Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Serviced Apartments--Again (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/serviced-apartments-again-701021/)

mcbeanie Apr 29th, 2007 12:21 PM

Serviced Apartments--Again

Someone on the Forum suggested that we look at the Fraser SAs. Does anyone out there have a personal knowledge of these apts? The websites say "it overlooks Lumpini Park," and we are wondering how long a walk it would be to the BTS. I know it is one of the newer places, but what are the sizes of the rooms compared to other serviced apts. We have stayed in the Bumrungrad Residences before in a one-bedroom, but this time we will need a 2-bedroom apt.

Right now the Somerset Suwan Park View on Tonson, one block from Ploenchit looks good; however, someone also mentioned that they could stand some renovating. How bad is it, really? Carol, if you stay there this summer, I will look to you for advice on SSPV.

Decisions, decision -- location, location -- what choices!!!!!!!

Thanks.

mcbeanie

simpsonc510 Apr 29th, 2007 03:27 PM

mcbeanie
I am booked into Somerset Suwan Park for my 9 night visit in July. I will definitely report back on how it is.
Carol

lin53 Apr 29th, 2007 11:37 PM

mcbeanie
We stayed at Somerset Suwan Park in January 2005. We had a 1 bedroom and were very comfortable. At the time, we didn't feel renovation was necessary. Our 1- bedroom was spacious and 3 of us stayed....our 16 year old slept in the living room. As I recall it, our apartment did not have a washer/dryer, although there was a laundry room in the building. That might be an issue for you. Location-wise it was perfect. A very short stroll to Chitlom skytrain and of course all the shopping centres nearby. Ploenchit also within walking distance.

My husband and I have recently returned from a holiday in Thailand and we decided to give Centrepoint Silom a try due to all the positive comments on this board. We found it to be very similar to SSPV in feel and comfort levels and enjoyed being in a different location(ie near the river). Although it is close to the skytrain...Saphan Taksin...I would say that if one wants shopping and a lively nightlife, then SSPV would be better. Also, Centrepoint is renovating. Not a problem for us but some might be put off.
Have just looked at the Fraser Place website. It looks lovely and I would say that it's very close to SSPV if their map is accurate
Hope this helps.
Linda

mcbeanie Apr 30th, 2007 05:58 AM

Thanks Carol and Linda. I have looked at so many websites that my mind is floating -- and not in a good way. They are all running together and I can't remember what each has without re-reading. This is one reason I am asking for help. One of the absolute requirements is the nearness to the BTS, as I sometimes have difficulty walking distances, particularly in the extreme heat of July. (My husband says I need to work out in the gym with him.)

I'll keep looking, for we do have a few months -- until July, 2008. But it is true that the planning is half the fun of going there.

Carol, have a great time at the LA GTG.

mcbeanie

mcbeanie Apr 30th, 2007 06:38 AM

Okay -- another place asking for your comments. Any information on the Cape House serviced apartments on Luan Sang? They appear to be near Somerset Suwan PV and Fraser Place.

mcbeanie

Guenmai Apr 30th, 2007 06:47 AM

McBeanie...I was the one who e-mailed you about Fraser a couple of weeks ago. I had an extensive walk-through about two years ago when it first opened. At that time, they were still doing contruction on parts of the place. I liked it a lot and the staff that I dealt with was wonderful.
As for Somerset Suwan Park View...Hobbes knows the place and I have also had an extensive walk-through. She has suggested to them to renovate,too. It's not that it's horrible or anything, it's just more dated than some of the other serviced apartment buildings I've seen...sort of 80s. But, it was very clean, had a token-operated laundry room, a nice pool,is on a quiet side street, a block from Central Chitlom Department Store, and was otherwise fine. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Apr 30th, 2007 06:52 AM

As for Cape House, I haven't personally been there, but it has gotten very good reviews. There is also an excellent Italian restaurant on the premises. It's on the same street with the whole line of serviced apartment buildings...Fraser, Marriott, Cape House, the French one that I can't remember the name of, and a few others. I walked the whole street and had walk-throughs of a lot of them. I spent a good two hours on that street the day that I went. Happy Travels!