Shanghai, Yanshou, Bejing and...?

Aug 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Shanghai, Yanshou, Bejing and...?

Hi!

Here is our itinerary: wondering how many nights to spend in Bejing, and if we should spend the remaining nights in another place (Chengdu?)...I would love recommendations!

Is there anything better than Chengdu near Bejing? We could head there, and then take a little jaunt somewhere else for a night or two.

Here is where we are spending our nights so far:

9/15 Leave U.S.
9/16(arrive 2:00pm), 17, 18 Shanghai
9/19 Guilin
9/20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Yangshou

9/25
9/26
9/27
9/28
9/29

9/30 overnight from Bejing to Shanghai
10/1 Shanghai
10/2 Back to US @ 4:45 PM

Thanks a ton!
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Jiu Zhai Gou is very scenic, an hour by air from Chengdu. Then there's Lijiang.
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

ooops! I meant Chengde near Bejing and Chengdu (Leshan)
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:06 AM

Beijing is a big city and all the sights take long time to visit. Therefore 4-5 nights is not too much for Beijing.

Chengde is very interesting and is worth an overnight trip.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM

I am local of Yangshuo, suggested itinerary for your reference:
9/19, City tour, including Elephant Hill, Yao Mountain, Reed Flute Cave.
9/20, Li River Cruise
9/21, Visit Yulong River and do bamboo rafting, Moon Hill.
9/22, Xingping and Fuli old town.
9/23, take boat to Liugong village downstream of yangshuo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

No No No No No No!!!!!!!!! You have to go to Xian to see the Terra-cotta army in the Mausoleum of Qin Shihuang. To go to China and not see this spectacular exhibit would be a major mistake. It is a very short plane ride to Xian from Bejing.

I hated Yangsho, but did enjoy my boat ride on the Li River from Guilin.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM

I agree you have to see Xian.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:56 AM

Agree on the Terracotta Warriors in Xian...Also the Forbidden City (do the audio tour and allow about 3-4 hours if you are a history buff...there are tables in the garden for picnicing, so plan ahead), shopping (bargains galore and fun if you are a shopper, a bore if you're not....silk, cashmere, watches, clothing, freshwater pearls, etc. Only pay about 1/3 of the original price...keep insisting on the "friend" price)and Chinese food (check out Din Tai Fung and Bellagio both Chinese food)in Beijing. Hong Kong and Shanghai (Shanghai museum is wonderful)if you like a cosmopolitan, hot night life sort of city.

Also, if you like hiking and incredible vistas, do the Great Wall at Simitai. This will entail either hiring a car (insist on a "travel agency car" about $200 US over a "hotel car" about $300 US)or taking a tour bus. This will cover the whole day (it's about 2 hours from Beijing one way and a good 2-3 hours hiking. Pack a simple lunch to enjoy with the view) and the driver will wait. If you want to get rid of the little ladies who will follow you up the mountain just say "Boo how" (that means "Not good") and seems to be the best way to get some peace. For about $5 US, do the zip line on the way down, quite a kick!!!!
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

maybe too late for this advice, but...
you can fly into Shanghai and fly home from Beijing - no need to return to Shanghai - for the same price!!! saves you at lease a day.
Aug 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Jadeleo -

How much are your services? Should we have a guide for your recommended activities, or can some of them be on our own? Also, what about the light show at night - should we buy tickets? Can we buy them when we arrive?

Do you like the Li River Retreat or Yangshou Mtn Retreat better?

After 5 nights in we leave Yangshou, we have three free nights until we fly to Beijing. There are several options I am thinking about:

1. We could visit Longshen and Shanjiang as well.

2. I have also heard good things about Diping, Zhaoxing, Congjian, Basha,Kaili, Xijang, Langde and Matang.

Which are your favorites? If we visited some of these towns, should we fly to Beijing from Guilin or Guiyang? Can you reccommend places to stay in the towns you like most?

I'd love to hear from others as well!

Thank you so very much for your advice.
Aug 26th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Dear Marginal,

I was really interested to read that you hated Yangshuo. In planning my upcoming trip, I feel like a heathen for being on the fence about whether or not to go there, given how most people say it's wonderful and shouldn't be missed. So if you wouldn't mind, what exactly didn't you like? Thanks...

p.s. I'm also a heathen for not visiting Xian, but that's another story
Aug 26th, 2007, 05:42 AM

The scenery around Guilin is indeed very beautiful, but unless you want to chill out with the backpackers there's absolutely no reason to spend that much time in Yangshuo. (And jadeleo has to be careful of the no advertising rule, bobbietilkens.)

I too would recommend Xi'an, but not just for the Terracotta Warriors, there are a number of other worthwhile sights in the town itself (do a search on this board), and it is a good place to just wander round the back streets (and not only in the Muslim quarter). The weather in Chengdu can be pretty gloomy, Kunming is likely to have better weather and is a base for reaching Dali and Lijiang.