Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Shanghai after the expo? Hope to visit in November.

Jan 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

I am hoping to go to Shanghai after the Expo for ten days in November and wonder if the city will be much changed. I like modern architecture as well as being interested in art, history and culture so any recommendations on must-see sites as well as the popular ones listed would be appreciated.

I have read Ekscrunchy and Shanghainese's excellent comments on shopping but any other tips on bargains would still be welcome. I mostly want small gifts to take home.

Has anyone tried the new museum pass that was supposed to be introduced in 2006 ? This citywide pass, arranged by the Shanghai Industrial Tourism Promotion Center, would provide pass holders access to 50 industrial museums in the city, as well as 10 other museums. I have heard that quite a few museums are now free so wonder if it is worth it. Does anyone know the cost if it's a good option?

Also what about a metro card. I have heard of an “IC card” and believe it can be used on all transport. Any info on that would also be great.

I have done some research but am after up-to-date info if there are any major changes expected in the city after that time. Thanks so much,Fodorites. Kerry.
Jan 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? Are these stupid tourist questions? Too far in advance?
Mostly I want to know if the city is going to be much changed after the expo.Will they be doing major renovations and changes to the infrastructure? Kerry.
Jan 16th, 2010, 05:38 AM

No, they are not stupid tourist questions. It is not too far in advance. They are doing lots of rehab in anticipation of the expo, but it will be over by the time you go. There will be lots of old buildings and new buildings to gawk at.

Taxis are very easy, so the use of the metro will be an ad hoc thing. Don't agonize over that minor detail. I will say that taking the subway during evening rush hour was quite an experience.

Are you set on November? If not, we were there in late September and the weather was perfect. The parks were full of people doing wonderful things.

Also, on this forum, pertsistence is rewarded.
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Kerry: I read somewhere that the Chinese gov't is spending more money to get Shanghai ready for the Expo than what they spent for 2008 Olympic in Beijing. Right now the city has been extremely busy with new constructions, renovations, face-lifting etc etc. I have no doubt that they will be all completed by May 1st - the opening day of Expo.

So when you get to Shanghai in November. 2010, you'll see the new Shanghai. Even though the Expo is closed on Oct 31st, I hope you'll still be able to see some of the pavilions.

For small gifts to bring back home, one of the popular places is the bazaar inside and around Yu Garden.
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Gpanda and lxchiang,

Part of the fun, quite a large part , is lots of advance planning and dreaming.

I am also so relieved that there will be still plenty of old as well as new to gawk at as a girl I met from Shanghai recently gave me the impression everything would be completely different after the expo. I had visions of the place being torn down and rebuilt!

Plus I am now in great anticipation of people doing wonderful things in the parks! I hope you will be doing wonderful things too, Gpanda and that you tell us all about it.

I would love to see the pavilions, lxchiang, just not keen on all the crowds at an expo. Will definitely check out Yu Gardens too. Thanks!
Kerry.
Jan 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM

Kerry, I just topped my trip report. It's long, but there's some good things to do in Shanghai. A walk through People's Park on saturday morning is great. You can combine it with a trip to the Urban Planning Center and some dumplings. Yum.
Jan 17th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gpanda,
Just reading now.
But first a personal question if you don't mind. What does the G stand for in Gpanda?
Great? Gorgeous? Good? Grandad? Or none of these? Just curious! I also wonder if anyone else has ever wondered.
Kerry.
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:08 AM

Giant panda, of course. The long-suffering Beth thinks it stands for gregarious.
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Doh! It's always the most obvious answer. Though looking at the responses to your posts, Beth may be right!
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:15 AM

"Giant" in this case refers to his ego, not size.

Was just in Shanghai last week. All the [re-]construction is to be done by the end of March, to give time for the dust to settle before the expo open. Old buildings are being remodelled, so they'll still be there. The Bund should be a much more pleasant experience, with all the traffic being shunted underground, so the "new" Bund will be bigger and pedestrians only.

Have to agree about going in September or October, rather than November. The busy months for the expo will be June to August.
Jan 17th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Micheal,

Funny! Do you know Gpanda personally or does his ego stand out in his posts!

Everyone is really making me look forward to revisiting China. I was in Beijing some years ago and just transitted(?) through Shanghai and really want to return. Also, I keep meeting lovely people from Shanghai including a friend's flatmate and a Sydney University student from there who was touring in Scotland. I also sponsor a little Chinese girl in the southern countryside so I am really keen to revisit China. Just been watching Paul Merton's TV series of travelling China from a British comedian's viewpoint and loving that too.

I will definitely consider September/October if it will not be as crowded. I will need to check costs as I assume hotel prices may be more expensive while the expo is still going?

I am also wanting to see some of the spectacular scenery in China and wonder how far from Shanghai the gorges area is. I know there are many,many areas of gorges and truly awe inspiring scenery but maybe you know of some not too far. I love cities but really want to expand on my experiences this time. As you can tell, I have not started researching outside Shanghai yet so realise , that in such a huge country, this kind of thing may be a long,long way away. But are tours outside Shanghai reasonably priced? As I said, I must do more research myself , so no worries looking anything up-just if you happen to know.

When in Beijing some years ago, I travelled with a group of the most wonderful Chinese Australians. Nearly all the tour group were born in Oz but were visiting to see where the ancestors came from. Mostly they did not speak Mandarin or Cantonese but it sure gave me some street cred to be seen with them, especially good when bargaining. They really looked after me and my parents too. An older lady on the tour was born there and she said that there was no way she would fly domestic Chinese airlines. Any updates on that?

Thank you again-Kerry.

Great trip report,Gpanda.I will be re reading it several times!
Jan 17th, 2010, 04:27 AM

Kerry-Shanghai is really fun. There's lots to do and gawk at. If September is not cost prohibitive, give it a try.

Micheal has had the misfortune of meeting me at a Bangkok GTG in November. In fact, I was sick and somewhat subdued.
Jan 17th, 2010, 08:04 AM

RE: the expo! I've looked at maps, and it seems to be a big sprawl, but where is the mail plaza/entrance? Near the Bund? Across the river, near the Pearl Tower? The web maps are almost illegible, those that I've found. Any links, anyone?
Jan 17th, 2010, 09:40 AM

The Expo ends October 31 and it will not be open to visitors any longer. All participating countries will remove their exhibits, and the pavilions will be remodeled and converted to other usage.
Jan 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM

SYLVIA3 : http://en.expo2010.cn/

Pretty sure this is the official Expo English website. The Expo site, by LuPu Bridge, is about 6-7 miles (very roughly) due south of the People's Square.

If you take a taxi from PuDong Airport to the city center area, most likely the taxi driver will take LuPu Bridge route and you will be able to see, from the highway, some of the pavilions as you are close to the bridge or on the bridge..
Jan 17th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Kerry : About "no way flying domestic Chinese airlines". This may be true before 1980 or so. In recent years, it is considered safe to fly with domestic Chinese airlines. They have relatively modern fleets consisting of Boeing or Airbus planes. They even serve free hot meals during meal time on short flights (like between Beijing and Shanghai)
Jan 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM

We flew domestic China airlines in September. Better than domestic US carriers.
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM

Gpanda, you will always be grand pa to me. I'm beginning to think I'm a bit dyslexic, but that's what I read. Sorry.
Jan 17th, 2010, 03:42 PM

My son would be surprised to learn that he has children. Plus, I'm nowhere near nice enough to be a legitimate grandpa.