Hotel recommendation in Bangkok for 4 adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Bangkok for 3 nights in mid November.

I read that the "preferred" place is stay is the Sukhumvit area. We are not into malls or bars; we likelittle shops, restaurents .... We don't mind bakpack areas or the area being a little "seedy" as long as it is not so noisy and rowdy that it becomes unsafe.

The problem is finding a hotel which can take 4 adults in a suite or a 2 bedroom apartment. I have done some research .. the Little Bangkok Inn came up with a suite that can accomodate 4 adults (although it may be a little out-of-the-way). The Chatrium Suite Hotel is another that has a 2-bedroom suite, but then after I read the latest comments about Chatirum (regarding how the reviews in Tripadvisor may not be 'genuine" and that the location is too far away ... gives me second thoughts). Our budget for a place for 4 adult is under US$280 a night.

Any recommendations please? thank you.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:21 AM

My preferred place to stay in Bangkok is along the river. It sounds like you'd be best off in a serviced apartment. Check into Centerpoint Silom, located near the river and skytrain. The Chatrium doesn't have places walk-able from it, but is on the river. I wouldn't rule it our entirely. It has a shuttle boat to take you to the skytrain/water taxi pier which make hundreds of little shops and restaurants a quick trip away...

Old Bangkok Inn should be considered. One of the regulars here stayed there and really enjoyed it.

The Sheraton Royal Orchid has 2 bedroom suites. I don't know your dates, but if you have starwood points it may be within your price range (I often use points for 50% off rack rate).
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:57 AM

Also look into the Somerset Suan Parkview (it has a new name, but should come up in a search for above name) apartment hotel which is in the Sukhumvit/Ploenchit area of the city. Not seedy in any way. A good safe area at anytime of the day or night.

I'm curious to know what search you did to find that the "best place" would be in the Sukhumvit area... around here, I think the river people outnumber those of us who prefer Sukhumvit area.

Carol
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM

We stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. They have rooms with 2 double beds and allowed 4 /room. We loved the river view and all rooms have river view.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 08:29 AM

I am in your boat so I feel for you!!! Gardkarlsen, who frequents this forum, did a trip report review on the Lebua State Towers in which he and his wife and another couple stayed at the Lebua State Tower, which apparently has some pros and cons. http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm

We've decided against it for various reason but it may be of some interest to you.

Also, You can get a fully refundable reservation right now for hr Lebua or the Chatrium right now on expedia for discounted rates.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM

Hi John: I wonder if you are making your task unnecessarily difficult.

Four adults in a room. Why? Yup, you can get rooms with two double beds. But why not just get two adjoining double rooms?

Or do you like listening to your travel companions in the bathroom? Is there something about the four person queue to use the shower in the morning that appeals? Do you want to spend your time in BKK waiting for each person to ablute in turn each morning?

I don't know your personal situation - maybe you are a family that can do that. Me? I like a bit of privacy.

Banyan Tree has perfectly fine rooms with a connecting door, for example. Each has a separate bedroom and living room. Just open the door between the adjoining rooms and you can have all the buddy fun you want without errr... the bathroom situation.

But to find these connecting door places you'll probably have to deal direct with the hotels. Just e them and ask. I'm not sure the web-booking sites give you that info.

Hopefully this gives you more options.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 10:37 AM

i too would suggest centre point silom or any of the other centre points...

marriott mayfair also has 2 bedroom units and so does the conrad residences----these are both very very nice and in great locations..
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Dogster: I wasn't looking for a room that can sleep 4 adults - I am looking for more of a suite (with a separate bedroom and perhaps a second double bed in the living room) or a 2-bedroom service apartment. The reason being that I have to make this little business side-trip to Bangkok on our November Vietnam travel, and to persuade the other couple to come along I am offering to pay for the accomodation. A 2-bedroom suite is definitely cheaper than paying for 2 separate rooms. It's also easier to claim on my business expense (bill for 1 suite/apartment unit, rather than 2 rooms)

Here are some of my investigations ..

The Sheraton Orchid: if you go to the (Starwood) hotel site, the only room that is bookable when you put in "4 persons" is the Presidential Suite that costs 49400 baht (~US$1500) per night.

The Lebua Hotel's 2-bedroom apartment costs US$497 per night (more than my target of $280 per night)

The Center Point Silom has 2 bedroom suites. But like many service apartments in Bangkok, a 2-bedroom suite consists of one king bed in the 1st bedroom, and 1 single bed in the 2nd bedroom. So for 4 people you need a 3-bedroom suite. The Center Point at Sukhumvit does have a 3-bedroom suite at US$273 a night which is about the right price.

