Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Shanghai - is credit card widely accepted there?

Nov 24th, 2000, 11:15 PM
Juliana

I will be going to Shanghai, Hangzhou and Suzhou in Feb. 2001 for 2 weeks. Would appreciate anyone who has been there to let me know whether the restaurants and shops in these places accept credit cards.
Will CITS office accept credit cards if I were to book train tickets or tours from them?
If credit cards are not widely accepted, is USD travellers cheque easily exchangable for REMMINBI?
Thanks for replying ASAP.

Nov 25th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Laurel

Just home from Shanghai, Suzhou and Hangzhou, you will be better off with travelers checks. There is a ATM at the HSBC on the Bund in Shanghai, complete with guard and everything--great! Shops usually take credit cards but you are always wise to carry some cash. Take a lot of $1.00 bills they are very handy for tips, water, film etc. If you are going for two weeks, consider about $150 or $200 in ones. Hotels readily exchange travelers checks with no problems. Have a great time, I would love to go back! Hangzhou is beautiful and West Lake gorgeous. Suzhou is lovely and Shanghai to die for!

Nov 26th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Ricky

Last year when I went to the 3 places, I didn't use credit card at all. Laurel said shops accept credit card. I assume only the big shops accept. Most local, small shops only accept Remminbi. Same for restaurants.

Nov 26th, 2000, 04:46 PM
Laurel

Ricky, you are correct, big shops/stores accept credit cards. Small shops like PRC money (Yuan/RMB's) can't say aout restaurants. Thanks for the correction!

Nov 26th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Jackie

Hi Juliana,

I presently live in Shanghai, and credit cards are not widely accepted. China is basically a cash society. Your best plan of action is traveller's cheques and ATM (you can find ATM's everywhere in Shanghai...but not in any other city). ATM machines give you the best exchange rate, second is travellers cheques. You can cash Traveller's cheques at the hotel you are staying or at any Bank of China. Hotels will allow you to use credit cards as will most western restaurants, and tourist shopping areas. If you want the real bargains, I would recommend having REMMINBI(RMB)and NOT using US dollars. I have found booking day trips is a cash only operation. Train tickets are easy and cheap to book...Shanghai to Suzhou is 12-24 RMB/person, depending on train...that is about $1.50-$3. Domestic airfare in China charges a 4% charge for using credit cards. Enjoy your trip!

Nov 26th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Juliana

I really appreciate all your replies. If RMB functions better than credit card, I guess I will be better off changing my money into RMB here in Singapore.
By the way, would it be possible for you,Jackie,to let me know how much will it cost for a first class tourist seat train ticket from Shanghai to Hangzhou.
Thanks in advance.