Shangri La or a Sukhumvit hotel

Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Shangri La or a Sukhumvit hotel

Last time in Thailand was 15 yrs ago, backpacking solo. Now I'm headed back with my wife and three kids, so I think we'll stay someplace different this time . I prefer something modern, with a good pool, easy access to transportation and in an area with restaurants nearby and a night market would be a plus. Not interested in pizzas, etc .... we'll be eating Thai but probably not at the hotel.

So ... I narrowed the areas down to the river or Sukhumvit. The hotels I'm looking at are Shangri-La, Sheraton Grande, Park Plaza or Westin Grande. I don't want to be on the left bank which rules out Marriott, Millenium and Pen. Looks like Shang is in a slightly better location for tranportation (boat + skytrain), but Sukhumvit has more street activity. What's the area around the Shang like? Are there good local restaurants (nothing fancy, we have 3 young kids) or street markets? I know there's lots around Sukhumvit but not familiar with Shang's location.

On transportation,if we stay in Sukhumvit, how do we get to Wat Pho or Grand Palace? Skytrain to Saphan Taksin (ie, where the Shang is) and then boat? Or is there a better way to get there? Of the 3 Sukhumvit hotels, is there an obvious first choice?

I know this crowd prefers the river and therefore probably Shangri La ... but any thoughts on the questions above would be appreciated!

Thanks
Nov 23rd, 2009, 05:18 AM

Not everyone in this crowd prefers the river... lol. I always stay in the Sukhumvit area. I have "settled" into an apartment hotel for the last two years' worth of trips to Bangkok.

From Sukhumvit, you have it exactly right, regarding directions to Wat Pho and Grand Palace, etc.

Sukhumvit has plenty of night markets, inexpensive eating places, and activity.

My own choice (although I've stayed at NONE of your Suk hotel choices) would be Sheraton... due to location, attached to the skytrain.

Have fun planning!

Carol
Nov 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM

>>>The hotels I'm looking at are Shangri-La, Sheraton Grande, Park Plaza or Westin Grande.<<<

Greetings NY,

Haven't stayed at the Park Plaza, but the other three will always be all-time cherished Bangkok business travel specials. (Have never been wild about the WGS pool.) If so inclined, check out my heartfelt reviews of the SL and SGS on this site. (I'll eventually get around to a 'PG-13' review of the WGS.)

First thought is go with balcony lodging at the SL's Krungthep Wing. As of ~ 10 days back, still the same great staff and sweet lap pool. (But kindly stay away from my cherished business stay room : it's rather quiet.)

Have fun in the City of Angels, and if flying with family, check out those Singapore Air fares. 'Greatest show in the sky', indeed.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Nov 23rd, 2009, 06:06 AM

I have stayed in both areas but like the Shangri La's location better and would recommend staying there. The location on the river is special, particularly if you choose the Krungthep Wing which is the closest part of the hotel to Taksin Pier and the skytrain. You and the kids also get a free breakfast in the Krungthep Wing lounge. There are two or three good Thai restaurants (Harmonique, Tongue Thai and the Gallery) which are a short taxi ride or a long walk away. Of course, all the Sukhumvit area restaurants are easily accessible by skytrain.

The area around the Shang is nothing special but there is an interesting street market one skytrain stop from the hotel.

Getting to and from the Grand Palace or Wat Pho from Sukhumvit is a bit of an ordeal since you have to change trains at Siam, however it is the best way to get there - figure about 30 or 40 minutes each way on the skytrain. I have not stayed in any of the Suk hotels but would agree with Carol on the location of the Sheraton.

Search this Thread