The Somerset Suan Parkview's 2 bedroom suite only has 1 King and 1 Single bed. Their 3-bedroom (1 King and 2 Queens) price is very reasonable at 9080 baht (~US$245)/night.

The Old Bangkok Inn is still on my list, but I have also found the Fraser Suites Sukhumvit

http://bangkok-sukhumvit.frasershospitality.com/

and the Mariott Sathom Vista, which has 2 bedroom suites (1 King and 2 Single beds). I should check also the Mariott Mayfair (as suggested by rhkkmk).

So for now I have enough on my list to make a final decision. thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM

i think you will find centre point is a king bed and 2 twins or a double and some even may be 2 kings... we have not stayed there but have had a tour of it... telephone them and ask...

marriott will be 2 rooms for two... the sathorn one is new, not sure if it is a conversion however....mayfair is a better location... CP has a bldg across the street from mayfair... CP wireless is very nice too as is their new grand hotel...

check out conrad too

look on www.agoda.com
www.asiarooms.com
www.sawadee.com

best deals all inclusive
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:46 AM

You may have to call the Sheraton Royal Orchid. The starwood site only lists a small number of the room types available. You may also want a one bedroom suite with an adjoining regular room at the Sheraton. I know a number of families that have booked this arrangement.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:31 AM

Dogster- Not to mention if someone feels a little horny one night.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM

johnmango, I've been researching hotels for Bangkok on www.tripadvisor.com there is a wealth of info on their Asia site if you haven't already done so you may want to give them a try.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

As rhkkmk said the Centre Pointe Silom 2 bedroom has two king size beds. It is also very large at 183sqm and has 2 bathrooms. And it is in a perfect location.

The okd Bangkok Innn's 2 bedroom (1 upstaits and 1 down) is only 48sqm. I would think cramped for 4 adults.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM

lol mang: well, gosh - that hadn't even crossed my mind.

I've always thought of Fodor's as a rumpy-pumpy-free zone, only enlivened by dogster's hideous descriptions of 'The Mumbai Tongue'. You may have missed this, mang. For your delectation:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...llo-mumbai.cfm
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM

I use the Centrepoints most trips now - usually the one at Langsuan which is fairly convenient to most things. Just stayed last July in a 2 bed apartment - you need to make sure you get the larger one (106sqm) as it would be fine for 4 - 2 bed (queen or king) and 2 bath. Very comfortable. They have a smaller one which we have stayed in by default as we wanted a 1 bed and they unfortunately "Upgraded" us- this was only 85sqm and had 2 queen beds but only one bath. Also small lounge as it was really a 1 bed apartment with the extra bedroom put it.

You should be able to get a decent price but November is high season so it will be a bit more than we paid - In July for a 7 night stay it was only US$110 a really bargain. Last week was still only $130 US per night from hotelclub and about that direct from the hotel but only til October. Look at www.atsiam.com who generally have good rates for these properties. I booked this year through www.hotelclub.net and got a bargain - the 2 bed was cheaper than the 1 but have just looked and they aren't doing centrepoints just now - I suspect its just that changeover times for rates - usually they change in September and October - you will probably find the same at At Siam. Try emailing them to see what they have.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM

lmao, Dogster. Good stuff.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everything! It is most valuable to get recommendations from fellow Fodorites because sometimes it's hard to get detailed information using the hotel websites

Yes I do use the Tripadvisor, especially the hotel reviews, and do know that one has to read them with some suspicions because you never can be sure who wrote them. I usually go with the general remarks rather (locations, cleanliness, service etc.) than some specific incidents which happened to some reviewers.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM

Hi again Johnmango - I came across these apartments just now and thought they might suit your purpose.

http://rajprasong-bangkok.anantara.c...l/default.aspx

Part of the anantara chain which is usually good and they have some good opening prices but may not cover the time you are there. They are in Rajdamri Road near Lumpinee
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM

i find tyhe location of the bkk inn too out of the way...
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM

another vote for centrepoint silom. they greeted us with a huge smile each day... literally saluted us at the elevators... have a department store below... decent breakfasts...a small pool... and best of all, a washing machine in the room!!! we had a river view even though we did not request one. i believe the summer rate we paid was $41 for 2 adults (on agoda) . because they are a long-stay, we did not expect to have a helpful staff in the lobby, but they were great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -