Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   SHANGHAI HUANGPU RIVER CRUISE? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shanghai-huangpu-river-cruise-801117/)

ekscrunchy Aug 14th, 2009 11:32 AM

SHANGHAI HUANGPU RIVER CRUISE?

I am doing some advance planning for a brief visit next March. One of my two travel companions (older couple; we have traveled together in the past) is very interested in commercial shipping, river traffic, etc, and I am wondering about the possibility of giving up 3 hours of a short stay to take one of the cruises along the Huangpu.

This is a relevant website, but it appears to be only in Chinese:

http://www.pjrivercruise.com/

More info:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cruise/huangpuriver/

Any comments on these cruises? Many thanks!

ekscrunchy Aug 19th, 2009 10:08 AM

Lack of response suggests that these cruises are not popular....(??)

Johnmango Aug 19th, 2009 04:25 PM

ekscrunchy:

I can help navigate the pyrivercruise website. When you are at the main page, you'll see 5 menu items at the left. The first one is simply the "top menu/page":
- the 2nd menu item is their fleet - different ships, the number of people each boat accomodates (400, 1000 etc.), and the price of renting the boat if you so wish (25,000RMB/hr, 18,000RMB/hr etc)

- the 3rd menu item lists the type of services they provide on demand: such as jazz band, Spanish music, violin concert, fireworks (!) and wedding party etc. etc.

- the 4th menu item lists 3 types of public cruises: the top one is 1-hour cruise, every 1/2 hour from 18:30-21:00hr (basically evening/night cruise), the price (in red) is 85RMB pp. The second type is a 3.5-4hr cruise, once a day from 14:00-17:00hr, 150RMB pp. The 3rd type is a cruise with buffet, Mon-Fri, once/day, boarding 19:00-20:00hr, 100RMB pp for the cruise + 100RMB pp meal

- the 5th menu item with the yellow "new" logo basically talks again about the different ships under the company's banner

- the last menu item (also with the yellow "new" logo, talks about the various types of wedding banquets offered, like 3880RMB per table, a minimum of 23 tables for the banquet etc. etc.

The website also says that you can call their number to book cruise tickets, 1-2 days in advance. They will deliver the tickets to your location in Shanghai and you pay upon ticket delivery.

BTW - I don't work for the cruise company - I just happen to read/speak Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin). Let me know if you need anything else.

rhkkmk Aug 19th, 2009 06:20 PM

give up and come to the boston GTG.....send gpanda next month to check it out for you while he is there...

ekscrunchy Aug 20th, 2009 02:55 AM

John: You are so kind to translate all of that. I KNOW you don't work for the cruise company!

Hmmm--Spanish music? Violin concert?!

It sounds as if these cruises are quite gala events! I bet they would be a blast, if one has a good sense of humor. Probably no narration in English, though. I think one of my friends would like the idea because of his interest in shipping...but I would hat to take away so much time from the city itself since our time will be so limited. I cannot know the number of days we will have until I get my hands on the train schedules for the Shanghai-Hong Kong direct train, which runs only every other day and whose schedule does not seem to be available yet.

Send Panda on the cruise--good idea. What do you think--Dancing salsa with the Chinese ladies in the skimpy bathing suit? What kind of footwear would he wear with the Speedo?
The entire ship--every last passenger and crew member might do a mad lemming-style catapault over the side..

nagiffag Sep 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

We always recommend visitors to take the 45 minute cruise because the longer ones are just more of the same. There's one advertized as going to where the Huangpu meets the Yangtze, but my friend said there's nothing to see along the way and the destination is nothing special.

If you're all fit, you could do the Lupu Bridge Climb which is billed as the second highest bridge climb in the world. It's 367 steps! I think they've closed all the container operations around it but you could watch the river activity, have a different view of Shanghai and see the work on the site of the 2010 World's Fair. The ticket booth/entrance is under the bridge on the Puxi side. We liked it even though we did it in late March and were a little cold. Cost is 80RMB pp

If he's REALLY into shipping you could visit the Yangshan Deep Water Port. I could fact check this but I think it's been the busiest port in the world since 2005. You cross one of the world's longest bridges (32km) to get there. There's a viewing platform to watch port operations and see the gazillion containers, but I don't know if they offer guided tours of anything. It used to be that they only allowed people to get out there via bus because I know we needed a special pass. Oh yes, we have connections. :) I think you can get on the bus by the Lupu or the Donghai bridges. It's pretty cool, but probably not if you're not interested in or knowledgeable about shipping.

Have fun!

ekscrunchy Sep 2nd, 2009 01:45 PM

Excellent info! I will relay all of this info to my friend. I am quite certain that he will wish to partake! He will view the bridge climb as quite the challenge.

Myself, I am not so certain!

Many thanks!

sandiej Sep 3rd, 2009 05:05 AM

We did the 45 minutes cruise this past May. The vessels are quite nice. You can sit inside or out. 45 minutes is sufficient no matter how interested you are in commercial shipping. You do not need to book in advance. When you go to the tower, the boats are around the corner. You must go to the top of tower. That is your best view! A little scary because you can walk out 5 feet on a glass floor!