Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shanghai Jia Jia Soup & Xiao Yang Fried Dumplings Branches (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shanghai-jia-jia-soup-and-xiao-yang-fried-dumplings-branches-935126/)

Shanghainese May 13th, 2012 09:34 PM

Shanghai Jia Jia Soup & Xiao Yang Fried Dumplings Branches

Don't dispair anymore when you see the long lines outside the famous Shanghai Jia Jia Soup Dumplings and Xiao Yang Pan Fried Dumplings' original restaurants, each now have branches that are not as crowded, bigger/brighter/cleaner and just as tasty dumplings.

Jia Jia has branches at 179 South Xi Zhang Road, 777 South Zhong Shang Road nad 62 Li Yuan Road, none of them far from the original one.

Xiao Yang has over a dozen branches with half of them in residential areas, 702 East Nanjing Road (in the No. 1 Food Stuff Department Store, a feast for the senses itself), 488 Zhejiang Road are very near the People's Square and easy for travelers to find.

Enjoy!

kmkrnn May 14th, 2012 05:13 AM

thanks for the info

hawaiiantraveler May 14th, 2012 06:27 AM

Shanghainese,

Are you in Shanghai now? Are the Xiaolongbao better than the ones at the Shanghai House on Balboa? ;)
What else is happening there? Anything new since your last time there. We will finally be there in Oct so we were hoping for a few "live" spinets or two,lol

Aloha!

Shanghainese May 14th, 2012 09:29 PM

Aloha, HT:

Yes, I'm in Shanghai taking care of my mom who turns 101 end of this month, returning home next month. Will you be in SF before that? As to xiaolongbao, remember Shanghai (or nearby Nanxiang) is the birthplace, and takes the quality to the next level; and there is huge competition between hundreds of eateries.

I don't get out much and eat restaurant-delivered food, but learn a lot from reading 3-5 chinese newspapers/magazines and watching TV daily. I'll try to write my observations after I get home.

Mahalo!

hawaiiantraveler May 15th, 2012 02:15 PM

Wow 101, how blessed....there is longevity in your genes.

Actually leaving for SF tomorrow for about a week on Linda's summer fashion tour and will have to be satisfied with the dumplings at the Shanghai House till we get there in October.

Aloha!

dgunbug May 16th, 2012 06:38 PM

Noting this for our China trip in October. Thanks.

rhkkmk May 16th, 2012 08:08 PM

HT, scout it out before we get there, please

mmyk72 May 18th, 2012 12:42 PM

Jia Jia is awesome. Best dumpling - puts Nanxing and DTF to shame. I did line up 1 whole hr when I was there in March. Wish I knew about the other locations, but I'm noting this for next time.

hawaiiantraveler May 20th, 2012 07:15 AM

Bob,will check them out before you arrive in town.

Aloha!

dgunbug May 20th, 2012 02:03 PM

Just curious if either of these restaurants serve vegetarian dumplings.

dgunbug May 20th, 2012 02:04 PM

Or beef or chicken dumplings.

Shanghainese May 21st, 2012 07:53 PM

mmyk72: you are correct, I wouldn't dream of going to Nanxiang or DTF.

dgunbug: No veg or beef dumplings, the chicken ones have pork soup in them, and the crab meat ones are mixed with pork. Let me see if I can find you different style dumplings that are veg or beef.

dgunbug May 22nd, 2012 03:32 AM

Shanghainese - thanks. My husband won't eat anything with pork or shell fish. It makes it difficult for me because I like to eat both of those, but must find foods that he can also eat while traveling.

Shanghainese May 23rd, 2012 12:29 AM

dgunbug: Is dumplings without pork your 1st choice, or restaurants who don't serve pork? I think I'll start with Muslim restaurants, do you have a hotel in mind so I know the area to begin my search?

dgunbug May 24th, 2012 04:34 PM

We haven't gotten as far as finding Hotels yet. I would love a restaurant that has both vegetarian and non vegetarian options as I'd like to sample the more commonly eaten dumplings. I do not share the same dietary restrictions as my husband.

Shanghainese May 24th, 2012 05:57 PM

The commonly eaten shanghai soup dumplings/xiaolongbao or fried dumplings both have pork or pork soup filling, no exceptions in restaurants, that's what makes them tasty.

The Muslim restaurants have boiled dumplings (different style) that are veg, chicken, beef or lamb filled. I found you a good one near People's Square -- Hong Chang Xing 洪长兴 at 288 Guang Xi Road North, Floor 10, refrain from mentioning the word "pork".

dgunbug May 25th, 2012 03:44 AM

Thanks!

barefootbeach Jun 19th, 2012 04:28 PM

This link will lead you to the definitive discussion of dumplings in Shanghai....thanks to another fodorite who turned me on to this blog.

http://jingtheory.com/blog/2011/01/xiaolongbao/