Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Serious Flooding in Thailand - What to expect (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/serious-flooding-in-thailand-what-to-expect-864140/)

Travel_Inspired Oct 24th, 2010 10:59 AM

Serious Flooding in Thailand - What to expect

Looks pretty bad. I arrive on Wed, 10/27!!

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/ne...-storm-Roundup

Anyone been here during a serious flood and know what to expect?

Thanks

swampfox1001 Oct 24th, 2010 11:02 AM

If you are staying by the river, things could get a bit tense. Bring some cheap sandals so you can wade a bit. You should be okay.

Kathie Oct 24th, 2010 11:40 AM

Where will you be in Thailand?

I've been in Bangkok when there was some flooding. I always stay on the river. They sandbag along the river to keep water out of the terraces of the hotels. The walk from the pier to the Skytrain is also sandbagged, and there are boards keeping you above the water.

Some streets will have flooding - be prepared to wade from time to time.

swampfox1001 Oct 24th, 2010 01:00 PM

Agree with Kathie. They are usually prepared for it and take action to minimize its impact on your visit. However, be prepared for some slight delays. Keep your sense of humor and adventure. And be careful on your impulses to take a Tuk-tuk - getting sprayed with dirty water is not always a good way to start or finish an outing.

kmkrnn Oct 24th, 2010 01:26 PM

We are right behind you arriving on the 29th. In the past they have done a good job with walk ways above the wet areas. I think by now most of the hotels have built above the high water line.

Travel_Inspired Oct 24th, 2010 01:40 PM

Thanks for the update and encouragement. This seems more serious than ordinary monsoon flooding and relief doesn't look good for the next week. I guess there isn't much I can do except go and hope for the best. I may have to turn my vacation into a humanitarian effort. Maybe I should pack lots of granola bars! Here's the latest:

"Bangkok, 24 October, 2010 [PDN]: in what is being described in the press as the worst case of inundation ever to afflict Thailand, 13 Thai provinces continue to suffer as the flood waters continue to rise amid persistent rain, while the capital is now being doubly threatened as the Chao Phraya River swells from the Northern and Central provincial overflows and the monthly high tide peak, as well as forecasts of more torrential rain over the next four days."

swampfox1001 Oct 24th, 2010 01:51 PM

Go with the flow :)

rhkkmk Oct 24th, 2010 01:55 PM

tong just reported to me that her house received quite a bit of damage from the rain... and that is in the bkk suburbs

Kathie Oct 24th, 2010 02:19 PM

Remember that they are giving you info about different areas. In some of the provinces, I expect the situation will be much worse than in Bangkok.

Kathie Oct 24th, 2010 03:23 PM

I hope Hanuman will weigh on on this question if there is anything else we should know about it.

Curt1591 Oct 24th, 2010 03:43 PM

If you are familiar with kKo Kred, here is a "normal" picture of the famous leaning chedi:
http://goo.gl/TGfg

This is what it ;ooked like yesterday afternoon: http://news.sanook.com/gallery/gallery/975246/186381/

The water level is still rising.

gailmo Oct 24th, 2010 05:45 PM

We are at the ROS right now. As we ate breakfast this morning we watched the water rise. It hasn't rained since we have been here, but it is the high tides along the river causing the problems. This morning they were sandbagging along the far reaches of the hotel complex--by the lower pool. Water seemed to be seeping in at that area. Otherwise everything else is fine.

And...as previous posters have said, everything is sandbagged and the walkways to the river taxis and to the skytrain are well sandbagged. Today and tomorrow will be a minor problem and then things should improve. We were going to take a Klong tour this morning, but the flood gates have been shut and I think no traffic in the back canals...sigh.

Our problem is that we are leaving tonight on the overnight train to Chiang Mai. I was told yesterday that the train tracks are flooded at one point and we probably will be bussed from one point to another to bypass the flooding. Oh well...just another adventure.

rhkkmk Oct 24th, 2010 06:00 PM

fly instead...

Curt1591 Oct 24th, 2010 09:24 PM

Here are a couple shots to show caparisons between normal and the flood stage. Click on the first photo to see the Wat Sanam Nua Pier entrance this morning. This is where one typically ferries over to Ko Kred.

http://goo.gl/Vf5A

swampfox1001 Oct 24th, 2010 11:49 PM

Will arrive on 29 Oct. Hope the worst is over by then.

Hanuman Oct 25th, 2010 01:16 AM

Just got back from an extended weekend holiday. Flooding in Thailand - the worst hit region is around Korat where flash floods has caused havoc to the area. The run offs from those floods are now reaching Bangkok and will peek, combination of high tide and run offs, by this Wednesday. I would not worry about it and unless you live by the river then I don't think any of you will see any flooding in Bangkok. It will only get bad if the flood barriers or dykes collapse but that's something that will most likely not happened.

Train travel disruption. We send cargo by trains, mostly to the North East of the country and only on a few days last week were parts of the tracks were flooded. If you have plans to travel by train check on the day or the day before your travel. If the tracks are flooded then fly or go in a coach instead.

Curt1591 Oct 25th, 2010 01:53 AM

Yes, the dykes, barriers and berms are the big concern around Bangkok. Riverside "flooding" is a periodic occurrence, but this is a little different.

Most of the discussions center around "riverside", but there's quite a bit of Bangkok actually below the level of the Chao Phraya. If some of these barriers are breached, the flooding would affect much more than just riverside. It could be a dynamic similar to what happened to areas of New Orleans.

Today, in Pakkred, the workers were complaining that many larger, fast moving boats were generating large wakes which, in turn, were eroding the barriers they were reinforcing.

Hopefully, all the barriers will hold and this will pass.

Hanuman Oct 25th, 2010 02:00 AM

The last time the flood barrier collapse in or near Bangkok was 20 or 30 years ago and that was in Pathumthani. The possibility of a collapse shouldn't be a concern at all.

Hanuman Oct 25th, 2010 02:03 AM

And even if it did collapse or if there was a breach it will be nothing like New Orleans after Katrina.

Curt1591 Oct 25th, 2010 02:08 AM

I'm sorry. I forgot you were back.

I wasn't comparing the possible damage; I was comparing the "dynamic". That is the threat, whether real or not.

I hope we can at least agree that we all hope we "weather" the storm. I'll return to my seat now.