxing, cheaper than oriental 9about equal to sh-la), quieter and still easy access to the skytrain (5 minute boat ride)....it would be my pick over both of your choices and the marriott as an alternative...vist the other two and have a meal but stay at my suggestions....

AprilA Jan 15th, 2006 08:53 AM

How often do the shuttle boats run from the Marriott and from the Peninsula. I was just looking at the map and trying to be convienent. Also I had heard the best Thai dance program around was at the Oriental so I was thinking it would be convienent.
As far as rates go the Shangri-la is cheaper for the time I am going by $20 a night over the Marriott and the Oriental is only $50 dollars more than the Marriott and the same as the Peninsula. I just really want the best view (come to think of it that might be the Peninsula) with convienent location to transportation.
I so appreciate all you help.
Thank again, April

Kathie Jan 15th, 2006 10:07 AM

April, those are pretty unusual rates. The Oriental is only $50 more than the Marriott?? Typically, the Marriott is the least expensive of the group, at about US$120. The Oriental normally runs over US$300. DOomake sure you are looking at rates for the Marriott Resort and Spa not the JW Marriott. The Shangri-La is typically between those two in price, as is the Pen. What booking site are you looking at?

rhkkmk Jan 15th, 2006 07:37 PM

i agree with kathie...

the marriott boats runs in each direction every 15 minutes and is prompt....all day

the penn boats run very frequently...they have 3 different route...to river city once per hour....to the skytrain almost continually...and to their mini spot across the river as needed....you never wait more than about 5 minutes for the next boat....the pier is manned with a guard with a walkie talkie...

rhkkmk Jan 15th, 2006 07:38 PM

where did you get those rate...??

hypatia Jan 15th, 2006 08:03 PM

I have been looking also at the rates and I can never find the marriot for less than 170..well 146 for a double bed come-on rate..do tell

AprilA Jan 16th, 2006 07:52 AM

The rate on the Peninsula site itself is 190 US dollars per night including breakfast for April 15 and 16th. The rate for the Oriental for April 20-23 is $209. The Marriott Resort and Spa was $150 (again all of these on the individual website of the hotel, no middle-man. I do understand April is supposedly the hottest month and probably less touristed so I assume these lower rates are because of that. The rate at the Shangri-la was $130 about, I quit looking at it and decided to go with the Peninsula and Oriental I think.

My daugher is dead set on the Oriental at least once because of all she has read about it. (She recently did a power-point presentation in her social studies class on Luxury Hotels of Asia)(I think she purposely picked this project since she knew I was planning this trip, I was just a little surprised the teacher agreed to the project but she got a 100 as a grade!)

My plan now is Peninsula at $190/night including breakfast for 2 nights then off the Phuket for 3 nights (where I got a steal at Katathani) then back to Bangkok for 3 nights at the Oriental for $209/night.

Ok, everyone give me your opinions, I really trust the Fodorites!!

Thanks for all your advice!!
April

AprilA Jan 16th, 2006 07:55 AM

One other thing I should mention is the rate is for the cheapest room available but I figure at places like these that should still be GREAT.
I am usually happy in a 2-3 star and don't mind on occasion to stay at the Motel 6!
April

simpsonc510 Jan 16th, 2006 08:05 AM

April,

ALL rooms at the Peninsula overlook the river and have fantastic views. I'm not sure about views from Oriental, but our experience was that it was not quite as good as the Pen. We had one of the bi-level rooms in the garden wing. Interesting design. We've not stayed in the River wing.

I understand your daughter wanting to stay at top-notch hotels and you are making the right choices. (I'd still be closer to shopping though, if that is what you really want to do those last few days... but that's just my humble opinion)... You will enjoy the two hotels you've selected. No doubt at all!!!

I'm tickeled that you will be staying at the Katathani on Phuket. It's a really nice resort. Are you, by any chance, in a junior suite?

I've posted more photos (and better organized than they were) on my web site at cjscollection. Just click on the "Photo Gallery" link that you see on the left side of the main page, and you'll find 5 albums to view. The one called "Asia" has some very nice Thailand photos, including Katathani. The one called "Miscellaneous" has rooms in the Pen and Oriental as well as other apartment photos and also food. It's an interesting mix. Anyway, have a look if you want to see where you are going. Hope you enjoy them.

I'm leaving for BKK at 5:30 in the am tomorrow. It's a 3 hour drive to Ohare and we are arriving at rush hour time so it's best to get an early start.

Carol

simpsonc510 Jan 16th, 2006 08:21 AM

April
Just thought of one more thing. Did you happen to pre-book transportation from Phuket airport down to the Katathani? It's not free, but it's nice to have it pre-arranged when you arrive (with the resort). The drive is about 45 minutes, mostly through the interior of the island.
Carol

AprilA Jan 16th, 2006 09:23 AM

Hi Carol, I did get the free transfers along with breakfast daily and 1 dinner at Fishermans Wharf for both of us included in the package. I only book the regular room but I am considering upgrading to the Jr Suite since it is *right on the ocean*. Just have not decided for sure.
Have a WONDERFUL trip,
Thanks, April

AprilA Jan 16th, 2006 09:26 AM

I guess I should have clarified. Because of the shoulder season, Katathani is offering a package with free transfers, breakfast daily and the dinner at Fishermans Wharf for $80/night including taxes!! I thought that was incredible!
Again, thanks, April

Guenmai Jan 17th, 2006 05:29 PM

I got the Orient for under $200. for a standard in Aug 2005...Amexp Platinum Travel. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Jan 17th, 2006 06:36 PM

guen--key there is august i think....but under $200 is amazing...

april--look at www.huahin.20m.com

don't forget the tax and service are 17.7% on top of these regular prices and breakfast can be $12-25 each, if not included...

Bella_Bluebell Jan 18th, 2006 01:36 AM

Ooo - thanks for the tip Guenmai. We are visiting August 2006 so will try our Amex Centurion service. Hadn't thought of that - Thanks!

AprilA Jan 18th, 2006 02:20 AM

rhkkmk,
What is that site? I can't bring it up!! I have not made my reservations yet, I'm still debating. If it is a good deal, I want it!!
Thanks,April