Shanghai Hotel for Family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which hotel would people recommend in Shanghai with 3 young children?

The Radisson New World
The Royal Meridian
Howard Johnson Plaza

We would like something convenient for walking.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM

We were at the Sofitel right on the pedestrian walkway. Very convenient. Good buffet that kids would like. Hagen Daaz and Kentucky Fried nearby.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM

All 3 hotels plus the Sofitel are in execellent locations for walking, across from People's Square and the Nanjing Dong (east) Road pedestrian walkway. Next step for you is to check what type of room/suite you can get and the rates for the time you are visiting.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

I already got rates for 2 rooms all 3 which were reasonable. Just wanted to know if it was better to be near people's square (Radisson, Royal Maridian) or towards the Bund (Ho Jo).

Also, the Radisson is on top of a subway and shopping complex. Is that crazy noisy? Or great for the kids?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Being at the People's Square or the Bund (riverfront) is a personal choice. Since I don't stay in hotels, from the Fodorites preferences I gather, stay at the Royal Meridien, it has a great indoor pool, and the Radisson is 2 minutes walk away. If you don't feel like walking to and from the Bund, there is a Disney-like shuttle on the pedestrian walkway for approx. US $0.40.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 12:03 AM

Bitte, The Royal Meridian.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Meridien is a fantastic hotel. I think it is better to be on the end closer to the park, but either would be fine. If your budget allows the Meridien there is no contest, in my opinion. Try to get out very early one day (before 8am) to see the activity in the park, and the dancing that takes place on Nanjing Lu right across from the hotel.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM

The area right by People's Park and the Metro station is a great area and in my humble opinion much better than being over by the Bund. I haven't stayed at the Radisson New World, but I think as close to the subway station and Park the better. With 3 kids, you CAN squeeze into a taxi but its nice to have the subway as an option. I recommend the Shanghai City/Transportation Museum (not sure what the name is) because it has a huge diorama of the city that kids might enjoy!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 08:13 PM

We've stayed happily at the New Harbour. A good variety of food, a big water dispenser, a great pool and within walking distance of parks and the Bund.

CanadaKate
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I also stayed at New Harbour Apartments in a 2 bedroom apartment this October for 5 nights. It was clean, comfortable, and a very good price. I didn't bring my kids on this trip, however I would definitely choose this apartment hotel again when I return with them.

The best prices for Chinese hotels always seem to be through booking agencies. I used Travelocity for this reservation, but only because I had missed a lower price on Expedia. For other hotels on my trip I booked through needahotel.com and hostelworld.com

China is the only country I've visited that booking direct through the hotel is your most expensive option.