Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Serviced apartments vs hotels in BKK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/serviced-apartments-vs-hotels-in-bkk-536041/)

alakshma Jun 11th, 2005 10:29 PM

Serviced apartments vs hotels in BKK

Hi

We (family of 5 adults) will stay for 5 days in BKK and was wondering about the relative merits of staying in a hotel vs a serviced apartment. We are looking at it from the angle of touring BKK and sorroundings rather than something like a chillout break (means we will not spend the daytime in the hotel/apt). Any comments.

Specifically we were considering the President Solitare vs the Davis hotel. We prefer to stay in the area around there. Any other suggestions? Price range $70-90 per room.

Thanks
Alakshma

hobbes Jun 12th, 2005 12:18 AM

Someone I know had a ratrher poor experience at Pres Solitaire recently. Check Emporium rates - location better than Davis as it is on BTS station. Somerset at Chitlom is also good both location and acco.

simpsonc510 Jun 12th, 2005 05:43 PM

Grand President is quite nice. I've stayed there. It isn't far from the President Solitaire. The walk to the skytrain isn't long (although that small street is quite busy and crowded with food vendors... interesting).
Carol

orgy7 Jun 13th, 2005 07:21 AM

hmm, there are many serviced apartment with the name "president" in them and the salitair is supposidloy the highest end of the lott. so it's seems strange someone would have all that much problems with the place. other then the fact that it's a bit deep into soi 11.

Guenmai Jun 13th, 2005 08:36 AM

On my upcoming August trip, I plan to give the Davies a one night try.I like to try different hotels. I'm curious about it,too. But on the Dec/Jan trip, I'm planning on checking into a serviced apartment for possibly the whole three weeks. Go on moveandstay.com for an extensive list of serviced apartments and addresses and then I would go to nancychandler.net and order her map of Bangkok...the new one is out...I was told just day before yesterday...and then you can find the streets of buildings that you are interested in and the restaurants/malls/sites etc...in the vicinity.Her map comes with a little booklet of restaurants/hotels/sites and LOTS of other helpful information.She'a an American, from San Francisco, who first lived in Bangkok back in the 60s and has been making maps for a long time.She now lives back up in S.F. area, but her daughter runs the business in Bangkok. I went through a list of about 35 serviced apartment buildings last year and the one that really stood out for me was the Somerset Suwan Park View...the one that Hobbes mentioned above. It's right at the Chitlom skytrain station. I love that location as I usually stay at the Four Seasons which is right around the corner from this building. So, I know the area very well and it's right in the heart of shopping. I also had considered the Emporium one, but their rates are very high. It's above the Emporium shopping center...the one that Hobbes is referring to. The Somerset Suwan Park View is more central as it's only a few stops in one direction to the river where you can take a river taxi to go to the Grand Palace and also Wat Arum and other sites.Happy Travels!

orgy7 Jun 13th, 2005 09:36 AM

moveanday.com actually one of the least extensive sites for finding serviced appartment in bangkok it only shows you some of the more elite places in town.

if you want a huge list that goes from street too street showing yu just about every property over 10k pluss.. then try www.roominbangkok.com

just like in any site you might have too contact them too see if they offer 5 day options..

Guenmai Jun 13th, 2005 12:37 PM

Yes...roominbangkok.com does have a long list of places, but the website is extremely slow plus I tried clicking, several times, on apartments in the sukumvit area and they never appeared. It didn't work. Plus...where are the photos of the places on roominbangkok.com? moveandstay.com's website is VERY easy to use and is full of photos of both the exterior and interiors of the places...plus the website is fast. Happy Travels!

orgy7 Jun 13th, 2005 08:26 PM

yes roominbangkok seems too be a stright up real estate agency where they list properties and you call and arange for them too take you for a looksy.. I just use the site as a reference point too see just about all the options I have.. I check a place I can offered then run it threw a search engine to see if I can get more info..

moveandstay seems too be a payed by the properties... just a note STAY AWAY from the cheeper offering on moveandstay they tend too be verry badly located.. Boss tower comes too mind.. also moveandstay seems too give higher quotes then some other sites..
---------
I personly have no beef with any site I'm just posting becouse I reserched places too live in bkk for about 2 years and have seen just about every site there is for serviced apartments.. unfortunatly I currentloy don't have access too the bookmarks I had of many of the better sites.

rhkkmk Jun 14th, 2005 08:26 PM

davis is not central but many serviced apartments are...svcd apts are generally cheaper and more roomy...

alakshma Jun 16th, 2005 04:06 PM

Thanks for all the great input. We came across one more serviced apartments, the Rembrandt towers, which is right next to the Rembrandt hotel. Anybody have experience with this one.

Thanks
Alakshma

simpsonc510 Jun 16th, 2005 07:17 PM

I have dined at the Rembrandt Hotel. It is a nice hotel. I would guess the apartments would also be nice. I've never seen them or stayed there.

orgy7 Jun 16th, 2005 08:22 PM

how much are you willing too spend?
what ammenaties (sp), swimming pool etc.. do you want?

alakshma Jun 17th, 2005 07:33 AM

I am willing to spend upto $40 per person (I am talking in terms of per person because there are 5 of us and we may be able to get like 2 bed apts). We are not concerned about usual hotel amenities like pool, spa etc but would sure like a nice lobby to relax and maybe a coffe shop/ bar but worst case we can do away with that also.

Our top priorities would be
a. the location (Sukhvumit)
b. the quality of the room (peaceful, clean, well furnished)
c. size of the room.

Thanks
Alakshma

Marilyn Jun 17th, 2005 11:06 AM

We have stayed several times at the Centre Point Silom and found it incredibly good value for the money. I believe they have several other locations as well -- perhaps one would fit your needs. http://www.centrepoint.com/