Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Shanghai air pollution (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/shanghai-air-pollution-1660086/)

Norbert Nov 7th, 2018 02:52 PM

Shanghai air pollution

Should I plan on packing a mask for trip to Shanghai for poor air quality? If so what kind should I shop for? Thank you for your input.

CanadaChinaTraveller Nov 11th, 2018 07:41 AM

Unless you already have a medical condition and plan to live there, there is no use.

HappyTrvlr Nov 11th, 2018 12:11 PM

No mask needed. Our last trip to Shanghai in 2016 was the first time I noticed pollution when driving in from the airport. However, once in the city, I never noticed it at all and have asthma. Beijing had air like pea soup or bad fog on one of my trips there a few years earlier.

traveldawg Nov 17th, 2018 11:17 AM

We were in Shanghai and Beijing in October 2018. Both skies polluted but we never wore a mask. We lucked out in Beijing as it was windy that day and helped to clear the air. Prepare for crowds!

jobin Nov 19th, 2018 02:32 PM

Watch your pocketbook when near other people = all the time.

temppeternh Nov 21st, 2018 07:16 AM

Most certainly. Be prepared. N95 or higher is the only worthwhile grade. Not expensive, and obtainable from Ironmongers/hardware stores in most countries. Also easily available in China but you'd be better to buy at home to ensure quality. Note, though, that to work they must be fitted tightly, and can be uncomfortable. If you are bearded they won't work. Shanghai's seaside location makes the air there generally much better than Beijing's (and far better than certain industrial metropolises) as the muck is blown out to sea (and visible from the plane as you fly in). So there's still plenty of it. See:

Shanghai Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)

peppapig Nov 29th, 2018 06:19 PM

Hello , I am new to this forum. I also live in Shanghai, where I have been living for the last three years.

I have yet used a mask here, but I am always careful about turning my air purifier on – as well as keeping windows closed on “bad” days. These days (December) , it’s quite awful. However, still a long way to go to Beijing (600 in air pollution level, Shanghai is usually at 250 on the worst).

alexiscarter Nov 30th, 2018 10:29 AM

I used mask in Shanghai as I am allergic to air pollution and also I get headache when there's a lot of carbon dioxide near me. As a safety precautions, you should use mask.

peppapig Dec 4th, 2018 10:53 PM

IF you use a mask, make sure to use one that is actually working. 90 % of the stuff sold in the streets of Shanghai are horrible, thin, non-working masks...

senperfect1 Dec 24th, 2018 12:08 AM

I used mask in Shanghai as I am asmatik. I think you should buy one. My friend get sick there because she was without mask. But to be honest, it is very individual :peace: