Shanghai vacation???

May 11th, 2000, 09:25 AM
Sue

Shanghai vacation???

I am thinking of a trip to Shanghai in late November for about 11 days..is this too long? I have been to Bangkok, Beijing and Hong Kong. Will I be disappointed in Shanghai as far as seeing the Orient? Would I be better off planning a trip to Singapore?

May 11th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Emily

In my opinion, 11 days is much too long to spend in Shanghai -- 3 days would be quite enough time to see what there is to be seen. However, Shanghai is only a short train trip away from Hangzhou and Suzhou. You could spend an additional 2-3 days in each of those cities, as well.

May 13th, 2000, 06:05 AM
Ricky

I spent 3 days in Shanghai last October. That's enough for Shanghai. Instead, I spent 5 days in Hangzhou and 2 days in Suzhou. Hangzhou XiWu is so beautiful and relax. If you have 11 days, I strongly suggest the trip to Suzhou and Hangzhou. Probably one more side trip, like Nanjing or Wuzi.
Email me if you need info of Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou.

Jun 21st, 2000, 04:35 PM
Tee

Just returned from 2 weeks in China on business.

I spent some time in Shanghai, and I agree that 3 days is plenty of time.

It is a more westernized city than most Chinese centres, and the river is nice, but really it's just a city.

The trip to Nanjing was very nice, I agree.

Wuxi had A LOT of mosquitos, but this is June, not November, so you'll probably do well.

I think that Bangkok, Beijing and HK all have better shopping, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

I wouldn't say ditch the whole thing in favour of Singapore (although their new airport terminal is beautiful!), but I would (again), strongly recommend side trips, using Shanghai as a base.

Enjoy.

Search this Thread