Tokyo Hotel suggestions?

Search

Tokyo Hotel suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo Hotel suggestions?

We will be arriving at Narita and staying in Tokyo for 3 nights before a cruise out of Osanbashi terminal in Yokohama. We will take the N'EX or the airport shuttle to our hotel and we travel lightly - one wheeled carry on each. But we are two older folks who don't walk long distances very well anymore. We are not big shoppers, but strongly prefer having moderately priced restaurants and pubs nearby.From what I've read, Shinjuko or Shibuya are the areas that make the most sense for us, correct??? (I had been considering Asakusa, but the transportation seems less convenient???)Including taxes, we would like to keep our hotel budget no more than 28,000 ¥ per night - less would be better. Easy access to public transport (including the transportation from Narita) and restaurants are more important than luxury, but we're not into hostels or super-teeny-tiny rooms.

We are still developing what we want to see, but it would include Tsukiji Fish Market (new location), Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building (for the view), Meiji Shrine, Sensoji Temple, time is Asakusa, visit 1-2 gardens, MAYBE the Edo-Tokyo Museum,Suggestions are requested.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 04:38 PM

Check out the area around Asakusa-bashi. It's been a while, but I stayed in a nice business hotel there for about $60/night. Not far from the metro and easy access to some sights. Can't remember the name of the hotel though. Also stayed a night at a hostel near Uguisudani Station -- there are a lot more hotels around there, but just double check as some are love hotels. Still seemed like a nice neighborhood, but I didn't spend much time there.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 05:28 AM

I would say to stay near Shibuya station or Shinjuku station for all the bustling and convenience.
There was a Fodorite who stayed in "Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu" right on top of the Shibuya station and was very happy. (Two years ago? A mother and daughter team.)
I have read posters who stayed in Citadines in Shinjuku.
I myself have stayed in "Keio Plaza Hotel" right on top of the Shinjuku station some 20 years ago. It's OK, a huge hotel.

Use booking.com to look up reviews/rating and hotel prices on your date.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 02:26 AM

Our first trip to Tokyo we stayed at Hotel Century Southern Tower. The location was excellent, right by Shinjuku Station and easy exit from Narita Express. We were able to get a great book in advance deal on the hotel website.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Another good word here for Century Southern Tower in Shinjuku. I liked it so much that I chose to stay there again on a return visit a few years later. I do not know if it still applies, but by reserving it through the Pan Pacific website, one used to get their buffet breakfast thrown in for free (quite good and extensive) at their Tribeks restaurant near the lobby (same room price as hotel direct website).

In any case, you cannot go wrong with Shinjuku or Shibuya locations in my opinion. Do not miss the Meiji shrine next to either.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 05:54 PM
kja

IMO, it really depends on what you want to see and experience while there.

BTW, the Edo-Tokyo Museum is definitely worthwhile, IMO.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Strolling_Adventures
Our first trip to Tokyo we stayed at Hotel Century Southern Tower. The location was excellent, right by Shinjuku Station and easy exit from Narita Express. We were able to get a great book in advance deal on the hotel website.
Ditto, for our first trip we stayed at the same hotel by Shinjuku. Shinkjuku is somewhat terrifying but in a good way, however if you stay here, make sure you research the heck out of which exit you want for the hotel beforehand, it's a VAST station and if you go the wrong way, you can easily add 15-20 minutes inside and similar outside to get back to where you want to be!

I was happy with the choice but the best eating options aren't near that hotel (which I'd say is South East end of station) but more to the North East area of the station.

We have also stayed in Ueno (great for transport and some sites, pretty good for lots of local food options, we didn't love it though but it was a good enough choice), Tokyo Station / Maranouchi (very good for transport and food but felt like an international shopping mall of a neighbourhood, and it wasn't a good choice for me I'm afraid) and Asakusa (we found transport pretty straightforward, great local food options, especially on the most recent visit compared to the first, a lot of affordable hotels and lovely cultural area to stay in).

For Asakusa, again, research which of the stops is the relevant one for airport trains and local metro, and make sure you pick a hotel close by, and know which exit to use from the station. On our last trip we stayed in Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International and were very pleased with the choice. I'm in my 40s but have arthritish / mobility issues, like you we travel light, I didn't find the walk from station to hotel problematic.
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I was wondering where you have decided to stay? I’m just beginning the search for a hotel in Tokyo. It’s overwhelming.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yestravel
I was wondering where you have decided to stay? I’m just beginning the search for a hotel in Tokyo. It’s overwhelming.
Yes. We have decided to stay in Asakusa. We initially booked at the Asakusa View Hotel, then discovered it was farther from the train station than we wanted to be. We switched to the Hotel Gracery Asakusa, which just opened in October 2018, is 1/2 block from the main train station in Asakusa, and was cheaper than the Asakusa view.

We decided on Asakusa neighborhood because we wanted to stay somewhere more traditional, less less busy and crowded, and a LITTLE less touristy and shopping oriented.

BTW - I received TONS of help in planning this trip from the forums at TripAdvisor.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for responding.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 02:49 PM

We just returned from our 4 week trip to Japan. I keep meaning to do a trip report - one day!

We we stayed at the Park Hotel. You can take an elevator to the basement and the subway station is right there. Very convenient for our 5 nights in Tokyo. Nice hotel.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

We did look at The Park Hotel. Considerably more expensive than the brand new Hotel Gracery Asasuka, which is just next door to the station.

But if the price was comparable. . .
Old Dec 23rd, 2018, 11:18 PM

Hello. I have visited Tokyo nearly 7 times and i have 3 favorite hotels. I booked the room there more than once and I was always satisfied with their service.
Asakusa View Hotel
3-17-1 Nishiasakusa, Taito 111-8765, Tokyo Prefecture

Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku
7-27-9 Shinjuku, Shinjuku 160-0022, Tokyo Prefecture

Citadines Central Shinjuku Tokyo
1-2-9 Kabukicho, Shinjuku 160-0021, Tokyo Prefecture
I hope it will be useful for you!